Author Topic: Sgt R.J. Newens  (Read 2735 times)

Offline mckeesie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sgt R.J. Newens
« on: Monday 06 February 12 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, hope this will work: I represent a Dutch heritage foundation (WO2GO) who are trying to retell the story of allied airmen who did on our island during WWII.  We remember them by making information boards on the crash en writing a few books. We already had family and relatives coming to visit us from USA, Canada and the UK to officially unveil these boards.

On Mai 28th 1944 a RAF Lancaster bomber crashed near the villages where I live. All seven airmen died. One of them was
Sergeant R.J. (Reginald John) Newens
Son of William Reginald and Alice Newens, of Westfield, Woking, Surrey.

Is there anyone who can help me find his family?  If so, would you please contact me?

regards,
Kees

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt R.J. Newens
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 00:27 GMT (UK) »
This is his birth registration

Births March qtr 1923   
Reginald J Newens mothers maiden name Tipton  -  Wrexham  11b 444

Reginald appears to have been their only child

Alice Newens died in 1948 and William R in 1961
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
   I am raising this post in the hope that the good hearted Rootschatters can help Kees and the Wo2go in their search for the relatives of 8 brave airmen who lost their lives when their Lancaster bomber was brought down by enemy fire. The pilot averted further death and injury to civilians on the ground by diverting the stricken plane and landing in a field.

We have found relatives for one of the crew who have visited Holland recently and met with Kees and witnessed the wonderful work that they have done to preserve the memory and resting places of these brave men.

Please give your support if you have the time.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
Going back to Reginald Newens - although he was born in Wrexham - his parents actually married in 1922 in Petersfield in Hampshire

Alice was born in Herefordshire

Births June qtr 1896
Alice Tipton Weobley 6a 487

Her parents were Richard & Emma and she had quite a few siblings in 1901

William's death reg shows his birthyear as 1894 but the only William R Newens I can find is 1905 in Sussex and he was William Reginald

I just wonder if a posting on the Herefordshire and Sussex boards may get a response from existing family members who may still live in that area

If you decide to do that - can you also post the link to this thread to avoid any duplicated info

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=580267.new
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
Good point Carole....I have contacted someone on Genes Reunited who has Alice in their research interests...so...fingers crossed that we may have a connection to this guy ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
I have just had a reply from a contact on Genes Reunited and it would appear that the Alice born in Weobly has no connection to Reginald Newens...a dead end I'm afraid :-\
Carol

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
That's a shame

Offline mckeesie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Dear people on Rootschat, dear Carol,

Thank you very much on beforehand for trying to help our foundation in our search for relatives of the brave airmen who died on or near our island during WWII.

As a foundation we want to make sure those men are not forgotten nor why they fought and gave their lives. It's very hard for us over here in The Netherlands to find relatives after all these years. All help is welcome, so again thank you very much!

We will keep progress of the results via RootsChat and on our website www.wo2go.nl

Kind regards,
Kees

Offline Richyroo84

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 May 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi..

My father is Reginald John Newens second cousin and would like to know if any of the other the Air Force crash (Lancaster LM459 - 101 Squadron) victims families have looked to make contact to be part of any memorial that may take place.

Please could you let me know by email
(*)

Many thanks
Richard

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php