Author Topic: Bradford-green, Cheshire  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Andy Harmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford-green, Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Ok   Those that can't tolerate the ramblings of an amateur historian switch off now..

The only Bradford type name I've got is the one that's north of Winsford and south of Rudheath. To the west of what I assumed was the broad ford is Bradford Mill.  Immediatly north west of the mill was an extensive area known as Vale Royal Park.  It isn't really shown on the cheshire tithe maps but you can see it clearly on the later ones.  This vast area was owned by non other than Lord Delamere who was a regular with the Cheshire Hounds (hunt) so it surely fits that he would use this vast open area for hunting ??  Large areas in this district was classed as wasteland; wasteland in Cheshire was often associated with very sandy soils because it was poor for arable; the sandpit in the vale royal park and numerous sand quarries (now) suggests this was similar.  Good adder habitat in lowland Cheshire is associated with bracken, gorse and heather ... all grow on sandy - usually acidic- soils.  I may be talking out of my hat but I'm confident that if Cheshire hunt gets back to me I'll be close... thanks everybody.

Andy

Offline historyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was interested to read about a Bradford in Cheshire.  I had wrongly assumed that the Bradford in Manchester was originally in Cheshire but had got swallowed up by that city.

Can anyone tell me any more about the Cheshire Bradford?  Are there any more settlements in Cheshire called Bradford?

Thank you

Offline suzie9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Havent heard of Bradford Green but there is a Bradfield Green on the A530 which is the road between Middlewich and Nantwich if this helps at all.
Holding, Liverpool / Cooper, Birmingham / Leather, Cheshire / Bowman, Ireland / Cadle, Liverpool /  Broady, Cheshire / White, Liverpool / Dodd, Liverpool / Dodd, Birmingham / Lea Cheshire / Higham Liverpool /Plant Cheshire

Offline historyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford Green, Cheshire
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
No, I think I was mistaken about Bradford Green, but I am looking for Bradfords.  There seems to be a Bradford east of Rudheath, and Bradford Wood north of Winsford, and I have heard of a Bradford Mill

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline historyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these.  I have no Cheshire local history at all so comments on the below most welcome.

I have a suspicion two settlements called Bradford are involved.  One to the east of Rudheath [SJ 6873] and associated with Shurlach; the ford perhaps over (?through) the Wincham Brook.

The other is north of Winsford with Bradford Wood House and Farm [around ST6468] and Bradford Mill with the ford on the River Weaver.

The Bradford House to the east of Nether Alderley is not near any waterway shown on the 1 inch map [OS Landranger 118], so I wonder if perhaps it is associated with the Earls of Bradford who took their name from the Shropshire Hundred.

Anne

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »

I have a suspicion two settlements called Bradford are involved.  One to the east of Rudheath [SJ 6873] and associated with Shurlach; the ford perhaps over (?through) the Wincham Brook.

Bradford Farm https://maps.nls.uk/view/114583267#zoom=4&lat=6551&lon=13723&layers=BT is called Bradfield Farm on earlier maps. 1877 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/368280/373062/12/100093 It is alongside the Trent and Mersey Canal, not Wincham Brook

OS reference SJ682730 or full grid reference 368283, 373054
Side by Side https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.2541&lon=-2.4773&layers=168&right=BingHyb

The other is north of Winsford with Bradford Wood House and Farm [around ST6468] and Bradford Mill with the ford on the River Weaver.

Bradford Mill https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.2135&lon=-2.5346&layers=6&right=BingHyb
Grid Frefernce SJ647686

There is Wood Farm, also on the side by side, Grid Reference SJ640684, wich was renamed Bradford Wood Farm sometime after 1954.
On the 1965-71 map there are also Bradfordwood Cottages https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/368280/373062/12/100954https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/364039/368464/12/100954

I hope this information is of some use.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 18:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline historyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 March 19 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I suggested Wincham Brook as it was the only natural waterway I could see next to Braford/Bradfield Farm. I have no idea how the construction of the Trent & Mersey Canal affected local natural waterways

Earlier in this topic there was a query about Braford/Bradfield Green.  Perhaps the same has happened here, only in the reverse.

Thank you all for your comments and help.  Obviously the Bradfords of Cheshire need some more thorough investigation.

Anne