Author Topic: Bermuda 39th Regiment  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Bettyanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bermuda 39th Regiment
« on: Saturday 11 February 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone tell me how to find information on a John Hall with the 39th Regiment (Dorsetshire) in Bermuda in about 1861. Thanks

Offline cliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bermuda 39th Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bettyanne

You might try the Keep Museum in Dorchester, Dorset for information on the 39th.   An internet search of the 39th Regiment of Foot gave me the regiment's whereabouts on various dates, including the Crimea, Quebec and Bermuda. 

My great great grandfather, Thomas Wright, was a Colour Sergeant in the 39th, and was married to Mary Jane Hall, who I think was John Hall's brother.  I have a copy of my great grandfather's birth certificate - he was born in Quebec - and Drum Major John Hall is named as a sponsor.  Mary Jane, and I think John, were born in Sydney, Australia.

The UK census for 1871 shows 2 Hall children - James and William - living in Oxford with my great great grandmother, their aunt Mary Jane (by then widowed), 2 of her children and her mother. and the 1881 census shows Mary Jane with her daughter and a niece, Annie Hall also living in Oxford at a new address.

I hope this is helpful

Offline Ronniebear49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bettyanne
My wife's family lived and worked out in Bermuda from 1850-1900 so i have a few bits from there and i found a John Hall who might fit, he was a drum-major in The 39th Reg, and he had a wife called Ellen, he also had two children, James Hall baptised on The 9th June 1861, and Annie Hall baptised on 19th July 1863, both at St Georges Bermuda, hope this is of some help, and it is your relatives.

Regards, Ronniebear.
CLARK: Wooton-under-edge./ Westbury, Wilts.
GODSELL: Wooton-under-edge.
LEACH: Portsmouth.
JONES: Portsmouth.
WORLEY: Portsmouth.

Offline Bettyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information.  They are relatives and I have been trying to find out anything about Ellen Hall (nee Hare) or John Hall but have come to a full stop.  If you have any more info I would be very grateful. Thanks again.

Offline Bettyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 12 09:06 BST (UK) »

Hi Cliver

Could you tell me more about Mary Jane Hall. My ancester John Hall was in the Army and I think in Australia, originally from Ireland.  I am unsure how he would have a sister with him in Austrailia. Can you help. Many thanks.

Hi Bettyanne

You might try the Keep Museum in Dorchester, Dorset for information on the 39th.   An internet search of the 39th Regiment of Foot gave me the regiment's whereabouts on various dates, including the Crimea, Quebec and Bermuda. 

My great great grandfather, Thomas Wright, was a Colour Sergeant in the 39th, and was married to Mary Jane Hall, who I think was John Hall's brother.  I have a copy of my great grandfather's birth certificate - he was born in Quebec - and Drum Major John Hall is named as a sponsor.  Mary Jane, and I think John, were born in Sydney, Australia.

The UK census for 1871 shows 2 Hall children - James and William - living in Oxford with my great great grandmother, their aunt Mary Jane (by then widowed), 2 of her children and her mother. and the 1881 census shows Mary Jane with her daughter and a niece, Annie Hall also living in Oxford at a new address.

I hope this is helpful

Offline cliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Bettyanne
Mary Jane Hall was married to my great great grandfather, Thomas Wright, I guess sometime in the early to mid 1850s - I have no record of the marriage, but they had four children, including my great grandfather, William Wright, born in Quebec in 1859, and a sister born in Bermuda in 1861, both when the 39th Foot was posted to those places.  In the 1871 UK census Mary Jane is shown as widowed and living with nephews James and William Hall, children I think of John Hall, the 39th Drum Major.  They are also living with Mary Jane's mother, Elizabeth Murphy, born in Castlebar, Ireland.

Looking at the Australian birth index I found a Mary Jane Hall, born to James Hall and Elizabeth ? in 1831 (my Mary Jane's birth year and birth place) and entries for John H Hall born in 1830 and a Sarah J Hall born in 1836 - all born in New South Wales and registered in Sydney.

Not all of this is conclusive, but I think that my Mary Jane and your John Hall were born in Australia of an Irish mother, Elizabeth, and I guess that as John Hall and Thomas Wright were in the 39th, my g g grandfather met his wife, Mary Jane, through her brother.  I don't yet know anything about James Hall, or how Elizabeth came to be in Australia with James Hall.  I also don't know the significance of Elizabeth's surname Murphy in the 1871 census - perhaps she married again, or perhaps it was her maiden name.

Rather a lot of guesswork, I'm afraid, but I hope some of this strikes a chord.  I'd be grateful if you would let me know if you have anything to add

Offline scuber1122

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello - new to this site - but interested in a Pte Daniel Keary who served with the 39th Foot in Bermuda - there doesn't appear to be any information on Ancestry or FindMyPast- any advice appreciated -

best wishes Bob

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 March 14 20:55 GMT (UK) »
hi,,,what info do you have?  when and where born?  marriage?  children?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scuber1122

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 March 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hiya - only this from FindMyPast - which matches a Victorian Long service medal I thought I would try to research  .
First Name(s):Daniel   Last Name:Keary     Number:4293     Rank:Private       Unit:39th Foot (Dorsetshire)Regiment Stationed at:Bermuda

From the 1861 Army Index ---- many thanks Bob