Author Topic: Young/Jackson 1856 County Tyrone  (Read 6932 times)

Offline mysterious g.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young/Jackson 1856 County Tyrone
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
I have found a copy of Ruth Jackson Morley / Galey's will in some of my father's documents.  She left bequests to her Northern Irish cousins and also to :

Enid Jackson Giles 59 Madison Avenue, Summit, New Jersey
and
Audrey Jackson Dade 210 Martine Avenue, White Plains, New York

Both were described as "cousin" in Ruth Galey's will.

I found Enid and Audrey Jackson in the 1920 USA Census.
They were sisters.  Father was Holmes C. Jackson aged 45, born New York
Mother was Mary R. Jackson, aged 42, born New Jersey.
As well as Audrey and Enid, there was a sister Kathleen.

Also living in the household was Holmes C. Jackson's mother: Jane C. Jackson,  "widowed", born 1840 in New Jersey.

I think, therefore, that Number Theorist's Jacksons and my Jacksons are related and that the various branches of the family in USA had quite close contact with each other.

Offline NumberTheorist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
I thought it might help if I put down the birth dates of the children that I have seen in registers. 
Eliza and Joseph Young had:
Robert Young born 25th June 1861
Florence Elizabeth Young born 11th January 1863 (My grandmother)
Joseph Young born 7th October 1864
Margaret Jane Young born 28th June 1866
I have not got a date of birth for Mary Aitken Young, but know that she was "46" in the 1910 USA census.

Through Ireland Births and Baptisms, I found:

Joseph Young, born 4th Jul 1867 (so I assume the earlier Joseph died young and they named the next boy Joseph)
(Unknown) Young, born 3rd Jan 1869
(Unknown) Young, born 4th Nov, 1870
Sarah Louise Young, born 6th Sep, 1872
Edith Young, born 6th Sep, 1872 (twin to Sarah)
Jane Young, born 21st Jul, 1874

The first three show birthplaces of Coalisland, and the latter three show Belfast, so it appears the family moved around 1870-1872. 

At some point Joseph Young must have died, because Eliza Jane nee Jackson married Robert Stewart Bachelor on 3rd April 1882 in May Street Presbyterian Church and she was described as "widow".

Do you have independent confirmation that these are the same Elizas?  It seems pretty clear, since the maiden name is Jackson.  I examined both marriage records, and Eliza's signature looks roughly similar in each, but she uses "J." in one and "Jane" in the other.  It's hard to read, but it appears the marriage to Robert Stewart was witnessed by a young Florence Young, which would seem to provide a second confirmation of the connection.

I think that Eliza and Joseph's infant sons perhaps did not survive infancy.  I wonder what happened to Edith, Sarah Louise and Jane.  I also wonder what happened to Joseph Young, what date he died, whether he was the father of the two youngest girls or not.  If I could find their birth registration, I might find out.

There are death records for a Sarah Louise Young and Edith Young, both in Belfast, 1872, 0 years old, so these may be Joseph and Eliza's daughters.  There is a death record in New York City Municipal Deaths for a Joseph Young, son of Eliza Jane Jackson and Joseph Young, born Ireland, buried in Green-Wood Cemetery on 27th June, 1906, aged 35.  (This is also where many of my Jackson ancestors and Ruth Galey are buried).  There is also a death record for Jane Young in 1880, estimated birth year of 1774, but there are no parents listed in the extract, so I am less certain of this identification.

I had traced Ruth through census records but did not know about the will.  That's a great tip! I also traced Margaret through the US census -- she married George McCarroll and had three children:  Jane, Thomas, and George Jr.  As far as I can tell, all three died without issue.

Here's a forum where someone was asking about Sarah Louisa Jackson, daughter of William Jackson from Carland Presbyterian Church:

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.britisles.ireland.tyr.general/3083.1.1/mb.ashx

I compared her marriage record to Eliza Jane's, since both hold William's signature.  Again, they look somewhat similar, but one says "Wm." while the other writes out "William".  Eliza's is not scanned well, or in bad condition, so it's hard to make out.  But the way William writes "Jackson" in each looks similar, with an oversized k and the following three letters looking more like four.  I would be willing to bet they are signed by the same man, but only a small amount.

Offline mysterious g.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Number Theorist for all the additional information on Eliza Jane and Joseph Young's children.  I am quite amazed to know that one of the sons (Joseph the second) survived and got to USA, even though he did die fairly young.  It is interesting to suppose that Eliza Jane had a sister, Sarah Louisa, who married William Howard.

When Eliza Jane and Joseph Young married, he was described as "teacher" and living in Belfast.  His father, Robert, was a farmer and I suppose, without any proof, that he farmed in County Tyrone, although the fact that "aunt" Eliza Young was from Dungannon, rather bears out that theory.  It is not known what Joseph Young did to try to support his family after marriage, but I gathered from my father that Joseph had "disappeared" and it was assumed that he had died, when he turned up again.  This is the sort of vague family gossip that may be totally untrue.  However, it was thought that Eliza Jane and Robert Stewart had entered into some form of relationship, which, because Joseph had turned up again, had to be postponed until they could legally marry.  I am completely sure that the marriage of Eliza Jane nee Jackson and Robert Stewart is the marriage of my g.grandmother to her second husband.  Florence Young, the witness, was my grandmother.  Six years later, Florence Elizabeth married my grandfather (Samuel Johnston) and their witnesses were Robert Stewart and Grace Young.  I do not know if Grace Young was the younger sister of my grandmother (the Grace Josephine Holmes Young/Stewart) or a relation of the deceased Joseph Young.

As I said in a previous post, Robert Stewart was highly thought of by my father's family and he and Eliza Jane and the 2 daughters, Grace and Jeannie, lived reasonably close to Florence Elizabeth and Samuel Johnston.  Grace and Jeannie were given the ages "25 and 22" in the 1901 census, which would mean approximate dates of birth of 1876 and 1879, but Eliza Jane was described as being "50" in the same census, which would have meant she married Joseph Young at 5 years old!  Hence my distrust of the figures.

Eliza Jane Stewart (Young/Jackson) died 22nd September 1911

Florence Elizabeth (Young) Johnston died 11th July 1913.

Jeannie Caroline died suddenly 11th January 1909 and her son, Bertie, died in December 1914, aged 7. 

I have not got a record of the date of Grace's death, but it was before 1939, I believe.

When Florence Elizabeth Johnston (Young) died, she left 5 children, the youngest of whom was 9 years old.  Instead of his going to RBAI school in Belfast like his brothers, my grandfather sent him to the Royal School Dungannon, as a boarder, which leads me to presume that there was still family communication between the Jacksons and Johnstons at that time.  However, I do not remember much being said about the Tyrone connection when I was growing up, which is why I am keen to find out more.

Offline NumberTheorist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
I am so much more removed from these folks -- it is wonderful that you are still close enough to have the family lore.  Grace (Holmes) Jackson was my g-g-g-g-grandmother, so I know barely know anything about her -- a few months ago, I didn't even know her maiden name! All I know about her or her children I have gleaned from combing through public documents and from our family Jackson bible that came into my possession a few months ago and kicked off my genealogical journey.    Even that is essentially just a genealogical log of births, marriages, and baptisms.  However, I know that four of her five sons started a successful grocery business in Manhattan shortly after they emigrated -- enough that one of them listed a net worth of $50,000 in 1860 before he was even 30 years old!  That's why I was happy to see that William was a "grocer".  I can only conjecture that James and his sons helped with the store in Ireland before the sons crossed the sea, but it's a natural fit into the narrative. 

I am in contact with Enid Jackson's daughter (the Enid from Ruth Galey's will), and she, like you, is only a few generations removed and has some artifacts and stories. One story repeated by both of our families is that our Irish Jacksons come from the same branch of the Jackson family as President Andrew Jackson.  Have you ever heard that one?  Because both of our families had this rumor, I expect it goes all the way back to Grace (Holmes) Jackson.  As far as I can tell, President Jackson's Irish roots are not well documented, so I think any such connection will be impossible to document in my lifetime.  Regardless, to me it smacks more of a loose connection of name and location that got exaggerated into a claim of kinship than a claim of substance.  But who knows?!

It would be nice to have DNA confirm the connection between James and William, and it seems to me just on the border of being detectable, if we get lucky.  I recently got my mother to agree to get her DNA logged -- I'll see her next month, so I hope to have some results within a few months.