Author Topic: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly  (Read 30180 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 January 12 13:58 GMT (UK) »
As well she might!

I should have explained about getting those hits.  If you haven't used roots ireland before, first register.  That bit's free.

Use the standard search box to insert the known facts, ie. births/baptisms; John McDermott, father Peter, County, Offaly. That brought up 2 hits; 1832 & 1837.

Switch to the advanced search tab & insert the year 1832 and a start letter for the mother.  The search engine works with a 'name begins with' criteria.  Keep trying letters that maintain that 1 hit.  If you loose it try a different letter.  Keep working through the alphabet regardless; Margaret may be recorded as Mrgt, or in the case of a family I have been looking at, Magtat.

Can be tedious but it's an expensive site.  Having had another look at the 1832 birth, the mother's name looks like Marcella.

Hope this helps.

brigyn

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: 1834/5 Birth/baptism for a John MCDERMOTT, parents Peter and Mary, in Offaly
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 January 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Brigyn,
Thanks very much for that tutorial...I seem to remember when the 1911 Census first came out resourceful Rootschatters discovered all kinds of ways to look at information that didn't seem accessible without paying for it...
keith

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 January 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Keith,

Just as an afterthought....

Do you have the 1857 ($30) marriage cert for John & Alice in NSW? I have found Australian ones to be quite detailed regarding names & occupation of spouses' parents.  If not perhaps someone in Sydney could look it up for you.

Regarding Alice, the only birth coming up in Tipperary is 1843 Alice Luby, father Jeremiah, mother Alice – not very promising!

I don't know if you've noted the following census record, or if it has any relevance anyway:
1851 Peter McDermott, 54 (1797), widowed school master, lodger, Carmarthen, Wales, born Kings, Ireland

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 January 12 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Br1gau,
How very rude of me (to offer an excuse, I haven't had my glasses on for most of today), but I've been mis-referrring to you, but I think I've got all the characters in your username correct this time...!
Anyway, whisper it quietly, but I have indeed sent off for that 1857 Marriage Certificate now at a reduced rate thanks to that Rootschatter who has set up that site to flag up such savings, Cora, I think her name is.  That should sort out a few answers, though I may have to wait several weeks before I have it in front of me.
Meanwhile, that 1851 Census entry looks entirely possible, fits all the facts as so far known - there must have been a huge outpouring of Irish People from their homeland in the 1840's and 1850's, with much looking-longingly-over-the-shoulder as they left.
Very best wishes, keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 February 12 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
Having sent away for and now today having received that 1857 marriage certificate, I was desperately disappointed that no names of parents of either bride or groom were given.
However, all is not doom and gloom, as the church/chapel they were married in was stated as being Presbyterian.
And thanks to the sterling efforts of a couple of Australian Rootschatters a notice of John MCDERMOTT's desertion from his regiment appears - just after his wedding, in fact - but no doubt he was overdoing the post-nuptual celebrations, and presumably was forgiven/punished appropriately and taken back by his regiment.
On the notice is given his birthplace as Kileadeiry, Kings County, and that he was 23 years and 8 months old.
So, birthplace, time of birth February 1834, religion Presbyterian.  Does this narrow the search for his baptism down a bit, with parents given as Peter and Mary at his death in 1910...?
keith

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 February 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
"Kileadeiry" might be the townland of Killaderry, which is in the civil Parish of the same name. It's located just north-west of Daingean (old name Philipstown).

I dont know if there was a Presbyterian church in Philipstown/Daingean in the 1830s, but during the 1890s was one on Tullamore, which is about 18km west of Killaderry. This church doesn't seem to appear on the older OSI maps of c1840

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 February 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Shane,
Killaderry sounds fine by me - it is so bizarre how these little snippets of vital information come from such unlikely sources.  Perhaps overdoing his marriage celebrations and getting into trouble with his regiment meant that John MCDERMOTT's place of origin was finally revealed...
keith

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 February 12 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

There are a few McDermotts listed for Kiladerry in the Griffith's Valuation Rolls, but no Peter I'm afraid

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

brigyn

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 February 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Br1gau,
What was it exactly that qualified you to be listed in those Valuation Rolls?  Many thanks for looking for me...
keith