Author Topic: Music Hall artists & singers  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Cilia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Music Hall artists & singers
« on: Saturday 28 January 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if there is anybody who knows about Music hall singers and artists.
I have gernations of Alexander women and some of their hubbies in the business and don't know where to find the information

1. Emma Jane (Emily) Alexander born 1867- Newington. She marriied Edwin Robert 1878 It is said she Music Hall singer at Kennington Theatre - stage name Little Butterfly

2. Jane Alexander in 1875 on her sons birth cert she is a public singer - she seemed to have given it up looking after her sisters children while they were on the stage.
Her sisters
3. Martha  Cecilia Alexander born 1865 her 1st husband Thomas Quinn on their marriage 1875 he is a vocalist
Birth of their 2 children 1878 & 1879 his profession is a vocalist
As I can't find any 1881 census I have no other details about him

She married Jame Henry Minehan 1888 but her children and her were on the stage in 1901 - at letter from Jane to her son says they were appearing somewher in Hackney area. This seemed to continued down to 1911 & later.  Under the name of Martha Alexander

Susannah(Susan) Alexander and her husband Harrison Richard Hudson in 1881 he is a Dramatic Agents  in Brighton
Have more but this box will not take it. But can anybody please help

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Music Hall artists & singers
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that.
Will have to try them

Was hoping there might be a music hall expert out there somewhere
 :) :)

Offline bluejohm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but did you ever get information about the Alexander music hall people?
I have photos of Susan Alexander and her husband (\Harrison Hudson) on stage amd would welcome more info or background

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello bluejohm and welcome to RootsChat.

Cilia hasn't been active on here since February 2017, however hopefully she still has the same email address and will receive notifiacation of your post. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear from you.

Offline Andreanewman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 22 00:52 BST (UK) »
Martha Alexander was my great great grandmother. Her first husband Thomas Quinn died. I only know of one child from that marriage.  She managed some of her children, including my great grandmother (also Martha, Marie on stage) as a troupe called the Minehans. They were mainly clog dancers, but also sang. I'd be very interested to find out more about the Alexander family, and can share information about Martha's family.  I realise this is a very old post, but please do get in touch if you get this post! Thanks. Andrea

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 22 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrea, welcome to RootsChat.

What information are you after about the ALEXANDER family - would you like more info on their careers, or their ancestors?

You may well know already, there are many mentions of "The Minehans" in the newspapers from the 1890s and later all over England, often with nice reviews eg:

"Mr and Mrs Minehan do well with song and dance, while Master Francis Minehan makes quite a hit as a miniature comic singer."
Saturday,  Apr. 1, 1893   Publication: The Era

Offline andyburge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Cilia..I'm related to Martha Alexander.  She's my 2nd great grandmother.  I'm interested in your comment about her having 2 kids.  I'm aware of Thomas Henry b1878, but wasnt aware of his sibling that you suggest was born in 1879.  Can you tell me any more?  Thanks Andy

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 19:21 BST (UK) »
QUINN, ARCHIBALD  THOMAS JOSEPH  mmn ALEXANDER  GRO Reference: 1876  J Quarter in ST SAVIOURS SURREY  Volume 01D  Page 132
QUINN, THOMAS  FRANCIS HENRY mmn ALEXANDER  GRO Reference: 1878  J Quarter in ST SAVIOUR SURREY  Volume 01D  Page 124 
QUINN, ROSE  CATHERINE LINDON  mmn ALEXANDER  GRO Reference: 1879  D Quarter in SAINT SAVIOUR SURREY  Volume 01D  Page 158
QUINN, FREDERICK  PATRICK LINDON mmn  ALEXANDER  GRO Reference: 1881  D Quarter in MANCHESTER  Volume 08D  Page 303

Not sure if these are the right family.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)