Author Topic: National Childrens Home, Stroud (CLOSED)  (Read 20982 times)

Offline Hystericalwriter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: National Childrens Home, Stroud
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 09:47 GMT (UK) »
There's lots of old postcard views of Stroud with Rodborough in distance here:
http://www.rodboroughfort.co.uk/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=2

I used to live in Minchinhampton and came down the hill past Butterow turnpike cottage on way to work..........don't remember a children's home other than Ebley tho'

Went back past the fire station and on towards Stratford Park last week didn't recognise the old Tech college, gone and masses of new houses in the process of building. but the trees that they wanted to chop down in the 80's are still there! That's progress

Anne
OWEN(s): Llangurig, MGY; JOHN: Treherbert GLA; LEWIS: Margam GLA; BOON: Brixham, DEV
VITTERY:Brixham, DEV; FRANCE: Brixham, DEV
GLOVER: Parkham, DEV ;BOIT: Wellington, SOM
YOUNG: Castle Combe, WIL; LIVINGSTONE: Limavady NI; CAMPBELL: Ballykelly, Derry

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Another person has made contact with me and she was in the same home. Roxborough House in Nelson Street, Stroud, now a Community Centre. Now to find the school.

Alf

Offline Burge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf. I grew up in Stroud, went to the Rosary school and sometimes walked home along Stratford Road. If you are coming from the Stroud direction, you have the park on your right. All along the left hand side behind the houses is the railway track to Stroud. Right at the other end of Stratford Road, you branch off left onto Paganhill. In the 50's the firestation was situated on the Cainscross Road almost opposite the Marling school which backs onto the Stratford Road. Did you attend a local primary school or one that belonged to the home? Whiteshill school was situated at the Paganhill end of Stratford Road. Of course there was the Rosary school but that was Catholic. How about Uplands school? I still have friends living in Stroud so I will ask them if they can remember anything.

Teresa
Webbs from Stroud and Ware. Gibsons from Biddulph and Barnsley. Zukiewiczs from Bialystok, Poland

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alf

I live very close to Nelson Street. I will ask some of my elderly neighbours....
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 12 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Alf - If you lived at Roxborough House in Nelson Street, and went to a C of E Primary School, you probably went to Church Street School.  Having done a search on google streetview, it seems to be called The Whitminster Centre, and is Stroud Youth Centre and Stroud Area Youth Office.   It's a pupil referral centre for 14-16 year olds.

Four of my children went there, the headmistress at the time (1960s/70s) was a Mrs Tyrrell and the school motto was "Aspire High", which was a pun on the fact that the church had a spire. :D

Here is a photo.  Ring any bells?

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
By the way Nelson Street is not near Stratford Park.  If you google nelson st, stroud, the first item is a google map.  If you look at that you can see how near Nelson St is to Church St.

Lizzie.

ps.  Should have said when my kids went to the school, it was just a C of E primary school. 

Offline Burge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 February 12 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Agree there Lizzie. Stratford Park is outside of the town, up past Beeches Green. Church Street was the school I couldn't remember so thanks for that. I remember playing against  Church Street in a rounders tournament way back in 1964 and we beat them!

Teresa
Webbs from Stroud and Ware. Gibsons from Biddulph and Barnsley. Zukiewiczs from Bialystok, Poland

Offline Burge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 February 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The local paper for Stroud is the Stroud News and Journal which can also be viewed online. Perhaps they would print a letter for you? I am sure there are many people in Stroud who could well provide you with the information you are after.

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 February 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The School
All I can remember about the school. That was a small stone building with one room which I found strange having been to Stone school which had 3 rooms. The school was on my right as I passed Stratford Park, but some distance away. To eneter the school you just walked off the foot path and down a few steps and into the school. To the right was avery small playing yard, not impressed. The school was amongst other houses on the road. Something tells me that the school belonged to the home because on my first day I was taken to the school by a lady in a car and all the kids and on the way home we all went and played in the park before going to the home. I could be wrong with the school belonging to the home, but we all left in the morning in a group and returned home sometimes covered in mud in the evening. I know it was quite a long walk and with short legs it took for ever.

Alf