Author Topic: Phillips of Hand Hotel,Llangollen  (Read 27442 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of Hand Hotel,Llangollen
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 05 February 12 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Full list of children of Henry Evans and Anne of Pen y Coed at Corwen:

7 May 1789 Mary - this could possibly be your ggg grandmother
15 May 1791 Elizabeth
27 Sept 1793 David
31 March 1796 Anne
21 Oct 1798 Sarah

Henry Evans, Pen y Coed was buried 4 June 1798

All, except Elizabeth, match up with will and/or censuses. I think it's worth exploring this line.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 05 February 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I now have a theory that the Elizabeth Maxwell might well have been Elizabeth Evans (b. 1791Corwen)   - see this

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N6J3-48Q

Thomas Haustead married Elizabeth Evans, 19 May 1821, Clement Danes, Westminster.

They then had Mary Ann in April 1823, St Martins in the Fields .

Not sure where the Maxwell comes from - could Elizabeth have married a second time or could it have been a middle name.

This would mean that your 3 x grandmother and Elizabeth, Sarah and Anne were sisters and David was a brother. All children of Henry Evans and Anne.

gnu

added - location of Pen y coed where they were all born:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0k3w/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline pink petunia

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:40 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you gnu --what a lot of work. I think that is Mary in the 1841. David her son my gg grandfather. All this came from his selling of his share in his mothers inheritance which gave me the names.I can't pinpoint his birth in 1833 or thereabouts and the census states "not born in county". I did think Llanuwychylln but not sure as I am not familiar with distances in the area.

I agree with your Evans theory so than you for that and also Elizabeth and Thomas Haustead.she must have married twice. I will follow along the Evans theory.
That leaves Mary Roberts still. I wonder where her wealth came from. Do you think she was a sister of Henry Evans?

pink petunia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm thinking that she was either Henry or Anne's sister. She seems to be concerned mainly with the female line. I can't find a will for Henry but he could have died intestate as it seems sudden and no age given on the burial record. There maybe might be a tombstone in Corwen.

I've not found a good match for a marriage for her and John Roberts but have only looked at Mary Evanses so far. Most of her wealth seems to have been inherited from John and rents from the properties.  His will refers to  the Llansilin estate and various messuages, tenements and dwellings, etc. in Llangollen. Also, his personal wealth was valued in 1817 at more than Mary's in 1845.

I've got the neighbouring parish registers (including the Penllyn parishes) so will have a look at those tomorrow to see if I can find anything but I've got a few commitments so might not be able to get on with things as quickly.

It might be worth you doing a trawl of the online wills at the Nat Lib site - link previously given.

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I missed this:

Thank you gnu --what a lot of work. I think that is Mary in the 1841. David her son my gg grandfather. All this came from his selling of his share in his mothers inheritance which gave me the names.I can't pinpoint his birth in 1833 or thereabouts and the census states "not born in county".

pink petunia

Do you have on him  censuses after the 1841? And, if so, where does it say he was born?

David Jones b.c. 1833 will not be easy to find  :-\

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Is this a posssible in 1851

Tyn Waen, Hafody
HO107/2509/50/11
John Owen, 47, farmer, b. Llanfihangel, Mer
David Jones, serv, unm, 18, farm labourer, b. Cerrigydrudion

Although he was 'not born county' according to whoever filled in the form in 1841 when he was 8/9, he might well have thought he was born CyD later.

I see the Llanuwchllyn one in Trewyn - farm labourer to an Edward Roberts  HO107/2509/315/10

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 05 February 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Good news

I've just found a Bond, etc for Henry Evans of Pen y Coed:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0k43/

The site was playing up earlier so maybe that's why it didn't show.

I'll go read it now

gnu

Offline pink petunia

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 05 February 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
 That is amazing. Lots of work for me to do now.

I cannot find David in the 1851 at all and he had gone abroad by 1861.
Can I send you an email with an attachment . As I am new to this I am not sure what to do. I looked at the PM page to you but could not see how to attach a document.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 05 February 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I'll PM (personal message) you with my e-mail address so you can send it to me.

We don't put e-mail addresses  up on the public boards because of spammers, etc.

Also, you can't add attachments to PMs so you were doing OK  :)

gnu