Author Topic: Jeremiah CASHEN m. Mary RYAN, in Tipperary  (Read 6605 times)

Offline yt2

• RootsChat Member
  • Always happy to swap information - contact me
    • View Profile
Jeremiah CASHEN m. Mary RYAN, in Tipperary
« on: Saturday 04 February 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Can someone help me find anything definitive about Jeremiah CASHEN and Mary RYAN, both born and married (to each other) in Tipperary, Ireland before 1816.

Family records list the following about their children, several of whom emigrated to Victoria in Australia c1851

1. Nora (Norry) CASHEN / CASSIN, b. Cashel, Tipperary
chr. 30Apr1816, St.Patrick's Rock, Catholic Ch., Cashel, Tipperary

2. William CASHEN / CASSIN b. Cashel, Tipperary chr 1Aug1819 St.Patrick's Rock, Catholic Ch., Cashel, Tipperary

3. Derby Jeremiah CASHEN b. Cashel, Tipperary chr. 10Apr1821, St.Patrick's Rock, Catholic Ch., Cashel, Tipperary

4. Patrick CASHEN b. Cashel, Tipperary chr. 28Feb1823, St.Patrick's Rock, Catholic Ch., Cashel, Tipperary

5. John CASHEN / CASSIN b. Cashel, Tipperary chr. 17Apr1825 St.Patrick's Rock, Catholic Ch., Cashel, Tipperary

6. Mary CASHEN / CASSIN b. Cashel, Tipperary chr. 6Apr1829 St.Patrick's Rock, Catholic Ch., Cashel, Tipperary

7. Johanna/Nancey CASHEN b. Deansgrove, Tipperary
chr. 21Jun1832 St.Patrick's Rock, Catholic Ch., Cashel, Tipperary

I'd appreciate any information at all, no matter how seemingly trivial.

Thanks
Whitey
I live near Merimbula, NSW, Australia and am interested in the following families
White of Adelaide
Greene of Adelaide
Canny of Co Clare Ireland and Robe SA
Atkinson of Co Mayo Ireland
Ford of St Austell Cornwall and Burra SA
Gibbs of Oxfordshire and Cannington WA
Daley of Carlton Vic and Oaklands SA
McMahon of Marion SA
Denholm of Edinburgh Scotland and Lyndoch SA
Parkinson of Angaston SA

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah CASHEN m. Mary RYAN, in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 November 13 21:55 GMT (UK) »
just in case this might help, you can keep it for reference in case the names match up at a later date, best of luck, Ben

JOHANNA CASHIN 26 April 1847 - died 1921 or 1923

Johanna married Denis Leamy on 20 February 1873 in the parish of Cashel.
The service was performed by a Father William Quirke and was witnessed by
James Cunningham and Mary Duggan.

Johanna was born in the parish of Cashel and baptized there on 26 April
1847. Her baptismal sponsors were Jeremiah Cashin and Margaret Croke. Her
parents were William Cashin from Deansgrove in the Parish of Cashel and Mary
Croke from Dually in the Parish of Boherlahan. They were married in the
Parish of Boherlahan on 11 February 1844. Johanna had seven siblings, five
sisters and two brothers. They were Catherine, Ann, Margaret, Mary,
Bridget, William and Richard.

Offline yt2

• RootsChat Member
  • Always happy to swap information - contact me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 November 13 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ben. I just looked and realized that its 9 years since my original post on this subject and I'm really no further advanced as yet. Maybe the William Cashin in your post and the William Cashin in mine will turn out to be one and the same. I'll get to work on that lead now.

As you point out, every little bit helps and one day it'll all just slip neatly into place .... or is that last bit just wishful thinking on my part?  ;D

Thanks again

Whitey
I live near Merimbula, NSW, Australia and am interested in the following families
White of Adelaide
Greene of Adelaide
Canny of Co Clare Ireland and Robe SA
Atkinson of Co Mayo Ireland
Ford of St Austell Cornwall and Burra SA
Gibbs of Oxfordshire and Cannington WA
Daley of Carlton Vic and Oaklands SA
McMahon of Marion SA
Denholm of Edinburgh Scotland and Lyndoch SA
Parkinson of Angaston SA

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 November 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »
no problem, I did a few searches for an American family some years back, looking for Cashin relatives, who lived in and around the town of Clonmel Tipperary, about 18 miles from Cashel, and they were numerous, but whether there was a connection back in the day between both sets of Cashins, I honestly have no idea, if I come across any more references matching your named Cashel Ancestors, I will post it on here for you, the best of Irish Luck.

Offline bigbrithe nice guy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  I am related to the Jeremiah Cashen (I have it recorded as Cashin) that you speak of. Jeremiah was born in 1797. His parents were William Cashin (1776-1879) and Catherine Duggan (abt 1780). William and Catherine also had at least two other boys, William Cashin (1809-1883) and Thomas Cashen (1803-1875). William Cashen was born in Killenaule, Tipperary.

The Cashin family has live in the Deansgrove section of Cashel, Tipperary for over 250 years. My wife and I visited there last October and discovered Willie Cashin, the last in the Cashin line to still live in the area. 

I must admit that Irish records are very sketchy, so you must take the above with a large grain of salt. However, a Tipperary historian, Cecile Mulcahey, has been very helpful in supplying information. I am hoping that Willie Cashin can also confirm my information.

You can reach me directly at (*)t to exchange further information.

regards,
Brian

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline FitzMurray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hello! This is my first dip into rootschat, so here goes ...
I am a descendant of Johanna Cashen, who was born about 1831 in Cashel (not the one born in 1847 posted by Ben999), who married James Fitzgerald in 1853 in Melbourne, Australia.  Whitey, you have Johanna as also Nancey - I'd be grateful if you could confirm this, as I'd seen her also as Annie.  And, have you found the ships on which any of the Cashens arrived in Australia? I'd be happy to share any info from Johanna down, if that is the line you are researching, but haven't been able to go further back.
And Brian, I was in Cashel last month and also met Willie Cashin, still going strong, but not able to help with his distant ancestors.
Regards, Cathy

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
[quote author
I am a descendant of Johanna Cashen, who was born about 1831 in Cashel (not the one born in 1847 posted by Ben999), who married James Fitzgerald in 1853 in Melbourne, Australia.  Whitey, you have Johanna as also Nancey - I'd be grateful if you could confirm this, as I'd seen her also as Annie.
[/quote]

The name  Nancey/Nancey were used as a pet name for Anne/Annie

Offline bigbrithe nice guy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 July 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
Cathy,
   Thanks for the update. Happy to see that you found Willie Cashin (quite a rush, heh?) and happy that we could lead you to him. We're going to send him something nice just to let him know we're thinking of him.

I do have a ship record for Ann Cashin (b 1840). She married John Myers in NY in 1870 and hence traveled under the name, Ann Meyers. She was recorded on 11 Sept 1878 arriving in Brisbane on a ship named, Dunbar Castle. Origination port was London. Dunbar Castle was a wooden full-rigged ship built in 1864 by James Laing, Sunderland. Dimensions: 182'7"×33'9"×21'5" and tonnage: 925 GRT, 925 NRT and 817 tons under deck. The forecastle was 31' long and the poop 60'. Equipped with iron beams. Rigged with double fore and main topsails.

Ann and John eventually settled in the Tongala, Victoria region of Australia. She died 24 July 1928 in Nathalia, Australia, which is about 40 km away from Tongala.

Offline FitzMurray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 July 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
"Ann Cashin (b 1840). She married John Myers in NY in 1870 and hence traveled under the name, Ann Meyers."
That wouldn't be "my" Annie then, as my forbear, Johanna, was born earlier. No doubt a relative of some sort though. It seems there might have been two branches of Jeremiah Cashens, and they both  have Johannas too!