Author Topic: Who has a surprise connection to an historical figure?  (Read 20432 times)

Offline Roger Oldfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who has a surprise connection to an historical figure?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 13 February 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rishile    Well, that's great!  I've written about Catherine and Thompson Stoneham.   You can get the book online - there are links on the website (www. outrage-rogeroldfield.co.uk).   You could contact me via the website too if you wanted to.

Roger

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roger - I will be buying your book very soon.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors came from the same French village as Lyndon Baines Johnson, whatever number President of the US. His ancestor was born in 1726 and mine in 1724 in the same village in France. Might be a link further back.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My dads mother was a Margaret Armstrong .Her GGGrandfather  James Armstrong was born scottish borders and my dad told me we were related to Neil Armstrong .I was  also told this by someone who contacted me on Genes Reunited. Her GGgrandfather and mine were brothers and sons of James Armstrong.Her father had told her the same story.

Also related to John whitelaw the Monkland Martyr.My dads GGGGran Was Betty Whitelaw  Carnwarth and symington .Then Airdrie .Her brother John Whitelaw had a Shoemaker shop in Airdrie High street 1850s.

On my mums side .Her sister emmigrated to Canada  from Scotland1926 but sadly died in 1931 age 26.She gave birth to a baby girl, My Aunt  died 2 weeks later.Her husband was James B Powell.My mum told me when i was young that James B Powell was related to Baden Powell who founded the Scouts.Still trying to find my Aunts daughter and family .Think i have found them in Ohio .I found a death certificate on Ancestry with same name with exact date of birth  and  says she was born Canada , also her father was a james B Powell mother Mclaren.We had photos of my aunt with her husband  that she sent to my gran from canada. If i find them i will  find out if i had an uncle related to Baden Powell.

Marguerite

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 20 February 12 08:11 GMT (UK) »
A HUGE thank-you to this thread for helping me find Roger's book.  I am now half-way through reading it and finding it an absolute joy to read and I'm learning more about my family than I ever imagined was possible.

Thank you RC and Roger.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 20 February 12 08:36 GMT (UK) »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103393/Womens-mug-shots-1920s-Australia.html

I do hope none of these belong to me... have to check them out....

xin

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 20 February 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Really pleased for you Rishile.....I do love a happy ending!

I never thought when I started this thread, in an idle moment when I had nothing better to do, that it would result in putting two people together for their mutual benefit....makes it all worth while!
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 24 February 12 00:01 GMT (UK) »
My wife leads in with Jeremy Bentham, who was/is her 2nd cousin, 7x removed. In the same line, her 5x great grandfather's brother, Gregory Bentham, sailed with Cook, not on the Endeavour, but on the Pandora.
I think my greatest claim would be with William Youatt, the well known vet who textbooks such as "The Horse", "Sheep", etc. These books were used in training other vets for many years.

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 26 February 12 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Ernest Hemingway is my eighth cousin twice removed.  We are related through the Yale family which produced Elihu Yale, the founder of Yale University.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie