Author Topic: Young/Jackson 1856 County Tyrone  (Read 6936 times)

Offline NumberTheorist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young/Jackson 1856 County Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 September 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
I just stumbled across this old thread and am hoping someone can give me sources for the interesting information that Mysterious G. supplied in the OP.

Backstory: I knew almost nothing about my g-g-g-g-grandfather James Jackson except that he married Grace Holmes and that one of his son's obituaries said the family came from " 'Laurel Lodge', the ancestral estate of the Jacksons in County Tyrone".  Grace was born around 1800, and I presume James was too.  The same obituary said that James died around 1842 or a little before.

I had almost given up confirming any of this information, when I stumbled across a New York State Census record from 1905 listing one of James's daughters, Margaret, living with a family and listed as a "cousin".  The wife of the head-of-household was Mary, daughter of Joseph Young and Eliza Jane (Jackson) Young mentioned in the OP.  Presumably, Margaret Jackson was some sort of cousin to Eliza Jackson.  All I had been able to determine about Eliza's parents was  that her dad's name was William, and then I stumbled across this post.  I hope to determine whether William was a brother or nephew of James, or if not that, then at least confirm more of the information in the OP.  (I was also struck by the comment in the William's Will that he was a grocer -- four of James's sons were grocers in NYC and Newark.)

Thanks for your time! 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 September 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Mulnagore County Tyrone.  William Jackson farmer.  Father of Eliza Jane Jackson who married Joseph Young a teacher living in Belfast, but thought to originate from County Tyrone.  His father called Robert Young, also a farmer.  Eliza and Joseph married in Presbyterian Church Dungannon on 20th September 1856.  He was full age, she a minor.
Witnesses were william Jackson and Robert Young.  Any idea how I find out more about William Jackson and Robert Young?  Thank you.

Those are the details from the marriage certificate. Here is an extracted record-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGC2-BJJ
The certificate, with full details, will eventually be here (free)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
If you don't want to wait then you can register on GRONI's site, purchase a few credits then view the certificate right away-
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
However, the certificate will not show any more details than posted above.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NumberTheorist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Awesome.  All I had seen was the extracted record.  I didn't know there was a way to pay to view it online.  But thanks for telling me what is inside of it! 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 September 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Sharon has done a lot of research on Jacksons

http://www.thesilverbowl.com/history/FishingForJACKSONs.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mysterious g.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 September 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
I was very pleased to find another possible family link to my g grandparents Eliza Jane Jackson and Joseph Young.  I was interested to know that Eliza Jane's father possibly had a brother called James.  I am sorry that I have no further information about William Jackson, but am fairly sure that you are correct in his relationship with James.  This stems from the name given to one of Eliza Jane's daughters: Grace Josephine Holmes Young.  You mention Grace Holmes in your post and it seems likely that Grace Young was called after her.

With the help of other contributors, I was able to find out a bit more about Mary Aitken Morley nee Young, daughter of Eliza Jane and Joseph Young.  She married Charles Sylvester Marley on 25th November 1890 in Manhattan New York.  In the New York Herald of 8th May 1908 there was a Death Notice for Margaret H. Jackson on May 6, aged 82 years.  Funeral at the residence of her niece, Mrs. Charles S. Marley.  Interment at Greenwood Cemetery.  In the census of 1905 Margaret Jackson had been described as "cousin", but she seems to have been an aunt. 

I visited Dungannon Presbyterian Church and looked at the marriage records and also the baptismal records, such as they were.  I had been able to view the records on microfiche at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (in Belfast).  I also drove round the district of Mulnagore, which is still fairly rural.  I would like to try to find out more about William Jackson and details about his other children and, not least, the name of his wife!  The William Jackson in the will is, I think, more likely to be a son.

Thank you for your information!  I am sorry I have not got much to add.

Offline NumberTheorist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 October 17 03:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip about the New York Herald notice!  Margaret emigrated from Ireland with her siblings in 1842 or 1843 -- her Jackson siblings were James Slater, William Holmes, Hugh Bradford, Richard K., Robert, and Jane S.  Margaret was not a sibling of Eliza Jane Jackson, so I am positive that she wasn't an aunt of Mary (Young) Marley in the strict sense.

Margaret's father was James and her mother was Grace Holmes, both born around 1800. It is this James that I assume was a brother or uncle to the William Jackson of Mulnagore.  I think it is still hard to tell from the word "niece" what the relationship is.  Perhaps it indicates that Margaret was one generation older than Mary in the family, but maybe not -- Mary may just have called her an aunt because of the age difference.

I wonder, did you get the name Grace Josephine Holmes Young from a personal family record?  I did not find this name in the public records.  Is she the girl child born November, 1870?  I didn't see a first name for her.

I found another child of a William Jackson -- Sarah Louisa Jackson, married William James Howard in Carland Presbyterian Church.  Her marriage record shows she was from Mulnagore, and since Eliza named a daughter Sarah Louise (Louisa?), it seems quite likely they were sisters.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 October 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder, did you get the name Grace Josephine Holmes Young from a personal family record?  I did not find this name in the public records.  Is she the girl child born November, 1870?  I didn't see a first name for her.

I can't see those details posted on this thread. Possibly mentioned in the link hallmark posted for you? If so, you'll need to contact Sharon through her webpage.

Have you seen this entry on Find A Grave?
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=45545203
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NumberTheorist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 October 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
I can't see those details posted on this thread. Possibly mentioned in the link hallmark posted for you? If so, you'll need to contact Sharon through her webpage.

Have you seen this entry on Find A Grave?
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=45545203

I found the information about Eiza Jane's children, not from this thread, but searching through the Irish Births and Baptisms database. I found records for children, in chronological order:  Mary, Joseph, Margaret Jane, Joseph, Unknown, Unknown, Edith, Sarah Louise, Jane.  The "Unknowns" had only surnames given.  The second was a girl, born in 1870, and so I'm wondering if she is the Grace Josephine Holmes Young mentioned in Mysterious G.'s reply.

Yes, I know of that Find A Grave entry.  Holmes Condict Jackson was son of William Holmes Jackson that I mentioned in the earlier reply.  He was grandson of the James Jackson that I believe is uncle or brother to Eliza Jane's father William. 

Offline mysterious g.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 October 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Number Theorist and Aghadowey for your inputs.

I am rather overwhelmed by the information that the g grandparents had so many children!  I thought it might help if I put down the birth dates of the children that I have seen in registers. 
Eliza and Joseph Young had:
Robert Young born 25th June 1861
Florence Elizabeth Young born 11th January 1863 (My grandmother)
Joseph Young born 7th October 1864
Margaret Jane Young born 28th June 1866
I have not got a date of birth for Mary Aitken Young, but know that she was "46" in the 1910 USA census.

At some point Joseph Young must have died, because Eliza Jane nee Jackson married Robert Stewart Bachelor on 3rd April 1882 in May Street Presbyterian Church and she was described as "widow".

Eliza Jane had two daughters, who were described as "Stewart" in their marriage notices, but I am not sure if this is because they were still living with her and had been adopted unofficially by Robert Stewart, or if they were actually daughters of Eliza and Robert Stewart.  They were both born, apparently in Co. Antrim, but I have not yet found details of their births.

These two daughters were:
Grace Josephine Holmes "Stewart"
Jeannie Caroline "Stewart"

Their marriages were documented thus:
11th October 1906 at Malone Presbyterian Church
Norman Wilson Bachelor, Solicitor, to Jeannie Caroline Stewart.
Both resident in Belfast.
(Jeannie Caroline "full age" therefore born 1885 or earlier.)
WITNESSES: Herbert Weiraker and GRACE JOSEPHINE HOLMES STEWART

12th April 1911 at Cregagh Presbyterian Church
Richard Henry Smith Bachelor Clerk and GRACE J. HOLMES Stewart.
Grace was full age and older than Jeannie Caroline, therefore born earlier than 1885.

The census information for the Stewart family in Belfast is very inaccurate, allowing Eliza Jane to age 15 years in the 10 year period between censuses and Grace scarcely to age at all between censuses.  Jeannie Caroline had already married and left home by the second census.

My father, son of Florence Elizabeth Young, was very fond of his two "youngish" aunts and the entire family was very fond of Robert Stewart, even naming Florence Elizabeth's second son "Robert Stewart" after him.

I think that Eliza and Joseph's infant sons perhaps did not survive infancy.  I wonder what happened to Edith, Sarah Louise and Jane.  I also wonder what happened to Joseph Young, what date he died, whether he was the father of the two youngest girls or not.  If I could find their birth registration, I might find out.

Mary Aitken Young/ Marley had a daughter, Ruth Jackson Marley who married John Galey, an American lawyer and they lived in Greenwich Village in New York.  She had no children and I do not know what happened to her brother.  Ruth Galey wrote regularly to her cousins in Belfast.  She died in December 1966.

Mary Aitken Young/ Marley announced the death of another aunt: Eliza Young, 75, native of Dungannon, on January 17th 1907.  The New York Herald added the note: "Toronto (Ontario Canada) papers please copy"  Presumably some members of the Young family were in Canada.  I still know nothing of Joseph Young or his family, but assume Eliza Young was his sister.

Carland Presbyterian Church is nearer Mulnagore than Dungannon and I did find some reference to William Jackson being connected to Carland, though which William I am not sure.