Author Topic: Netherton Manor, Newton Abbott - abt 1861-1903 (Wm RENDELL)-  (Read 9881 times)

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Netherton Manor, Newton Abbott - abt 1861-1903 (Wm RENDELL)-
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This is a www.oldmaps image of Netherton House.
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/289505/72131/12/100604

and this is the Google Maps satellite view.
https://goo.gl/maps/Db6uKtRdDEx   There is no StreetView as the camera car hasn't gone that far along the lane.

Google Earth itself gives a clearer overhead view
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline CanaDe03

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather, William Rendell, moved here,to Canada in 1903 to the place that is named Lloydminster. I just visited their heritage home which was the first wood frame house built in that settlement. It has been moved and restored on the museum property now.This is so interesting to read the info on this sight. Yes, the manor back in England was in their family and I was told that it got divided up into smaller homes/apartments? I would love to return someday to that area and explore my heritage there. I would love to find other relatives too.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
  There is a possibility since I believe that Combe Cellars Pub is located within the same area as where the old homestead was.   

Glad to see you have some clarification on this from other locals..... I can state that Combe Cellars Pub is in the village of Combe-in-Teignhead, which is, as you previously noted, " a fair hike" away from the town of Newton Abbot. 
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 October 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
When I lived in Newton Abbot in the 1950s Combeinteignhead was normally written as one word without hyphens, fitting better with the pronunciation: coomenTINed. Stokeinteignhead likewise.

Between 1951 and 1956 I was at school in Newton Abbot (Wolborough Hill School), where I was taught geography by R. W. Rendell -- a very poor teacher and the most universally disliked master in the school.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 October 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
When I lived in Newton Abbot in the 1950s Combeinteignhead was normally written as one word without hyphens, fitting better with the pronunciation: coomenTINed. Stokeinteignhead likewise.

Quite right Athel..... I have only been in Torbay since 1972 - I will never be a local! ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.