Author Topic: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly  (Read 30181 times)

Offline annep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 11:01 BST (UK) »
I just stumbled across the baptism record of John and Alice's second daughter Mary. She was born 1861 Richmond Barracks, Dublin according to this record
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ff98670343995

I am trying to work out who her second sponsor Mary Mc Dermott might have been as John's sister Mary would be Dalton by that time.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again Anne, and all you other descendants of John and Alice MCDERMOTT!
I don't know whether anyone has noticed, but I started a rather plaintive thread on the Tipperary boards for any details of the origin of Alice LUBY/LOOBY, and already a very generous Rootschatter has located on (a hard to make out) microfilm an 11th August 1835 baptism in Cashel for an Alice LUBY, daughter of Maurice LUBY (sic) and Margaret PURTIL (sic). 
I've also seen the name variation of PURTILL recorded in local directories for Cashel at around this time...
regards, keith

Offline jdalton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 16 April 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith, Anne and Allnamestaken
I did a quick Google search tonight. The following URL:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/o/o/Cynthia-M-Looby/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0079.html
has information about the family of a Maurice Luby (Looby) including supposed parents. I don't know who constructed this but it does look very promising!

Phillip

Offline annep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 16 April 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Another of our relatives who I met online paid someone to do some family research in Ireland a few years ago. This brought up some similar information - I need to check back through my emails - but I remember Margaret's surname being given as Purtill not Turtill and Maurice's parents were given as Edmund Luby and Alice Head.

I've Googled Looby/Luby to death and not come across this website?*?    Phillip your find has some new and really interesting leads - goody!

Anne

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 16 April 12 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Phillip and Anne,
Now, that Genealogy.com page you give, Phillip, showing the children of Maurice LOOBY (sic) and Margaret TURTILL (sic) is extremely interesting.  The various queries about it might include: why does a man called Maurice, born in Cashel in 1776 bear the surname LOOBY, when his parents are supposedly Edmunde HEADE and Alice LUBY (sic); why is Alice LOOBY's baptismal date given as August 11th 1833, when apparently the microfilm of the original PR has been deciphered as 1835?; and why has Margaret been given the surname of TURTILL instead of PURTILL?
But I think that the truth lies not far away, and a November 29th 1829 marriage between Margaret and Maurice looks most encouraging...
The plot thickens...
keith

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 20 January 13 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Alice Luby....she did have a brother Thomas born 1831 in Cashel Tipperary
so guess that is probabally the Thomas buried close to her.....I am researching from her brother Maurice born 1838 who married Johanne Ryan......I am not related but my friend is.
sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 20 January 13 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Sandie,
Thanks so much for this new information - and I've seen your other post on the LUBY/LOOBY Cashel thread I started some time ago.
It's a bit late here, but I'll PM you tomorrow about this family..
very best wishes, keith

Offline hollyrobs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 26 September 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all.....another 'cousin' here!  Mary Mcdermott (Dunstan, Smallcombe), daughter of John and Alice was my Great Grandmother. great reading your post :0)
Smallcombe..Bristol, Rhondda, Swansea
Roberts..Middlesex, Dublin
Thomas..Swansea
Edwards..Shropshire
Draper..Swansea
Wade..Swansea
McDermott..Ireland, Devon, I.O.W, Rhondda, Australia
Farrell..Tipperary
Hampton..Slough
Huggett..Surrey