Author Topic: A "Quick Start" guide to Rootschat ??  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Mayflowers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A "Quick Start" guide to Rootschat ??
« on: Friday 27 January 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I've no idea who this is going to but I would be overjoyed if you could get me started. Since many of the messages below, on this page, are from people who can't get started perhaps a 'Quick Start', illustrating paths or tags that actually exist would be useful.
 As a new member I am at a loss as to how to start. Please don't suggest the 'Help' pages, I've done that! When I select 'Forums' there is no 'New Topic' on my screen.
New members must make at least three postings (how?) before being allowed to use the PM facility. So what do you write in these, if not a query that can be answered?
I did notice on one of the forums an observation that several people have registered, appeared briefly in a chat-room and then are never heard of again.
Perhaps, like me, they too have fallen at the first fence.

Observations:
Go to the 'Home' page. There is no home page.
Moderators are listed in red. Where? I've not found this.
To create a PM click on 'xx messages'. That merely opens an 'inbox' (no messages input) with no hint of how to create a message.
Click on 'Forums' then 'New Topic'. My page shows no such hyperlink.

I wrote a (polite) letter to Europa House with these queries enclosing an SAE in June 2010. Still no reply after all these years.

Is there an 'Idiots Guide to Rootschat'?

Thanks, Mayflowers

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A "Quick Start" guide to Rootschat ??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 12 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mayflower,

"Idiots Guide to RootsChat" ?

When I wrote the Help pages I tried to make them as "idiot-proof" as possible, but there is always room for improvement :)

I'll have a go at it, but perhaps the others can give you a few tips to be going on with.

I'll split this from the "Personal Messages" topic to make a separate topic, as the feedback will be useful for writing a "quick start" guide to Rootchat.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Mayflowers  :)

Presumably you have a query or would like some information/help.

When you browse for Rootschat you will get the home page and across the top are the various sections e.g. Welcome, Forum  Help, Surnames etc.

Forum:
The page will have a list of 'forums' e.g. Beginners, Photographs, General, Countries and counties etc.
You would decide which of these applied to your interest in rootschat.
By opening one e.g.  Anglesey which is a 'child' board of Wales forum, you will see  'new topic' and you can then post your query. It is the same format on all boards.

Scrolling down to the bottom of the Forum page has a list of Users online - the ones in orange/red are the global moderators; the green ones are moderators.

I do hope that this message gets to you

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »

New members must make at least three postings (how?) before being allowed to use the PM facility. So what do you write in these, if not a query that can be answered?

Welcome Mayflowers ........

With a hello, thank you, or one of the emoticons and that will get you to your two posts to use the PM facility. :D

If you have posted on the wrong board, the Mods will move it to the correct board for you.   We were all new on here once, so we do understand what it is like for newbies to come on board. :)

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 12 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi - These posts have been helpful for another newbie.  But what is the deal with the emoticons??

Thanks
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 12 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi - These posts have been helpful for another newbie.  But what is the deal with the emoticons??

Thanks

They reflect our mood, facial expression, a wink - softens our words, so they don't come across as harsh ... the person on the other end of the screen can't see our expressions.

Not everyone uses emotions, it is up to the individual.

Maybe someone else can explain a bit better

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 12 04:11 GMT (UK) »
You said it well!  Thanks ;)
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 February 12 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Observations:
Go to the 'Home' page. There is no home page.
It's called the Welcome page! It's the initial screen you see if you get to Rootschat by typing www.rootschat.com.

To create a PM click on 'xx messages'. That merely opens an 'inbox' (no messages input) with no hint of how to create a message.
On the left of the page, underneath the name of the person, and their avatar, is a green scroll. Clicking on this will start a PM. Snippet attached to show what I mean.

Click on 'Forums' then 'New Topic'. My page shows no such hyperlink.
As stated, you need to navigate to the actual forum, in which you want to create a post.
Start by clicking on "Forums", then select the Forum Heading (e.g. England (Counties as in 1851-1901);
Then select the sub-forum, e.g. County of interest.
You will then see a "New Topic" button over on the right-hand side.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)