Author Topic: Sir Walter Scott Australian relative  (Read 10574 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Walter Scott Australian relative
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 12 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am on e reader and away from home for several days and do not yet know how to do live links on this tablet... BUT  recall a thread some time ago on the Aussie board re connections to Sir Walter ...  I contributed to it ...   I think the connection may be on a side branch ...   think the MITCHELL library ... no no no NOT the Scottish one but the one in Sydney NSW Aust may have family papers.   You could do an RChat search to find my posts re that thread.

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 12 00:13 GMT (UK) »
You can find the thread I mean on the Aussie board ... Andrew E Murray .. I have just re-posted on it. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 February 12 00:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 February 12 07:57 GMT (UK) »
not sure if i should have, but I posted my info on your aussie board. Bowden is interesting? Regards Sandra (Australia)

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sir Walter Scott's father was Walter (born 1729) and his mother was Anne Rutherford. Other children of Walter SCOTT and Anne RUTHERFORD were Robert 1767, John 1769, Anne 1772, Thomas 1774 and Daniel 1776.

The title Earl of Dalkeith is the title used by the the eldest son of the Duke of Buccleuch before he accedes to the title of Duke on the death of his father. The family name of the Duke of Buccleuch is MONTAGUE DOUGLAS SCOTT. Sir Walter Scott was descended from the Scotts of Harden, the Earl of Dalkeith from the Scotts of Buccleuch. I suspect you would have to go back quite a number of generations before finding a close connection between the two branches, as Scotts are so numerous.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if any of Sir Walter Scotts family tree has a Elizabeth in it maybe via his aunt and uncles marriages?

Did his Aunt Janet have children? Yes I fear I have to go much further back to find a connection with my Andrew Scott b 1818 Barden.

A Charles Scott Esq of Wauchope b 1767 Hawick d 1821 had a son called Andrew? Do you have any info on this branch?

A sister of Charles Renwick called Isabel married Adam Scott, a brother to Charles Scott, who was the father to Andrew Scott, a tailor by trade, who resided in Blacklee, and was an elder of the parish church. He died at the age of seventy-three and was buried at Hobkirk? Do you know if this Andrew Scott married?

Also any info about the Eliots of Harwood family tree?

One of my Great Uncles William John Bentley son of Margaret Bentley b 1879 (nee Findlay - nee Scott) sold the title of earlship of something (Dudley/Dalkeith) not sure? He lived in Sydney Australia and died in Perth Australia. He was the eldest son of Margaret Scott (who was a Scott before her marriage to Andrew Findlay)?

Clutching at straws I know?

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 April 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
In addition to the above information
Hello could you please tell me if there are or were any ancestors of Sir walter Scott in Australia? My mother said her mother Margaret Findlay (nee Scott) daughter of Andrew Scott b 1818 Bowden Ag Labourer and Janet Scott (maiden name) from Jedburgh Scotland- was related to Sir Walter Scott?
Andrews parents were William scott weaver from Maxton Parish and Janet Scott (maiden name Scott) and they married in Ettrick 1814.
William Scott b 1779 Maxton was born prior to his parents marriage. His parents were James Scott Maxton weaver and Jean Mader b1758 they married in 1781. Her parents were Agnes Dryden and William Mader. James Scott parents were William Scott  and Elizabeth Brown from St Boswells married 1752 Maxton. William Scotts stepfather was Patrick Clark who married his mother (a widow) Janet Scott (maiden name Scott) in Maxton 1727
There is a gravestone at Maxton, as transcribed by the Borders Family History Society “In memory of William Scott who died at _____ell in the year 1806 aged 77 years.” Could be one of above williams?
Any help appreciated! I don't know how to proceed further?
Also was Sir Walter Scott ever an earl? Was he related to Mary Queen of Scots and/or Lady Jane Grey?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 April 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Sandra,  Walter Scott never had any title apart from the knighthood. He was a Writer (Lawyer) who became a Sheriff and the income from his books enabled him to live in some style at Abbotsford.

Skoosh.

Offline Roxie68

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi my husbands great great grandfather was Andrew scott of hornet bank station australia i am just wondering if he was a relative to sir walter scott