Author Topic: Netherton Manor, Newton Abbott - abt 1861-1903 (Wm RENDELL)-  (Read 9823 times)

Offline gerripm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Netherton Manor, Newton Abbott - abt 1861-1903 (Wm RENDELL)-
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with information regarding Netheron Manor in Newton Abbott.  My Great Grandfather inherited "Netherton Manor" from his father (both Williams).  My Great Grandfather in 1903 moved to Canada.  I would like to try to get a pic or to find on google maps but I am confused as to whether I am looking for Netherton Manor as in the various census' or whether it might have been Netherton House.  In addition, could anyone tell me what the local cemetery is and if it is available on the net?  Many thanks!

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Netherton Manor, Newton Abbott - abt 1861-1903 (Wm Rendell)-
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1891 census, William RENDELL was the son of a farmer (also William RENDELL) at Netherton Farm House. (Piece: RG12/1699 Place: Newton Abbot -Devon Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Haccombe With Combe Ecclesiastical Parish: Combeinteignhead
Folio: 13a Page: 1 Schedule: 1 Address: Farm House Netherton) In 1901 he is also shown as a farmer of the Netherton Maor - but I think this refers to the manor farm house. Netherton Hall is shown as a separate listing and household.
This was located in the village of Farway - see http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Farway/index.html
Netherton House/Hall is a Jacobean Manor which has now been converted into 3 separate properties - see http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35353808.html for a photo.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline gerripm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Netherton Manor, Newton Abbott - abt 1861-1903 (Wm RENDELL)-
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I am thinking that Netherton Hall is in Farway which is a  hike from Newton Abbott (next village over).  I am fairly certain that Netherton Manor is located in Newton Abbott.  In 1881 Netherton Manor House is located on the same census sheet as Mill House & Chantry Cottage in Newton Abbott (William & Mary Rendell and family); in 1891 my family is in Farms House (Netherton) on the same page as Cottage of Old Farm House and Mill Cottage again in Newton Abbott.  In 1903 my family left for Canada.  Google Maps still shows Mill Cottage still standing and in Newton Abbott.  Chantry Cottage also still exists.  But I can not figure out if the Manor House is still standing and if so where it is.  I was able to find the following:  http://residentialsearch.savills.co.uk/property-detail/231698 which may be the homestead I just do not know.  There is a possibility since I believe that Combe Cellars Pub is located within the same area as where the old homestead was.  My best best may be to contact the town council or maybe a realtor with knowledge of history of the area.  Thank you.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 12 07:17 GMT (UK) »
OK, but the census clearly shows that they lived at Netherton Farm House, Netherton village, Civil Parish: Haccombe in the registration district of Newton Abbot which is not the same as living in Newton Abbot at all. It's like saying you live in Toronto when you actually live in a suburb like Unionville.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 12 09:53 GMT (UK) »
By using Google you will find details of Newton Abbot Cemetery see http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=10065
Images of the cemetery are found on Google Images.

There is also a slight chance that a burial took place at a parish churchyard although by that date many churchyards were full and closed for further burials.

The GENUKI Devon site >Wolborough gives information of a list of MI's [Monumental Inscriptions] for NA Cemetery
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 12 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Further to my earlier post Newton Abbot Cemetery did not open until 1911 so the local parish churchyard does seem to be the viable alternative.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline gerripm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 12 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all.  I believe we have found the Netherton House and I have made contact with a realtor in the area.  The home I found is located very close to all of the surrounding cottages (listed in close proximity in other census') and the pub.  The property has been reduced from the original 250 acres to 4 acres and was at one time a hotel until it was converted back to a home.  I have beautiful pictures now as well as a layout of the home.  My family is loving the research and I may even get a chance to see the home when we are in England this year!  We will knock on the door and see what happens!  I will also check out surrounding cemetaries (as well as the one suggested as my family left behind others who may be buried there)  since my family resided in that area for several generations before coming to Canada.  Thank you so much again!

Offline monacochick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I know Netherton House quite well, and I believe that Netherton House and Netherton Manor are one and the same, located in Combe-in-Teignhead, near Newton Abbott. The property was on the river Teign. The house went by the name of NETHERTON HOUSE, though it was a small manor. I spent two summers there as a child to learn the english language. It was owned then by a family of a french navy captain who had met his English bride during the war and purchased the manor to run it as a family home with paying guests who stayed for several weeks at a time (mostly children of well to do families from around the world. The family's name was BAUDOUI (not sure about the spelling). They had three children:: GUY, MIRANDA and VAN who must be in between 70 (GUY) and 65 (VAN) by now. I have photos of the house/manor but would have to do some searching to send them. It was said that Churchill spent some summers there in earlier years. It was a lovely place with beautiful grounds, kept in their natural state. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Offline bumble92

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 November 16 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I can't believe I have just found this thread. My Grandparents owned Netherton House and then Netherton Cottage from the years 1979 to the 1990s, they ran it as a hotel and then a home. I was there from the age of 3yrs old and I have such amazing memories of it.