Author Topic: Major Lewis Ritter - War of 1812  (Read 2334 times)

Offline MamaCheng

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major Lewis Ritter - War of 1812
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching my ancestor Major Lewis Ritter who was involved in the War of 1812.  He was connected to the 99th and 100th light infantries.  His family was in Quebec City and later Montreal.  After the war, he applied for land grants and was awarded land in Grenville, Quebec (about 1823-ish).
My challenge: What happened then?  I can find no mention of him in census records nor can I find a death record.
I know he was somehow connected to Hamburg, Germany.  He married his brother's widow at St. Marleybone Church in London (1812).  One of his son's, Adolphus Henry Ritter, although born in Montreal, went to Hamburg to study as an artist where he died.  I am wondering if Lewis perhaps returned to Germany?  Did he stay in Quebec? 
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joelle

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Major Lewis Ritter - War of 1812
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
http://simmons.b2b2c.ca/rnames.html claims to have access to church records he also lists Ritters in Quebec.  He charges a fee, I do not know who he is or his work but perhaps worth an email.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MamaCheng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 12 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Don!

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I can't see any records for the death of Maj. Lewis Ritter, but there are lots of records on A..y for his descendents.  If your library has the free Ancestry Library Edition, you can view the Drouin collection - parish records for Quebec.  Lots of your Ritters there. 

RK

Offline MamaCheng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks!  I've got lots of records for the decendants of Lewis - even found his son's wedding announcement in the newspaper!  It just seems like this first Ritter of my family to Canada disappeared into thin air.  We're all just wondering what the heck happened to him...?  With the records in Quebec being church driven, it seems unlikely that he would pass on and it wouldn't be noted somewhere.  Then someone mentioned on a website (can't remember where) that there was a distinct lack of records from Grenville, Quebec so I thought maybe that was the problem.  I don't know what the next step should be.

Thanks!
Joelle

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There might be some information here - using the military angle??

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/regiments-infantry-2.html

RK

Offline Jmritter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 November 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
This is a really old thread, but it’s worth a shot. Were you ever able to find more information about Lewis Ritter? He is my direct ancestor and I’ve also not been able to find a death date or place for him. I have found a lot of other information that I would be happy to share if you are interested. Let me know!

Offline MamaCheng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 November 19 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I still haven't been able to find a death date or location but I have a lot more information since the original post. Are you on Ancestry? I've sent you a PM

Joelle

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 November 19 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to bed now but I will look at 99th and 100th Regiments tomorrow. If he came from Hamburg, he may have been in KGL previously. Hanover was part of the British Crown until 1837. Queen Victoria could not inherit due to the Salic Law.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.