Author Topic: Wavendon burial and/or MI of Harriet HARRALD  (Read 1249 times)

Offline splodge1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wavendon burial and/or MI of Harriet HARRALD
« on: Monday 30 January 12 03:43 GMT (UK) »
A relative, Harriet ILES, married Walter Douglas HARRALD in 1879 in London. In the 1881 census they are at Wavendon, at the Plough Inn. Sadly Harriet died later in 1881 in the Newport Pagnell RD which covers Wavendon. I therefore strongly suspect that she is buried at Wavendon. I would be extremely grateful if SKS could look up the burial entry for me in the Parish register and/or the gravestone inscription, (assuming there is one).
Many thanks,
John HODGES
British Columbia, Canada
**Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
NTH:Hodges, Warwick, England, Merrill, Newcombe, Wilford, Buckby, Tarry, Clark, Langton
LEI:Iliffe, Swingler
BUK: Howe(s), Johnson
BRK: I(s)les, Abercrombie, Lovegrove
DEV: Greenslade, Smale, Medlon
SFK: Reynolds
MAY: Scarlett

Offline Hogsty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wavendon burial and/or MI of Harriet HARRALD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
I am researching the Plough Inn at Wavendon and came across this posting.  I know the Harralds were only there c.January 1880 to c. August 1882, but if you have any more info about them, I would be pleased to know it.
I will go and see if there is a grave for her at Wavendon.
Paul
Researching Woburn Sands (was Hogsty End), Wavendon, Aspley Heath and Walton.

Offline Hogsty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
The Buckingham Express, 18th June 1881:
“WAVENDON ODDFELLOWS FEAST.— On Monday last, the members of the ‘Henry Hugh Arthur Hoare' Lodge. M.U., held their annual festival at the Plough Inn. Wavendon. Some sixty persons sat down to dinner, amongst them the farmers and landowners of the parish. The Dunstable Brass Band (Fourth Beds. Volunteers), conducted by Mr. G. Franklin attended at an early hour. The repast provided by Mr. Walter Harrald, the host, was one of unusual liberality. There was a round of beef weighing 40 pounds or more, a sirloin of beef of 29 pounds, two legs of pork (home-fed) of 18 pounds each, legs of mutton of the choicest quality, with plum puddings and pastry in extreme abundance. The meet was supplied by Mr. Benford, of Fenny Stratford, and Mr. Wm. Facer, of Wavendon. The pork was from a good fat pig killed by Mr. Bonner of the village. The sick and general fund shows a balance of £416 0s. 3d; the management fund, £47 16s. 9d.; total worth of the lodge is £488 17s. This includes £50, an absolute loan, brought forward from year to year. It would be a gracious act of the trustees if this sum were utterly obliterated from the minds of the members and their friends', for it only by reflection mars the happiness of many associated with the club, and it must be received as an absolute loss. One member only has been made during the year, five have left by non-payment, and one by clearance. The morning was beautifully fine, but at noon a thunderstorm broke over the district and the usual visit of the members and the band to their liberal patrons was limited to a few only. All went well and happily; there was no breach of the peace. An extra hour, accorded on no previous occasion, was granted to Mr. Harrold, and amid the gratified plaudits of the villagers, the band separated from them with the good old piece of music 'Auld Lang Syne.' ”

Offline Hogsty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
She was buried there 31st December 1881 according to Registers, but there is no known marker.