Author Topic: Help find McKenzie family, please  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Tammy Scott

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help find McKenzie family, please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 July 19 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

Joseph McNay 1890 was actually born Joseph Hamilton and later changed his name to McNay.
He is my great grandfather.  I have as many certs I can find which document this name change.
He and his mother (Janet Wiseman Hamilton 1852-1915) are listed as living at 23 Elmfoot Street Glasgow at Joseph McNay seniors house with his and Maggie Stobbo Lindsay's children as cousins.
Maggie and Janet were half sisters.

my tree is public on Ancestry - TammyScott1970.  I would love to discuss further with any of you and hopefully fill in some blanks?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 July 19 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tammy, welcome to Rootschat  ;)

"Joseph McNay 1890 was actually born Joseph Hamilton and later changed his name to McNay.
He is my great grandfather.  I have as many certs I can find which document this name change.
He and his mother (Janet Wiseman Hamilton 1852-1915) are listed as living at 23 Elmfoot Street Glasgow at Joseph McNay seniors house with his and Maggie Stobbo Lindsay's children as cousins.
Maggie and Janet were half sisters"

Born Joseph McNay Hamilton which would suggest he was illegitimate & possibly father was surname McNay?

HAMILTON JOSEPH MCNAY 1890
644/11 509 Hutchesontown

Not sure if you have his BC but if not it may be worth purchasing?

Annie

Add..It was common for illegitimate children to be brought up using their father's surname or adopted later in life for obvious reasons
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 July 19 23:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too, Tammy  :)

Looks like Norman married Jeannie Orr Andrew 09 June 1934 in Toronto Ontario. Brother Joseph appears to be one of the witnesses. The address of the groom and witness is the same as that in the 1921 census which is linked below. The image for the marriage should be available through the familysearch website.

1921 census for the family, top of the page. 2 more children born in Ontario after their arrival.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=pdf&id=e003051993

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada