Author Topic: Vanished - William H. Sharratt and Elizabeth M. Sharratt  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vanished - William H. Sharratt and Elizabeth M. Sharratt
« Reply #27 on: Monday 23 December 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Have found out that the S.S. Highland Laddie arrived in Buenos Aires on 28 June 1911. Now trying to find out what consequently happened to William Sherratt after that in order to discover if he may have been 'my' William Sherratt/Sharratt. Have  also posted a seperate thread relating to this under the 'Other Countries' forum just to widen the net.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 December 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I would guess that Elizabeth and William had gone their separate ways possibly over the issue of the child's parentage. Elizabeth isn't aware/doesn't know whether William is still a live but wishes to remarry so decides to slightly alter her name to cover her previous marriage and as she has to provide no evidence to show she is a widow or what her name is just marries as Moore and no one really the wiser!!

If there was no father on Olive's birth certificate the indexes often put the mother's name in the column head mother's maiden name usually signifying that the mother was not married. This would have been the assumption made by the registrar for Elizabeth as she would not indicate she was married as no father's name given.

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gibel, what you say certainly makes sense. It puzzles me however that on the birth certificate of daughter Olive her name is stated as 'Elizabeth Moore formerly Moore'. Why not 'formerly Wilson', as that was after all her maiden name? You have though sparked off a few new ideas in my mind. If, as you say, Elizabeth's widowed status was bogus  it may follow that  William  was in fact still alive. I have to be open to the idea that he may have died after 1918 - maybe well after. Also, he may have adopted a similar 'strategy' to Elizabeth and also remarried, claiming himself to be a widower. That could make finding any such marriage a bit of a lottery. Hey ho, who ever said this family history lark would be straightforward?!

Regards

Doddie

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 April 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
God bless the 1939 England and Wales Register. I have found  my William Sherratt/sharratt. At the age of about 77  he was living in Upholland, Lancashire. The  birth date for the 'William H. Sherratt' in the register is given as 13th June 1862, the very same date that appears on the birth certificate for 'my' William when he was born in Hindley. In 1939 he was living with a Mary Sherratt who was born on the 1st September 1855. My task now is to try and see if I can piece together what William had been doing between 1901 and 1939 - wish me kuck.

Regards

Doddie

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 April 19 19:42 BST (UK) »
A possible death for him then: William Henry Sherratt aged 84, Mar qtr 1947 Ince 10c 687.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 April 19 19:57 BST (UK) »
Good spot avm228, I will order a copy of the death certificate asap. Hope there is some helpful information. I just wish the BMD certificates in England were as detailed as the ones in Scotland. I have a strange feeling that the identity of the informant may be of little help. If William was a widower when he died and had no children after setting out on his  new life after his relationship with Elizabeth had foundered there may have been no family to act as informant on his death. I will have to rely on other information to corroborate whether the death certificate is that of 'my' William. On the 1939 Register William's occupation was 'Railway engine driver, retired'. Maybe I can try and follow a job timeline to find out more.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 May 19 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi avm228, received the 1947 dated death certificate yesterday. It is the correct William Sherratt. Luckily, as well as the address he was living at when he died (154 Upholland Road) it also has for some reason an address in the occupation section of the certificate - 16 Grove Road, Upholland, the same address that appears in the 1939 register. The actual occupation (retired engine/locomotive driver) matches as well. The informant was, 'J. Halsall, nephew, 49 Netherley(?) Road, Wigan'. I am now trying to establish who his parents were in order to establish how the nephew connection fits in. Still determined to try to fill in the timeline gap for William covering the period from 1901 and 1939. I never thought I would become fixated over someone like this.

Regards

Doddie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 04 May 19 19:35 BST (UK) »
New thread here re J Halsall - found (hopefully)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=812429.msg6728526#msg6728526

Posted just for information to prevent duplication of information.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 05 May 19 09:32 BST (UK) »
In conjunction with my other thread - thank you heywood for posting the link, I utterly forgot to do that myself so engrossed was I in my searching! - I have  made progress. john Halsall was indeed William's nephew. He was the son of William's sister Anne/Ann (born in Ince in about 1851). Further details are of course contained in the link. I have also discovered some other information. 154 Upholland Road was the site of the old Billinge Hospital (now the site of a new housing estate, so I understand). Until 1930 it was called the Wigan Union Hospital.

Regards

Doddie