Author Topic: Hereford Booth Hall - directory look-up request  (Read 6047 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hereford Booth Hall - directory look-up request
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 December 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Had you checked Welshnewspapers online?

http://newspapers.online.wales

I searched for "gallett" using date sliders to limit dates to 1804-1843

Couple of snippets re. his Chepstow days. Good to see he wasn't averse to the old "lock-in"!

What, exactly, do you mean by background?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 December 17 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Correction - it was a John Gallett, not Barnaby, that had the 1824 lock-in.

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 December 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Barnaby has been nagging away at me for a while! I'll have a look at Welsh Newspapers online - thanks for this info.

Landlords of the White Hart Inn, Beaufort Square, Chepstow were John Gallett 1823-5, James Gallett 1825-30, and Barnaby Gallett 1830-2.

The first records I have of Barnaby are as landlord of the White Hart Inn, then his marriage in 1833 to Ann Taylor while at the Boothall Inn in Hereford. The birth of his and Ann's daughter, the deaths of his daughter and mother and his own demise in 1843 all happen within these few years. It must have been very hard for his widow to lose so much in such a short time.

Local newspaper cuttings show that he and his wife Ann were very popular and respected in Hereford, but where was Barnaby for the first 29 years of his life, who were his parents, and how was he able to purchase the Booth Hall, along with its warehouses, workshops, yards and other dwellings?

The IGI shows that Barnaby Davies Gallet was baptised in Tarrington, Herefordshire on 19 June 1796, the son of Elizabeth Gallet. His father’s name is not recorded.

Barnaby’s widow Ann Gallet (Taylor) was visiting the Taylor family at Lays in Tarrington during the 1851 census. John and Elizabeth Gallett (nee Marks) living at Brook House, Tarrington at the June 1841 census were not Barnaby’s parents - Barnaby’s mother Elizabeth Gallett died at the Booth Hall in January 1841. In 1851 Elizabeth Gallett (nee Marks), now widowed, was still living at Brook House, where she died in 1856. Ann Gallet (nee Taylor) also died at Brook House, on September 19th 1857 aged 64, possibly because it was then the residence of her brother Bennet Taylor.

I have notes of Galletts in and around Tarrington from before 1562, but no link to Barnaby, and no others with the name.

A possible connection may be to Barnaby Davis, Yeoman farmer of Coldmore, Woolhope, a parish neighbouring Tarrington. He was b.abt 1762, poss. in Marden, Herefordshire and died in 1829. If I can get a copy of his will, this may help. He had a son named Barnaby Davis from his second marriage, who was a wheelwright and who also died in 1843.

But any connection may depend on knowing who was the first wife of Barnaby Davis. Their daughter was named Mary, perhaps after her mother. He also had a natural daughter, Elizabeth.  She did not marry, and remained with Barnaby Davis’ second wife Mary Davis (nee Jones), after the other children had married . Mary may have been her stepmother, or her birth mother  - Elizabeth is described as daur. on 1841 & 1851 censii. Barnaby Davis  this may be a red herring, of course

Nick

One-name study of the Gallett family

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 December 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying. I'd identified Barnaby's baptism, marriage, daughter's baptism, daughter and mother's deaths and Barnaby's death.

I did note the "Davies" middle name, when I found the baptism. In the absence of father's name, surnames used as given names can point to the putative father. But to find a "Barnaby Davis" in the locale - certainly a front runner!

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 December 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is a possible, especially as Barnaby Gallett bought the Booth Hall - a fairly substantial property - shortly after Barnaby Davis' will was proved in 1830, which might have provided the funds.

Hereford Records Office has the will of Barnaby's widow Ann, among other Galletts from Tarrington and I'm hoping these may offer be a clue when I get round to ordering them (actually, I think I might treat myself to these as a Christmas present!)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I checked for Barnaby Davi(e)s' will on the Hereford Wills index - drew a blank.

Found skeleton details for Barnaby Gallett, Ann Gallett and Elizabeth Gallet (mother)

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 December 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »
No, nothing in the index there, but there's an abstract on the Wills Of Hereford site
http://willsdb.gukutils.org.uk

Perhaps I should start a new thread on Barnaby?

Nick

Offline Gallett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gallett
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 July 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Gallett are my ancestors from Hanley Castle Worcester and Tarrington Hereford. Galletts also lived in Shobdon.

Regards
Dawn

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 July 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Thanks for your message, I've been researching the Gallett family for a while, although haven't had much time in the past few years and have only had a chance to look at it now and again. I think we have been in contact previously? I'll send a PM.

regards

Nick