Author Topic: Who has a surprise connection to an historical figure?  (Read 20425 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Who has a surprise connection to an historical figure?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 27 February 12 06:45 GMT (UK) »
I think few individuals have transformed the economy and geography and landscape and iconography of a continent in the way that Daniel Halladay (born 24 Nov 1826 in Vermont)  did when he obtained the patent for the self-regulating windmill. He was my 7th cousin  3 times removed

http://www.sprague-database.org/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I329879&tree=SpragueProject
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline smiler007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Going through Ancestry I found related to my gt grandfather. James [Wild Bill] Hickock 2nd cousin  12 times removed. Bette Davis 6th cous 5 times removed. Geo Bush snr 5th cous 8times rem. Geo Bush jnr 6th cous 7 times rem. Pretty Boy Floyd 6th cous 7 times rem, Bob Hope 11cous 4 times rem.Dont know what that makes them to me?

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
one of my relatives alexander campbell married charles q11sts daughter magaret
reading kith and kin book on families it seems that my hamilton family were to be crowned king s of scotland but for the bad luck thay the fought on the wrong side and lost their castle land and titles because of it same with forbesfamily,and the sunderlands the old duke did not want his cousin to inherit the titles so he applied to the house of lords to allow his titles to pass down through his daughter to her family which is the family i am alledged to belong to but with no proof accept my grandadas middle name which refers to the name of the house named clermiston
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline TerriLea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 10 March 12 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My Great, Great Aunt is Minnie Lee, married to Alfred Lee, who is one of the founders of The Royal Australian Historical Society. I have only recently found heaps of information on them and their family at the Mitchell Library. They are on my Mother's side, and for many years I have been researching my Father's side, so I didn't even know it was there! But now I do, I need to spend some time at the Mitchell library!

Scotland - Scott/Smith/Greenhill
Manchester - Scott
London - Scott/Greenhill
Buckinghamshire - Tooley/Eames/Garnett/Saunders/Holland
Durham - Eddlestone/Cowell
Northumberland - Dodds/Hindmarsh
Scotland - Glasgow - Binning
Scotland - Inverness - Ross/Chisholm
NSW/QLD -Australia - Scott/Eddlestone
Cornwall - Bray/Kessell
SA - Australia - Bray/Kessell

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 28 June 20 01:33 BST (UK) »
I am distantly related by marriage to Frank Lloyd Wright, Lilian Gish and George W Bush. 

I am.dustantly related too. His mother was my great grandmothers first cousin.  Born cardiganshire , wales

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 28 June 20 02:31 BST (UK) »
Smiler ..... your distant relative had a rather bad ending .....

Bank robber Pretty Boy Floyd drops in a hail of 93 bullets.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 28 June 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Marcie

hello  -- just as a by the way :)

there may be a link --------- here as I also have some of the Hamiltons   

Marjory Hamilton married to David Dundas  11th gg's

xin

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 28 June 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all

For the Australians, I have two fairly famous people on my dads side.

Reginald Coombe was a JP and did a lot of work on the juvenile court system in Australia was married to Adelaide Headland, who is something like cousin 4 times removed to me. Her mother is the daughter of the Brand family who built the pub at overland corner.

Archer Russell wrote books about his travels around Australia researching the wildlife and was literary critic for the Sydney Herald. He is something like cousin 3 times removed

Jon

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:46 BST (UK) »
I haven't had a chance to work on this one yet, but I suspect some kind of  connection with Edward John Smith, captain of the Titanic. His great grandmother was a Jane Blakemore who married in Bradley, Staffordshire in 1760.

I actually have two separate Blakemore ancestors from the same local area, one who married a William Rutter in Blymhill (about 6 miles away from Bradley) in 1716, and earlier than that another Mary Blakemore who married a Lovatt in Lapley (about 3 miles south of Bradley) in 1682.

I suspect that both Marys could have been distantly related to Jane - but given how many Blakemores ate in the area it's hard to judge just how distant!