Author Topic: Who has a surprise connection to an historical figure?  (Read 20426 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who has a surprise connection to an historical figure?
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 28 June 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Sarah Evans (I'm descended from her brother) emigrated to Pennsylvania from Bala North Wales.

In October 1711 she married John Hank.  At some point the family moved to Kentucky.

Sarah and John Hank had a grand-daughter Nancy Hank who married Thomas Lincoln in 1806.

Thomas and Nancy Lincoln were the parents of Abraham Lincoln b 1809.

Offline Knight-Sunderland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 04 July 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was good friends with Stan Laurel. They spoke and wrote to each other regularly, and I was lucky enough to discover copies of the many letters he sent her at this website! www.lettersfromstan.com

I would love to have seen the letters she wrote to him, but no copies exist.

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 04 July 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
My great aunt Alice lown from throckley married the footballer Joseph waters Spence also from throckley in 1922.  He was a famous Manchester united player from 1919 until 1933.  That must have been like the posh and becks at that time and although easy to get a photo of him I would love to find a photo of her. 
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 05 July 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
Very impressed with all these famous connections.  The best i can do is my gt-gt-aunt Martha Fairey, who married one of Queen Victoria's footmen. ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 05 July 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
Iris Murdoch is my second Cousin although born 37 years before me!

Very few people would know her Grandparents married in New Zealand 1888.
(Wills John Hughes Murdoch/Louisa Shaw) I have the M/C.
Iris's Father Hugh was born 26 April 1890 • Thames, New Zealand

Louisa was my Grandmothers Sister.

Quote;
ONE day in 1888, on the North Island of New Zealand, a runaway horse with an alarmed and excited girl on its back galloped into Wills Hughes Murdoch's view. He was twenty-seven years old, and had been quietly tending his sheep. He managed to race after the horse, to jump out and grab the reins, calm and finally stop it. The girl, Louisa Shaw, who was on her way to school, was that November to be his bride. She was only seventeen when they married.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 05 July 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
I am distantly related to Jane Lane (1626 - 1689), who helped the future Charles II escape after the Battle of Worcester - a connection which I wasn't aware of until I began to volunteer at a National Trust property where Charles hid...

And I recently discover that Ronnie Reed, who was a member of MI5 and ran double agents during the Second World War (including Agent Zigzag),is also related - a fifth cousin.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 05 July 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
My Mother told me she once polished the shoes of Henry Ford's Grandson. She was working 'in service' for a Lady Rose Baring (as I recall in Kent) before she (my Mother) married in 1936.  She said this man came down to the kitchen to ask if someone would polish his shoes for him.  She said his feet were huge and that he gave her a very big tip.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 05 July 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
Another tenuous link to fame

.. Owen Brannigan - opera singer

My Dad and his family lived in Annitsford when he was growing up and knew the Brannigans.

Family story is that when my Grandfather was on his death bed (1932) my Dad tried to persuade the local priest to come out and give the last rites.  The priest refused as he did not believe my Grandfather was dying. Dad was very upset about this but Owen Brannigan's Father told him not to worry he would 'make' the priest come out.  Eventually, the priest was persuaded to come out but it was too late.  Grandfather had passed away.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 05 July 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
My maternal great grandmother Matilda Belton nee Ball was employed in 1901 as a cook to Bramwell Booth, son of the founder of the Salvation Army and at the time Chief Staff Officer, later succeeding his father as General of the SA.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia