Author Topic: Graham-McQuillan-Lamond-M(a)cKean - Muckamore, Killead, Oldstone, Ballyginiff  (Read 7036 times)

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: Graham-McQuillan-Lamond-M(a)cKean - Muckamore, Killead, Oldstone, Ballyginiff
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Meg,

The Scottish surname MacKEAN (variants MacKANE or MacKAIN) is found in counties Derry and Donegal.
It was originally MacIAIN. There are MacIAN septs of Clan GUNN, and also of the MacDONALDs of Ardnamurchan and of Glencoe in Argyllshire.

McKEAN in Co. Monaghan is properly MUCKIAN or MUCKEEN, deriving from Gaelic O MOCHAIDHEAN.
They were a leading sept in the barony of Cremorne.

Ref:

The Book of Ulster Surnames
Robert Bell
The Blackstaff Press 1988
ISBN 0-85640-416-0

pp 106-107 KANE

Lots of good stuff there also about the ...

... Scottish LAMONT (properly LAMOND) clan of Cowal, Argyllshire; p.117
         [Originally from Ulster.]

... Anglo-Norman family GRAHAM; pp. 81-82
         of Grantham (Lincolnshire), Abercorn (West Lothian),
         and later in the West March "disputed lands" of the Scottish Borders;
         [Strong presence in Roscommon, Antrim & Fermanagh later ...]

... Welsh Norman family DE MANDEVILLE; p.181
       who wrested Dunluce Castle & The Route in North Antrim from the O'KANE clan,
       and who also took over the barony of Dufferin in Co. Down;
       They adopted the Gaelic name MAC UIGHILIN, later anglicised as MACQUILLAN.
       [Got chased out when the MACDONNELL clan invaded from Scotland.]

----
I've seen that BRYANS name in connection with the WHITTLE family in early 18thC Lisburn.

----
John BALANCE deriving from a family near Glenavy was Prime Minister of New Zealand in the 1890s.

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: Graham-McQuillan-Lamond-M(a)cKean - Muckamore, Killead, Oldstone, Ballyginiff
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Meg,

"Graham's Blacksmith Shop was torn down to make way for the roundabout leading to Belfast International Airport"

Picture 2725
http://www.downmemorylane.me.uk/Antrim%20G1.htm

Further down you'll find reference to Graham's Orchard (Picture 256).

----

"Other Seats
Boghead, the residence of Alexander Graham, Esquire, is a commodious 2-storey house situated on the bank of the Six Mile Water, in the townland of Tirgracey and about 1 mile south east of Antrim. The situation is pretty though very retired."

P.62
Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland
Parishes of County Antrim XIII
1833, 1835, 1838
Templepatrick and district
Vol. 35
ISBN 0-85389-560-0

----

Mildred Irvine authored a beautiful book "About Killead and Gartree" a few years back.
Much concentration on St. Catherine's (where hubby was the Vicar).

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline charliechip

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 September 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Meg

My 3x and 2x grandparents are the same as you, the difference is my great grandfather was William Graham born 1864 and my grandmother was Sarah McKing White nee Graham born 1893. I have not come across any more information regarding Ireland than you already have. Considering how many of the Irish records have been lost it is surprising the information you have come across.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 September 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't be absolutely certain but we have been told (when my father visited Antrim in 1982) that the Graham blacksmith's shop that was torn down to make the motorway was the Smithy of my 2x gt grandfather John Graham. I cannot see any link from my Graham family to the Graham's in the original post.

John's youngest son Ezekiel Graham had the Masserene smithy in Antrim with the horseshoe doorway.

My gt grandfather Joseph Graham married at Muckamore Presbyterian Church. Jospeh, who was another blacksmith, died in 1897 shortly after my grandfather Jack Graham was born. I think Joseph may have been working at the same smithy as the photo posted by TheWhuffle.

Cheers

Linda Graham

Offline David4853

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 April 24 01:31 BST (UK) »
 Hi My name is David graham and william graham was my 2x great grand father. I  have been desperately trying to find any lost relatives of the graham family.
My 4xgreat grandfather robert
And 4x great grand mother letitia.
I am a direct descendant of william and have all info on him and all below. Trying also to find out about john. Didn't realise he had brothers? Any help would be very much appreciated ,also a member on here called Meg? Possible relative too! Would be great to get in touch!