Author Topic: National Childrens Home, Stroud (CLOSED)  (Read 21068 times)

Offline buscombe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: National Childrens Home, Stroud (CLOSED)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find the name and location of th National Childrens Home in Stroud. I was there in the 1950's and all I can remember it was very large with gardens and a lawn in the front. I can remember walking of a footpath through the gate which had a high wall either side and as I walked towards the house on my right was a long narrow building where you washed and had a bath. It was a short distance from Stratford Park and the school I went to was not very far from the park. That was a small one roomed building which was greyish. Again you walked off the footpath and into the school. I have been trying for years to get the name and location. I have been back quite a few times but Stroud has changed, who knows it may still be in use not as a childrens home.

regards
Alf

Hi Alf. I have been to Ebley Children's home today as I was there in 1954. It  is now under the names of Ebley House Novalis Trust. 235 Westward Road Elbey GL5 4SX. You do walk through some gate and the garden does look down towards the canal. There is a picture of the house on the wedsite www.novalis-trust.org.uk. Hope this helps you. It is an amazing place.

Offline Ozytilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 July 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf,
I was in the children's home in Stroud that I think you are allying about. It was Roxborough House in Stroud, I (and my brother) were there from 1955 - 1959 whilst my mother was seriously ill with TB.
I have vivid memories of the house and the school next door although I don't know exactly where it was, however each Saturday we were required to walk to Sandford Park or to Rodborough Common to the Fort there.
When I arrived there was a matron who I think was sacked for cruelty, then a married couple took over, Mr and Mrs King.
Love to share memories with you although a lot of mine are not good ones!
Sally

Offline Ozytilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 July 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf,
I think you were at the same children's home as me and my brother;  Roxborough House, this was at the top of Nelson Street in Stroud.
It was accessed down a short hilly drive, then through the gates where you turned right, the house was facing you at the end of the path. There was a lawn that included a paddling pool to your left. As you were taken through the main door there was a long line of sinks where we had our hair washed weekly. To the left if the front door was the playroom where we were required to write a weekly letter home, or wherever!
When my brother and I were admitted in (I think) 1955 there was a matron in charge who hit me when I was sick in bed, later a married couple Mr and Mrs King took over.
Saturdays were spent walking to the 'pictures' for the morning and a walk up Rodborough Common in yen afternoon.
I had some bad experiences there.
Please reply to me at if this sounds like the home you were sent to.
Kindest regards Sallyanne.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 July 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,

When buscombe has made another post you will both be able to exchange private messages (should you wish) We do not publish email addresses on RootsChat as this is how spammer pick up on emails.

Sarah ;)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grace1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My Dad was at Roxborough and would like to re-connect with other people who stayed there- please do get in touch with me if any of you are still active on this thread!

Thanks,
Grace

Offline Ozytilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Grace,

Yes, I am still active on here.  I would welcome contact.

Regards

Sallyanne

Offline Tracey1977

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother attended a Children's home from 1950 to 1953. She remembers quite a lot. She is 82 now. Her name was June Ball. There was a Matron called Miss or Mrs Ford. She was Friend's with a girl named Carol. The cook there was called Mrs Barrett. The Vicar was called Father Inon. The headmaster of the school she went to was Mr Loosley. She also said that there was a little girl called Ruth. Who was never visited in all the time she was there. She was just left there and forgotten about. My Grandmother does not have happy memories of the place. But she described the house the same. Up a hill along a short drive and the house was through a gate on the right. There was also a stream with a bridge across it on the way to school.

Offline BillJeremy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 October 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf,

I'm sure your children's home was Roxborough House. I was there for nearly 2 years with my brother and sister, 1957/8 I believe.
It was situated at the top of Nelson Street, down a short access road bordered by high walls. A door in the left wall allowed you access to large walled field, part of a girls (prep?) school where we were permitted to play rounders and cricket in the summer.

The home itself was a delightful little mansion (white). I'll never understand why Stroud Council allowed its demolition.
Sallyanne's description is quite correct. The one thing I found different though was a major one. There must have been a change of regime. The Master and Matron were no longer Mr and Mrs King, but MR and Mrs Rose. They kept an orderly house, but not a bullying one. I am sorry Sallyanne had such a bad experience. Myself, I spent 2 very happy years there.

Regards to all who passed through the home,
Bill.