Author Topic: The Fleece Inn - Elland  (Read 2834 times)

Offline benicio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Fleece Inn - Elland
« on: Wednesday 08 February 12 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have traced my family lineage back to the Thwaite family of Elland.  An interesting find within the family is a man named James Thwaite (3rd Gret Grand Uncle).  In the 1871 England Census, James is listed as "Inn Keeper" with an address of Mount Pleasant.  Immediatly under the address, it states "Fleece Inn". 

I have found some interesting materials online about the Inn and it seems to have a colorful history.  One of the most helpful items can be found here:

http://www.gehs.org.uk/Local%20Stories/fleece_inn.htm

I was wondering if there are any histories/publications of the inn or if anyone has any information on James Thwaite during his tenure as Inn Keeper.

Thanks~

Ben
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fleming - Knocklong, Kilfinane, Limerick
Kenney/Kenny - Keighley, Lawrence (MA, USA)

Offline colaine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Fleece Inn - Elland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I might be wrong but I think that Mount Pleasant is actually in Greetland.
The fleece Inn ( the Golden Fleece) is next door to the house I lived in called `Mount Pleasant` Rochdale road. Greetland
The Golden Fleece Inn at Greetland has recently closed and I believe is now offices.
http:/en.wikepedia.org/wki/Greetland

Good Luck
Barrett/Milner/Ackroyd/Binns/McGrath/Yates

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 12 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Ben :)

The Loical Studies library nearest there should be able to direct you tohistories etc of the inn.  They may also have info on james Thwaite.

charlotte

Offline MD Under

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,

The James Thwaite you talk about is my 2nd great grandfather and yes he was innkeeper at the Fleece Inn. he lived there with his whole family - wife Hannah, sons Ely, Ernest (my great grandfather), Ben & John and daughters Sabine, Alice and Mary. I don't think it was for long though. I've been doing some research into my ancestral line and have gone back as far as James and then up to present following that line. Yet to look into his siblings and parents and back further. But James was the son of Eli, who was the son of James, who was the son of Richard who was the son of John Thwaite -b 1695. That's as far back as I've got.

So we must be related somehow - not sure how?! I guess you are descendent from one of James siblings...

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Todmorden Advertiser and Hebden Bridge Newsletter, 30 Aug 1878

"Mr Rhodes applied that the licence of the Old Fleece Inn, Elland, should be transferred to Mr Thwaite of the Fleece Inn, Greetland, who is now in possession; and Mr Storey applied that it should be transferred, for the benefit of creditors, to the receiver in the affairs of the late tenant, William Crossland. The Bench adjourned the matter to the 14th September, hoping that an amicable arrangement could be made in the meanwhile".

The Bradford Daily Telegraph, 30 Sep 1878, reported that Mr Thwaite, who was already in possession, was successful in his application.

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
Malcom Bull's Calderdale Companion has some snippets of information http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/t.html#t1393

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
It was on Most Haunted in a while back... here's a link if you want to have a nosey ;) https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x69wym8
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 July 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Amongst your Thwaite family of Elland do you happen to have Martha Thwaite b. 1791, m. 14.11.1821 to Jonathan Briggs delver/quarryman? Lower Edge Elland.
I feel sure it will be the same family but I know nothing of Martha until she married Briggs.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 July 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has the baptism (image & transcription) of -

Martha, born 7 Feb 1798, bap 18 Mar 1798, daughter of Solomon and Mary Thwaite, Ell'd, baptismal place Elland, St. Mary.

I checked the 1821 marriage register in case the witness names might add some detail. However, the 2 witness names appear on other register entries - no apparent link to the happy couple.