Author Topic: Graham Chopwell  (Read 1785 times)

Offline prudhoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graham Chopwell
« on: Saturday 28 January 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Researching Graham Family of Chopwell,

Edward Graham b 1849  m Jane Robson 1877
Margaret Jane b 1878   m George Gillender 1903
John George b 1880
Mary Hannah b 1883
Sarah Ann b 1885         m John Smith 1918 m George Grigg 1939 m       William Brown 1949
Selina b 1887                m  Thomas  Elliott 1907
Walter b 1891
Thomas Edward b 1892 m Elizabeth Coulson 1918
Charles b 1895              m Alice ?

Looking for any descendants to swop information.

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GRAHAM CHOPWELL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 14 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Still searching for information on the Graham family. Apart from Chopwell, they previously lived at Victoria Garesfield and Medomsley.

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 November 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Still on the look out for any information on this family particularly before 1800 when they were resident in Barrasford, Chollerton parish, Northumberland.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 November 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I do hate to see an unanswered post, but I have looked each time you have posted and am unsure what it is you want to know.

post 1 - you were looking for descendants so that is a very narrow field and it looks like there are none who frequent RC

The other two posts still haven't received any replies -  possibly because there is no detail of what it is you want to know.

It may be more productive if you can start with a particular query about one of these people, rather than an entire family.  Tell us what you know and what it is that you are still looking for.
That way we have a starting point and don't need to duplicate research you have already done.

Boo

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 November 20 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Trees on Ancestry say Edward Graham b.1849 was the son of a John Graham and Jane Hopper married 1846.   None of the submitters of the trees appear to have obtained a copy of the marriage certificate (full details aren't available online) to confirm the name of John's father and John himself states different birthplaces and ages on the census.   There are a couple of John's baptised at Chollerton 1816 and 1823 who's parents abode is given as Barrisford but without confirmation from marriage certificate how can you tell which one (if either) is possibly him?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 November 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,  John Graham ( b 1816 ) was the Son of William & Isabella Graham , William was a Husbandsman living at Barrasford Fell which is in the Parish of Chollerton. He married first Elizabeth Routledge at Allendale 13/08/1840, she died, 1 Son Matthew b 1844 1844, and then Jane Hopper ( b ) in 1846, 7 children including my G/Grandfather Edward b 1849, Edward m Jane Robson b 1854, 8 children including my G/mother, Sarah Ann Graham. It is the descendants of her siblings that I am attempting to trace.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 November 20 19:17 GMT (UK) »
NB any link to Family Search - you need to be signed in to FS to see the page, an account is free

Selina b 1887                m  Thomas  Elliott 1907

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

No "Selina" Graham, MMN Robson coming up in the births 1887 +/- 2 years anywhere in England & Wales
Though there is a Lena Graham mmn Robson, Q2 1886 Lanchester MMN Robson, which looks
quite likely

and the only marriage coming up in FreeBMD for this name combination was not in 1907
Q2 1905 Gateshead
Thomas Henry Elliott  and Selina Graham on the same page

possible 1911 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWHR-CDN

You'd need to check the image to see if the no of years married matches with the register entry year, but I think it will.

CHILDREN

Births
Thomas Edward Elliott , Q2 1907 Gateshead MMN Graham
Sarah Annie Elliott Q4 1909 Lanchester MMN Graham

can’t post details but if you check the 1939 register you should be able to find them

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 November 20 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Jane b 1878   m George Gillender 1903

Births
Margaret Jane Graham Q3 1877 Lanchester MMN Robson

Free BMD
Marriages
Q1 1903 Gateshead
Margaret Jane Graham and George Gillender on same page

No Gillender births with MMN of Graham in England & Wales, so this couple do not seem to have had any children,

1911 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWCG-SGM

image ‘should’ confirm they had been married for 8 years and had no children in that time

EDIT  added
Possible deaths

Newcastle Evening Chronicle
31 July 1941, page 7, col 5

GILLENDER Victoria Garesfield, 17 View Terrace, 30th inst., Margaret Jane, aged 64 years, beloved wife of George Gillender. Interment St Patrick’s Saturday,  4 p.m. Friends please meet at church.

Newcastle Evening Chronicle
25 March 1942 page 7 col 5

GILLENDER   20 Dene Bank Allendale Cottages, 24th. George, husband of late Margaret. Friends meet at St Patrick’s, Spen. Thurs 3 o’clock. Private.

Burials index for St Patrick's High Spen
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DUR/HighSpen/pat_burs

Boo

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 November 20 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank You, That looks to be correct, Selina was always known to the family as Lena evidently, the family gravitated to Victoria Garesfield and then to Chopwell, I recall as a very small, 5 year old, visiting relatives at Allendale Cottages but cannot recall who it was, it will all come together eventually but it is a bit like a jigsaw with scattered pieces, again, Thank You very much for your kind assistance.