Author Topic: Phillipps Family Broadway  (Read 5424 times)

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Phillipps Family Broadway
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 January 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Who is this Sir Thomas Phillipps you are trying to connect with?

Is he the (in)famous book collector, born Manchester 1792, illegitimate son of Thomas Phillips and Hannah Walton?
Later of Thirlestaine House, Cheltenham.

The 1871 census has his place of birth as Brill, Buckinghamshire, but all the biographies have Manchester?

Having just checked the 1871 Census entry, it was his second wife Lady Phillipps nee Mansel, that was born in Brill House Buckinghanshire, which was the home of her mother's father Laver Oliver. She was the daughter of the Rev. William John Mansel, the eldest son of Sir William Mansel 10th Bt.
in the 1861 census Sir Thomas Phillipps gives his place of birth as Aston under Lyme, which would be correct as his father was living nearby at Shepley Hall.
32 Cannon Street and Hanson Court Manchester were the offices and warehouses of the company.

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for details of land ownership/ occupations of George Phillipps (wife Frances) of Laverton and then Picton House Broadway, and his son Thomas (b 1862)  Also, how / if they are linked to Sir Thomas Phillipps

Thomas William Lambert Phillipps eldest son of George Phillipps of Broadway, married Alice Maud Davies, eldest daughter of Edward Davies of Gravel Hill, Erdington on 15th July 1891

Offline Davidp41

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 September 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if this section of phillipps is linked to George Augustus Phillipps born 1792-4 in the Bristol area. Does anyone have a link to him as his ancestors are proving elusive! Some trees report the father as Jacob William but no evidence found yet to support that.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
George Augustus PHILLIPS married Jane Ashburner MERRIFIELD 16 May 1833 at St John Baptist, Bristol:

Do you have a copy of this marriage? and who where the witnesses ?

George PHILLIPS aged 47 on the 1841 census in Yorkshire was a Cabinet Maker, so must have served an Apprenticeship.

?

---

Was George's family Methodist

? family name

Augustus PHILLIPS - born 8 April 1815 baptised 26 July 1815

father: James Roquet PHILLIPS
mother: Sarah

Baptism Place:

Tabernacle Penn Street, Calvinistic Methodist, Bristol Gloucestershire England.

There is also a John & Betty PHILLIPS having some children at the same Methodist

Elizabeth PHILLIPS - born 10 December 1785, christened 5 March 1786
John PHILLIPS -  5 March 1786

---

George & Jane PHILLIPS son, John Dennis PHILLIPS (there are a number of DENNIS marriages in Bristol)

James PHILLIPS is listed on Ancestry records as a Wine Merchant.

Offline Eden55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, This George Augustus Phillips/Phillipps is definitely not related to our George Phillipps. Cheers.

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 September 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details of land ownership/ occupations of George Phillipps (wife Frances) of Laverton and then Picton House Broadway, and his son Thomas (b 1862)  Also, how / if they are linked to Sir Thomas Phillipps

The Will of George Phillipps of Picton House, Broadway, who died on the 9th December 1906 was proved on the 11th February 1907, by Francis Sutton Phillipps of Picton House, the widow and Philip Perkins Phillipps of Greatham Manor, Pulbrough, Sussex,  farmer, his son.
His sons who are mentioned are George Richard Phillipps, Frank Henry Phillipps and Philip Perkins  Phillipps and a grandson Leslie Charles Phillipps, not yet of age.
He makes provision for Het oland? Phillipps and Georgianna Phillipps, of Picton House, spinsters, his daughters and his sisters Anne and Jane Morris £10 each for mourning or for a mourning ring.
Gross Value £5,815.2s.3d.
Net Value    £1,1527.2s.0d.
He must have had a brother Charles Phillipps who died on the 22nd March 1895 and was married to Elizabeth, because in his Will he mentions his brothers William Phillipps, George and John Phillipps and sisters Sarah Phillipps, Elizabeth wife of George Hoddinott of Norton St. Philip, Bath and Ann, wife of Owen John Morris of Broadway, miller and Jane wife of Joseph William Morris. (They traded as O.J. and J.W. Morris, farmers, millers, grocers and drapers of Broadway, Worcestershire, see London Gazette 12th January 1897)
His brother William Robert Phillipps of Childswickham, who died 6th December 1900, had an only son William Edward Phillipps and his widow was named as Amy Louisa Phillipps and fellow executor his cousin George Hoddinott of Whitechapel, Gloucestershire, farmer. (This is the same George Hoddinott of Norton St.Philip baptised 12th November 1820 in Witham Friary, Somerset and died 23rd April 1898 at Buckland, who had married Elizabeth Phillipps and had nine children).

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 September 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
Sir Thomas describes George Phillipps (and his siblings) as 'my distant cousin(s).(in his will)  On the family tree I have, I cannot see where Sir Thomas fits in. From the reading I have done, Sir Thomas inherited (and then acquired more) land in Glouc. especially around Broadway/ Laverton etc. which is where George came from (at least in 1860's+. So I'm still trying to establish the link. :)

There is some more information about William and Hannah Phillipps to be seen here
https://www.badseysociety.uk/people/phillipps/john-annie-and-family

This states that the family name was originally Phillips, before changing to Phillipps, which was a ruse as I understood, from my grandmother, for Sir Thomas Phillipps to grant tenancies to people with names of Phillipps, who he then called his distant cousins, in order to prevent his hated son in law from inheriting the land.

Offline Eden55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 September 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
thank you so much! I had heard that the extra 'P' in Phillipps was a grant from a king at some stage, but verifying everything is a bit of a challenge! George Phillipps was my great grandfather - his son George Richard was my grandfather.

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 September 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
In the Will of Sir Thomas Phillipps he mentions lands and hereditaments in Childswickham, Gloucestershire, now rented by Charles Phillipps and his two farms and lands called Foxbridge and Gallis, both in Wanborough, Wilts, for the use of Charles Phillipps for life and mentions John Phillipps of Brockhampton, Snowshill and his brother George Phillipps and William Phillipps the eldest brother who has lands in Port Wakefield, Australia.