Author Topic: Hugh Logan and family - 1930 Census  (Read 2814 times)

Offline 5flemington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Logan and family - 1930 Census
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if someone could please look up the 1930 Census for New York.
My Father in law was born in Yonkers in 1927.  His father having moved from Scotland around 1923.
As far as we know they lived in Yonkers and also the Bronx.
In 1930 the family would be as follows:

Hugh Logan   Head of household    Electrician   Born Scotland 1890
Jeanie

Offline 5flemington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Logan and family - 1930 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry new to this and must have pressed the wrong button.   ???
Don't know how to delete so l'll start again.

Could someone please check the 1930 Census.  Looking for husband's grandfather Hugh Logan and family living I think in either Yonkers or the Bronx.

Hugh Logan     Head of household    Electrician    Aged 40    Born Scotland 1890
Jeanie Logan    Wife                                          Aged  37    Born Scotland 1893
Jean Logan       Daughter                                   Aged  9     Born Scotland 1921
Ian Logan         Son                                          Aged  3      Born USA 1927

We believe that Jeanie was a Baker but not sure if this is true.
Really want to know their address at that time and any other relevant information would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi 5flemington,

Address looks like 1415 Briston Street.

Hugh Logan 40 Born Scotland. Married at 29 yrs. Immigrated 1924. PA. Supt. Appt House.
Jean Logan 36 Born Scotland. Married at 25 years. Immigrated 1924. AL. No Occupation.
Jean Logan 8 Born Scotland. Immigrated 1924. AL.
Son Logan 2 Born New York. (Haven't named incase still living.)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Jeannie appears with the children going back to the UK.  Occupation:- Housewife.
Port of departure: New York to Glasgow. Arrival Date: 12 Jun 1932
On a ship named: California. Going to Union Street. Larkhall.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline 5flemington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 12 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the prompt reply Sandra and for the information you have given me.
Showing my ignorance here but can you please tell me what PA and AL means?  Also not sure about Hugh's occupation either?  We were always led to believe he was an Electrician as was his occupation here in Scotland.  I'm not sure what Supt. Appt House means.  Is he a Superintendent of the building perhaps?  Would be grateful if you could advise me further.
Thank you too for the information regarding Jeanie's return to Scotland.  We knew she came back with her children but didn't know when.  To know the name of the ship and the date of its arrival in Glasgow is more than we expected.  It seems Hugh returned at a later date but we are unsure when.  We know he was here when Jeanie unfortunately passed away in the spring of 1935.  Perhaps you could advise me of the website you used to find out the info regarding Jeanie's return. 
Again thank you so much Sandra for your assistance it is very much appreciated.
Best wishes.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 12 13:33 GMT (UK) »
PA = first papers filed for naturalization
AL = alien

The occupation does look like superintendent of the apartment house.

The passenger lists are available on subscription sites.  You can see what is available online here:  http://www.germanroots.com/onlinelists.html

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 12 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi 5 flemington,

Your very welcome.  There was a Hugh Logan born 1889 and aged 43 years returning to the UK - New York to Glasgow (a month later than Jeannie and the children) 31 st July 1932 on SS Cameronia. Going to 43 Avon Street. Larkhall. Occupation engineer. Although the occupation has changed could this be your Hugh ? Does the address mean anything to you. Country of future residence was given as Scotland.

Sandra

Offline 5flemington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shellyesq and Sandra for your replies.  From the information you have given me Sandra its definitely my husband's grandfather Hugh.  The address in Larkhall is that of his sister.  Rather a sad story really in that Jeanie and her children came back home, she to stay with her family and Hugh to follow later to stay with his.  It appears they never did live together again.  Who knows why things didn't work out for them in America?  As I mentioned earlier Jeanie passed away in 1935 at the age of 42.  Hugh died seven years later at the age of 52.

So thank you once again ladies for your help.  All the information you have given us has helped to fill some of the gaps and we are most grateful.

Best wishes
Mary Logan

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 12 11:33 GMT (UK) »
The address in 1930 may be Bristow.  According to internet research, the building (#1415) was built in 1927 and it currently has 50 residential units.

You can see the building by viewing internet maps.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)