Author Topic: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly  (Read 30131 times)

Offline Allnamestaken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 March 12 14:03 GMT (UK) »
You are my cousin, and I claim my five pounds  ;D

I'm not at home right now but I think I have his Civil Service record and will check it out as soon as I'm back. Good to find another Irish connection on St Patrick's day...

Karen
Essex and London UK

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 March 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Allnamestaken, and welcome to Rootschat!
Remarkable, do you mean you have John MCDERMOTT's service record as a prison warder, after he came out of the army...?
regards, keith
But what I should be saying is, Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you too!

Offline Allnamestaken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

Only his Civil Service "evidence of age" dated 15th January 1863, which not only gives the date and place of his birth and baptism, but also identifies the witness Mary Dalton as his "sister and Godmother". I have only a paper copy and can't currently access Find my Past, but if you have a subscription it is there for you to find. (I think there was also another possible brother but haven't had time to go into it.)

And wouldn't we both simply *kill* for the "family Bible" she cites as the additional source of her information? (!!)

Karen

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Karen,
All very interesting - under what heading would I look for this vital evidence on Findmypast?  If you make a third post on here by replying to my rather feeble question, I can then PM (Personal Message) you on here to discuss Mr MCDERMOTT and what you yourself have discovered about the family, and from which of his children you are descended.
I'm actually off now to catch a train as I'm having a short break on the South Coast, but will be back in touch late Thursday...
very best wishes, keith

Offline Allnamestaken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

Civil Service Evidence of Age, it's now in the "Life Events" (BMDs) section it would seem.

John's son Thomas was my great grandfather.

Safe journey,
Karen

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 March 12 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Karen,
Back again - I was blessed with glorious weather, particularly on Wednesday, and I filled my lungs with sea air.  Fascinating to hear that you're descended from Thomas MCDERMOTT.  I'll PM you now...
regards, keith

Offline annep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 March 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

I am also descended from Peter Mcdermott and Alice Luby/Looby, through their son John . According to Peter's death certificate his mothers name was Mary Egan but I have never been able to trace his birth record or any more details about his parents

I am fascinated by Karen's records of his prison service - I havent found these yet.

Regards, Anne

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 March 12 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Anne,
Now the plot really thickens, more excitement stirring in Kings County genealogy!
But I'm a bit confused about who it is exactly that you're referring to when you mention Peter MCDERMOTT and Alice LUBY/LOOBY, "through their son John".
What date are we talking about for the death of Peter MCDERMOTT?
regards, keith

Offline annep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 March 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Can I claim a 'senior moment'? I am from a line of alternating Peter and John McDermotts and it doesn't take much to confuse me but I now have the family tree in front me.

Peter McDermott and Mary Egan were the parents of John born around 1834 Kileadeiry, Ireland. He went to Sydney, Australia as part of the 11th Regiment of Foot where he married Alice Luby/Looby. They came back to the UK where he became a prison warder and had 8 children, including Peter my GGrandfather. John and Alice returned to Sydney in the early 1890's where they died in 1910 and 1911 respectively.

Sorry for the confusion.

Anne