Author Topic: Weeley Barracks  (Read 14653 times)

Offline arny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Weeley Barracks
« on: Friday 10 February 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Where were the barracks, & what regiments were stationed there?
England,Essex,Tendring Hundred. Webb,Carter,Gilbert,Cunningham,Manning,Carter,Cutting,Marshall,Starling.Bacon.Gant.
Suffolk,Kersey: Farthing,Green,Welham,Vince,Riddlestone.
South Shields 1823 Joseph Porter Master Mariner

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Weeley Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 12 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am not sure exactly where they were but I do know it was the Essex Regiment that was stationed there.
Carol
Essex,U.K -Burton, Horsnell, Makaruk, Pennock
Suffolk, U.K -Crane, King, Argent, Bailey, Hickford, Webb
Cambridgeshire, UK- Argent
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk
Ukraine - Makaruk or Makapyk

Unknown area- Lindsell

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Arny, hullo and welcome to rootschat :)

The Local Studiees library nearest to the area where you think the barracks were should be able to help you.

charlotte

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 12 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There certainly was a barracks in Weeley during the Napleonic War and slightly later - dates appear to be around from at least 1803 until possibly as late as 1820. The barracks were then dismantled.

http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/england/Essex/towns/Weeley.html

The British Army moved battalions around the country and in barracks and garrisons abroad regularly so you could find many regiments stationed in any barracks including Weeley. The battalions were not necessarily associated with the area they were stationed at though each regiment had a smaller depot which was somewhere in their county of origin. Most regiments usually only had one battalion rising to two during periods of war like the Napleonic period (or more during the First World War). If a regiment maintained a second battalion (from which soldiers were used to supply the first which would be serving abroad) later on in the C19th,  then that battalion was often stationed at the regimental depot which might be large enough to be a garrison (more than one barracks) in which case other regiments would often be stationed with them.

'Because of fears that a standing army in barracks would be a threat to the constitution, barracks were not built in Great Britain until 1790, on the eve of the Napoleonic War.'

'The regimental depot of a regiment is the regimental headquarters and normally also the place where recruits are assembled and trained. It is also where soldiers and officers awaiting discharge or postings are based, and where injured soldiers return to full fitness after discharge from hospital before returning to full duty. A variety of regimental stores will also be kept at the depot.'

Examples of regiments stationed at Weeley Barracks

Queens Own Highlanders
(Seaforth & Camerons)

'The embarkation was effected in safety, and on the army arriving in England in February, the 79th marched to Weeley Barracks, in Essex, about 10 miles from Chelmsford, where many of the men were shortly afterwards attacked with fever, though not a man died.'

42d Royal Highland Regiment
(The Black Watch)

'They remained in their new quarters, giving way too freely to the temptations to which they were exposed, by the hospitality of the inhabitants, till the spring of 1803, when, in consequence of the interruption of peace, they were embarked at Leith for the camp then forming at Weeley, in Essex.'

The Essex Regiment was formed in 1881 following the union of the 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot and the 56th (West Essex) Regiment of Foot. I don't know where the regimental depots were for these two regiments during the Napleonic War but Rootschat Armed Forces board experts will probably be able to tell you and give you more information on Weeley Barracks. The battalions themselves were stationed in many places throughout the British Empire during the C19th.

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 12 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valda, I'm in France & researching online, which is limited, this site is a godsend.
England,Essex,Tendring Hundred. Webb,Carter,Gilbert,Cunningham,Manning,Carter,Cutting,Marshall,Starling.Bacon.Gant.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 12 08:16 GMT (UK) »
hi,,are you researching a particular man in the army? ;)  edit    it is Joseph bothroyd   ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, as with the name of Bothroyd he was not born in Esses & his only reason for being there would be that he was in the army & stationed there. I have found three births at about the right time all in the Hudersfield area, so I guess he was in a Yorkshire Militia. If I have a possible regiment it will save me time when I come to England. I found too many Peninsular battles where he could have been killed to try to do it that way. I can't find a burial in the U.K.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 12 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Whilst I believe you may well be right about Mr Bothroyd's reasons for being in Essex, you will need to keep an open mind, something you have probably already worked out for yourself.

My ancestor Susannah Sturdy was baptised 1739 in Nun Monkton, Yorkshire, then in 1766 she married William Adams in Great Waltham, Essex.  How this marriage came about I guess I'll never know but I do know it wasn't a family migration, I know for sure at least her brother stayed in Yorkshire.  Although the proof that Susannah was the same Susannah Sturdy baptised in Nun Monkton was excellent, it still took me a while to come to terms with the fact that she was born and baptised in Yorkshire.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
All,
   Are you sure there was a barracks at Weeley. Do you mean Warley, this is near Brentwood and was linked to the East India company. I have more detail as I have researched this area.
Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//