Author Topic: Hereford Booth Hall - directory look-up request  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hereford Booth Hall - directory look-up request
« on: Sunday 29 January 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in names of Publicans of the Booth Hall in Hereford before 1843. In particular, I would like to know more precisely the date between 1830 and 1835 that Barnaby Gallatt or Gallett became the Publican.

The details I have are below, if anyone has access to other directories or more details I'll be very grateful!

Pigot's Commercial Directory of Herefordshire 1830:
Booth Hall, William Probert Publican.

Pigot's Commercial Directory of Herefordshire 1835:
Booth Hall, Barnaby Gallatt, High Town.

Pigot's Commercial Directory of Herefordshire 1840 (Index):
Gallett, Barnaby, High Town, Hereford, Publican (Booth Hall Inn).

Pigot & Co.'s Directory inc. Herefordshire 1842:
Booth Hall, Barnaby Gallatt, High town.

Pigot & Co.'s Directory inc. Herefordshire 1844:
Booth Hall, Barnaby Gallatt, High town.

Thomas Winter, AKA Tom Spring, 1795-1851, the prize-fighter who was champion boxer of all England from 1823-1824 retired to Hereford, and for some years was the landlord of the Booth Hall. He is mentioned in George Borrow's 'Lavengro'.

Thanks,

Nick

One-name study of the Gallett family

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hereford Booth Hall - directory look-up request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 19:56 GMT (UK) »
"Diary of a Pub" - all from the Hereford Journal

21/11/832 - On Sunday last died, after a long and severe illness, Mr Probert, of the Boothall Inn, in this city

9/1/1833 + 23/1/1833
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION
All that the said valuable FREEHOLD MESSUAGE or Dwelling House and Inn, called or known by the name of the BOOTHALL INN

27/3/1833 - in reporting a Court Case a witness is reported stating "I saw the prisoner Williams at the Boothall Inn; he was in the house when I went there"

(Pub now in new hands? Unfortunately the report of the Court case does not name "mine host")

20/11/1833 MARRIAGES - On Wednesday was married, at Lydney, near Chepstow, Mr Gallett, of the Boothall Inn, in this city, to Ann, second daughter of the late Mr J Taylor, of Tarrington, in this county

1/11/1843 - Ann, widow of the late Barnaby Gallett, thanks her customers for their patronage "for the last 10 years" but "has declined business in favour of Mr William Payne".

Barnaby died 7 June 1843 and Anne died Sep 19 1857 at the Brook House, Torrington, age 64.

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Correction - just realised the date of the Court case does not reflect date of offence/witness activity.

Checked court case - the events occurred 10 Oct 1832. So pub not necessarily open 27/3/1833 as per previous post.

Barnaby's wedding remains the earlist the Hereford Journal can put Barnaby in the pub

regards   

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
In "The Pubs of Hereford City" by Ron Shoesmith and John Eisel it says that the exact date when the Booth Hall first became an Inn is uncertain. It is recorded that there was cockfighting at a cockpit there in 1686. The first record of a landlord's name is in 1727 when a Joseph Gwillim applied for an alehouse licence there, followed by Thomas Willim in 1751, Elizabeth Willim in 1755, John Willim in 1766 and George Willim in 1780. Presumably all members of the same family. George Willim bought the property from the City authorities in 1783. Tom Spring became the keeper in November 1824 and his farewell dinner was held there on 6th December 1827. His successor was William Probert.
Hope this is helpful. Regards
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 12 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both - this is very helpful and much more than I expected!

The additional details from the Hereford Journal are valuable in confirming the name & location of Ann Taylor's father, but most of all that Ann died at Brook House.  I believe that the Galletts living at Brook House at the 1841 & '51 censuses were likely to have been Barnaby's parents.

Can you clarify the wording from the Hereford Journal - does this suggest that Barnaby and Anne both died at Brook House? I suspect not, as the entry for Barnaby's death has Hereford, while Ann's death was recorded in the Ledbury registration district, which included Tarrington - but it's good to be sure!

Thanks again

Nick

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 12 16:36 GMT (UK) »
For the record: after more scrutiny, your replies have persuaded me that in fact Elizabeth Gallett b. abt. 1774 and living at Brook House in Tarrington was not Barnaby's mother, who confusingly was also Elizabeth Gallett and born abt. 1774. The information from hanes teulu helped me to find that the reason that Barnaby's widow lived at Brook House was probably because her brother had taken it over.

Again, many thanks to you both,

Nick

Offline Robert Wilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 December 17 05:17 GMT (UK) »
"Diary of a Pub" - all from the Hereford Journal

21/11/832 - On Sunday last died, after a long and severe illness, Mr Probert, of the Boothall Inn, in this city

9/1/1833 + 23/1/1833
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION
All that the said valuable FREEHOLD MESSUAGE or Dwelling House and Inn, called or known by the name of the BOOTHALL INN

27/3/1833 - in reporting a Court Case a witness is reported stating "I saw the prisoner Williams at the Boothall Inn; he was in the house when I went there"

(Pub now in new hands? Unfortunately the report of the Court case does not name "mine host")

20/11/1833 MARRIAGES - On Wednesday was married, at Lydney, near Chepstow, Mr Gallett, of the Boothall Inn, in this city, to Ann, second daughter of the late Mr J Taylor, of Tarrington, in this county

1/11/1843 - Ann, widow of the late Barnaby Gallett, thanks her customers for their patronage "for the last 10 years" but "has declined business in favour of Mr William Payne".

Barnaby died 7 June 1843 and Anne died Sep 19 1857 at the Brook House, Torrington, age 64.

regards

Thomas Winter (Tom Spring) is a relative of my great grandfather Trevor Lawley of St Martins Street Hereford as he married Tabitha Winter.  After Tom left the Booth Hall he went to London and became a pub landlord. He died in London and was buried at Highgate Cemetery. The family were butchers and lived at Fownhope Herefordshire. Toms father was Joseph and mother was Mary Winter.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 December 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
The Cambrian, 27 Aug 1825

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3326005/3326008/8/

see bottom col. 3, para beginning "The Housewarming dinner ..."

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 December 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, both.

I now have a list of licencees of the Booth Hall up to 1890, still a few gaps, though!

I made some notes on Tom Spring when researching the Booth Hall. Wikipedia has an entry, but this states that he was buried in Norwood, rather than near the Castle in Holborn where he was licensee?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Spring

"After his death on 20 August 1851 his funeral was well attended, with many neighbours from The Castle, Holborn, walking with his coffin to West Norwood Cemetery. Spring was buried under his real name of Thomas Winter."

As yet, Barnaby Gallett's background continues to evade me, although he was a publican in Chepstow prior to the Booth Hall

Regards

Nick