Author Topic: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!  (Read 11315 times)

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:06 GMT (UK) »
No, we certainly didn't - I was really pleased to have found Mathew and Francis! Can you tell me who you found? And about the marriage?

We've been at a block with this part of the family for a long time - thank you!

Sue
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: We know these Sheridans were alive in 1883 but what happened next? Help please!
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 February 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder ! I had terrible trouble with that site when I started using it. Missing things I was looking for and buying the wrong records!!!
A good trick, as in this case when you have the parents names, is just fill in the Surname and put a 0 (zero) in the first name section, then in the advanced search put in the parents names and all the baptisms for them will pop up, that way you will find baptisms even if you didn't know they happened.
That's how I found these:
Mathew    1856
Catherine    1858
Mary    1859
Rose Anne 1861
Francis    1863
Bridget    1865
John      1866

Also it's good because if you buy a bunch of records together it is much cheaper than buying them one by one.

The Marriage for John Sheridan and Anne Winters was just a case of doing a search for All Ireland using one name and then the other and finding the 2 marriage records that matched up by adding Spouse in the advanced search -
but as I said it is Co Louth in 1856

I also just saw a marriage a of Rose Anne Sheridan 1890 at St Mary's in Meath.
Hope that helps.

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 February 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, and thank you for finding these names for us. We did find the site difficult, but your explanation of how to use the advanced search is really helpful.

Can you tell us what information we would actually see if we then paid? Do you get more info or are we better looking at registration office photocopies for the later ones?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 February 12 12:12 GMT (UK) »
The Meath records on RootsIreland are transcripts of RC parish registers. For events after 1864 it would usually be better to check for civil records as these can show more details - i.e. father's occupation and sometimes a more detailed address.

RC baptisms would usually show date of baptism, name of the child, full names for both parents, names of two sponsors/godparents and possibly an address.

see: Details included on a Birth Cert
       Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 February 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Shane. So we'd be best getting these parish records from RootsIreland, and the civil registration of John 1866.

Brilliant advice over the last 2 days - thank you so much. From the advanced search facility, the marriage was in Monasterboice.

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 February 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
A quick update.

John and Anne's children are as noted above by Adee 101, and the Anne Winters and John Sheridan marriage was on 4 Sept 1856 at Monasterboice. Anne is the daughter of Anne Mullen and Peter Winters and was baptised in 1837 at Monasterboice.

Adee 101 also found Rose Ann's marriage in St Mary's Drogheda on 23 June 1890 to Thomas Kenny of Whicklow. I have tried to trace them in the 1901 and 1911 censuses but to no avail. Francis and Catherine Sheridan were their witnesses, however, so we have moved on from knowing they were alive when John signed up in 1883!

After years of stagnation, we have made huge leaps forward in one weekend. Thank you to all who have helped. If there's anyone out there who can take the story forward (or indeed backwards!), the search goes on...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 February 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
This Rose Kenny born Louth with husband Thomas might be worth considering-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Eglington_Terrace/11913
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 February 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Well her age and place of birth are right. He had given Wicklow on his marriage declaration, but maybe it's now worth getting one of the children's birth certificates to verify.

Thank you - I'll renew my search in 1901 as well with this evidence.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 February 12 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Here's a possible baptism for one of the children of Rose and Thomas from irishGenealogy :

Baptism of Richard Francis Kenny - 3 Dec 1900
   Date of Birth : 29 Nov 1900
   Parents : Thomas Kenny & Roseanne Sheridan
   Parish : St. Mary's Donnybrook

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests