Author Topic: Jeremiah CAMPION Leitrim, Co Cork.  (Read 3054 times)

Offline cynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah CAMPION Leitrim, Co Cork.
« on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
My gt x 3 grandfather Jeremiah CAMPION b.1809 Leitrim, Co Cork, came from a wealthy landowning family of Campions. He married his first cousin, Sarah BUNWORTH in 1828, which his family disapproved of and he was cut off without the proverbial penny.  He then left Ireland with his wife and went to India joining the East India Company. Family hand downs say he rose to a Major but give no indication of which regiment he was with.
What I am trying to discover is just when he left Ireland and sailed to India. 
Any suggestions of how to find this gratefully accepted.  I have already tried the FIBIS site.
Thank you
cynn  :)
Shortland,(Cambridge and Surrey) Wooton,(Norfolk and Cambridge) Vincent and Kemp(Suffolk) in England
Campion, Duncan, Costello & Roane in Ireland and India
Fredericks, Rodrigues, Smith, Kelly, Hussey, Gunther and Peacock in India and ???

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah CAMPION Leitrim, Co Cork.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
So the Jeremiah Campion in the Artillery service who disembarked from the Thames in 1829 is not him?
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline cynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Whooooo, very possibly.  Where did you find him please?
Shortland,(Cambridge and Surrey) Wooton,(Norfolk and Cambridge) Vincent and Kemp(Suffolk) in England
Fredericks, Rodrigues, Smith, Kelly, Hussey, Gunther and Peacock in India and ???

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 12 23:34 GMT (UK) »
At FIBIS.  The website did not react very kindly when I tried simply clicking the link I bookmarked, so I'll tell you how to get there:

Click Find Person

Enter first initial J, last name Campion, use default search, click Search.

Under Search Results, choose "Embarkation Lists of EIC Recruits to India."  There should be one match.  Click that and you should see:

Jerh Campion, Artillery, Home Parish = St. Ann's, Ship and Year Thames 1829

PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline cynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks skibbgirl.  I've put Jeremiah Campion in loads of times and found nothing, but never put just the initial. Websites eh!! LOL
 Right I've found it, thanks very much.  The St Annes Home Parish is a bit of a bummer as it is in Lancashire and there was a fair number of unrelated Campions in the Lancashire area, so I have to assume he was one of them.
I suppose it's possible that my Jeremiah came across with his wife from Ireland and lived here for a short while before joining up but that would be hard to prove.
Thanks so much for your info though. :)

Offline cynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
BINGO!!  I hadn't clicked to open it up when I posted the above.  You found him.  Many many many thanks. :-*

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
BINGO!!  I hadn't clicked to open it up when I posted the above.  You found him.  Many many many thanks. :-*

Wow - it truly gives me a great feeling when I help somebody wrestle and conquer a dumb computer.  Glad you found him.  :D

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 April 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, read your post ref the above. Some information for you that you may not have.

Ann Williamurah Campion born 11/2/1835 in Madras India
Parents Jeremiah Campion & Sarah

Possible marriage for above on 23/4/1851 in Mhow Bengal to William Master

Deaths:  Michael Campion d. 30/6/1831 Parents Jeremiah & Sarah Campion
               Sarah Campion  d. 14/8/1842.  Kamptee Madras India.
Both of these deaths are Infants.

There are no recorded deaths for Jeremiah & Sarah Campion, so probably left India.

Regards, Frances

Offline Judy Johnson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 November 18 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Campion family.
 Just found siblings of Jeremiah. Thomas, b. C.1808, JEREMIAH b. C.1809, Gifford died young, Henry, d. Australia, Rowland drowned 1861, William, Edward.
 (No birth years after 1809 given)
Henry & Rowland came to Australia, arriving 1841 in Melbourne. I think Henry stayed in Victoria, where he died before 1860 .  Rowland held land in South australia.  Returned to Ireland and died shortly after in 1861, fell from horse & drowned near Fermoy, co. Cork.
Jeremiah,s son Charles was involved in Commonwealth Bank of Australia.
Believe this family were of Leinster inheritance line.  Rowland resided Co. CORK.
Jj