Author Topic: F.A. Fairlie & W.E. Fairlie, two Scottish tennis-playing brothers?  (Read 8642 times)

Offline RBF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: F.A. Fairlie & W.E. Fairlie, two Scottish tennis-playing brothers?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I have just seen your post.  FA Fairlie (Francis Archibald) was my great grandfather.  He was born at Coodham, Ayrshire on 15 April 1854.  He died 27th May 1939.

WE (Walther Edwin) Fairlie was his younger brother and he was also born at Coodham on 5th April 1860.  He died on 27th April 1943.

Their father, James Ogilvy, had 9 children.  They were brothers 5 and 6! The family are also mad on golf and it was my Grandfather's brother who started the British Open.

Please let me know if you want any more information.

Offline rmcstravick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi. I was reading about the Fairlie brothers with interest. Do you possibly have a family tree? I am interested in finding who about James Ogilvy Fairlie (1809-1870), who started the Open. Lots of books have given different numbers of sons and daughters. Ancestry.com has 6 sons and 4 daughters. Your help would be much appreciated. My book (www.thegolfbookshop.com) is due to go to print in about a week and I want to make sure this is correct!

Best,

Roger

Offline rmcstravick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Further to last note, this is what I have...

Parents

William Fairlie
 1754 – 1825

Margaret Ogilvy Murtle
 – 1845

Spouse & Children

Anne Eliza Macleod
1816 – 1843

(1) Henry James Fairlie
1841 – 1922

(2) Isabella Catherine Fairlie
1843 – 1935

Spouse & Children

Elizabeth Constance Crawford
1813 – 1870

(3) William Frederick Fairlie
1847 – 1923

(4) James Ogilvy Reginald Fairlie
1848 – 1916

(5) Reginald Norman Fairlie
1850 – 1932

(6) Esther Constance Fairlie
1852 – 1874

(7) 
Margaret Ann Alice Fairlie
1853 – 1932

(8) Francis Archibald Fairlie
1855 – 1939

(9) Walter Edwin Fairlie
1860 –

Offline RBF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Good luck with the book!

Here are the details you want:

Margaret Ogilvy Murtle was born in 1781.  According to my cousin, she died on 19th June 1825.

James Ogilvy was the third son of William and Margaret.  Born in Calcutta on 10th October 1809 married firstly Anne Eliza (born 14th July 1813 and died 9th September 1843).  Died 5th December 1870.

Children:

Henry James 1841-1922
Isabella Catherine 1842-1935

James Ogilvy Fairlie married secondly Elizabeth Constance Craufurd (died 1870).

Children:

William Frederick 1847-1923
James Ogilvy Reginald 1848-1916
Reginald Norman 1850-1932
Francis Archibald 1854-1939
Walter Edwin 1860-1943
Esther Constance (born 1851, died 1874)
Margaret Ann Alice (born 1853, died 1932

All this is taken from a book written by the great grandson of James Ogilvy of Coodham, grandson of James Ogilvy Reginald of Myres.  (confusing!!)

The book says:

"James Ogilvy Fairlie, 3rd son of William Fairlie and Margaret Ogilvy was born in Calcutta.  His birth was registered on 11th November 1809 as No. 156 in Vol. 8 of the Church Register of St. Andrews Church at Fort William, Calcutta.  He was a Lieutenant and then a Captain in the 2nd Life Guards. When his father died in 1825 he was not able to claim his inheritance wheich was in trust until he reached the age of 25 years.  His mother sold their London home at 9 Park Crescent after she had built a mansion house for her son James Ogilvy and herself, in Ayrshire, not far from her brother-in -law's house of Holmes.  She chose a site at Symington which is two miles South of Kilmarnock on the Ayr road.  On 6th October 1828 the foundation stone of Coodham house was laid.  It was completed by 1831 at a cost of £20,000.  James Ogilvy inherited Coodham on the death of his mother in 1845.  On the death of his cousin Lieut. Colonel James Fairlie of Holmes in 1860, Lieut. Colonel James Ogilvy Fairlie of Coodham took over command of the Ayrshire Yeomanry.  He was succeeded in 1869 by the Earl of Eglinton and Winton, who in turn handed over command in 1872 to Lieut. Colonel John Reginald Houison-Craufurd of Craufurdland, brother of James Ogilvy Fairlie's second wife.  James Ogilvy Fairlie was a Justice of the Peace and a Deputy Lieutenant of the County of Ayr."

This is the most accurate information I have from the family.  I hope it helps.  St. Andrews golf museum has a lot of memorabilia from the Fairlie golfers!

Rose

p.s. I like the smiley face by my great grandfather!

Offline rmcstravick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rose. That is superb and very much appreciated.

I don't know how I did the smiley face, but very happy that it was your great grandfather! So the Founder of the Open was your great great grandfather? Great family tree. I don't suppose you have any family photos from that time? I am trying to fill the book with as many unseen images as possible. For example the golfer Freddie Tait's family have helped with letters from Queen Victoria, Freddie at school etc.

I will amend the date I had for Esther.

Thanks again. Truly grateful.

Roger  :)

Offline vkm179

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 March 16 03:50 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace Francis (Frank) A Fairlie who planted coffee, cinchona and rubber in Sri Lanka (Ceylon) in the 1880s. He was also an entomologist, after whom two species of moth are names. He may have been related or connected to James Princep, Henry Cumberbatch and/or William Bowden-Smith.
He was one of the founders of the Royal Colombo Golf Club. He returned to the UK about 1891.
I wonder if he is the same as FA Fairlie who was the son of Colonel JO Fairlie, and who won the Silver Cross at St Andrews in 1892.
If he is the same, I should dearly like to have some more information, as I am writing a book about Julia Margaret Cameron and her connections.

Offline Charles Fairlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rose,

I'm researching the Fairlie side of our family and would love to connect.

I'm a direct descendant of William Fairlie - James Ogilvy Fairlie's father, as well as his brother James, as two cousins married.

I'm based in Sydney, after my grandfather's father James relocated via New Zealand.

If an email is easier I'm on: (*)

Kind regards,
Charles

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.