Author Topic: Greenwood Family  (Read 19457 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwood Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I realise that the above information does not help in finding more about the Greenwood family in Ireland (agree that they were in Armagh rather than Antrim) but I posted all I found so far in case that you didn't have it or it might help others searching for the family.

I checked Irish civil registration index for Thomas Greenwood and wife Sara (Joseph's parents) without finding any likely deaths in Armagh. However, registration of deaths only started in 1864 so they might have died before that date or moved away.

Will keep looking and post any information or possible resources. In the mean time, have you checked for any of the family born in Ireland in 1911 Scottish census on the chance a more exact place of birth is mentioned?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anglostark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey, you have been a great help.

The scottish information that you posted I have already but as you say it is now there for anyone else who is researching the same line.

The possible children of Thomas and Sarah looks interesting and will be worth looking into further and I will check out the 1911 scottish census and see if I can get any further info from that. I'll get back to you if there is.

Thanks again Steven

Campbell - Perthshire
Greenwood - Ayrshire/Ireland
Wilson - Ayrshire
Dowie - Fife/Perthshire
Watt - Dundee

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 March 12 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Tithe Applotments:
Robert Greenwood in Lislasley, Loughgall
I don’t see any other Greenwoods in the area and I also don’t see any Barrs.

Griffiths Valuations:
Thomas Barr, Village of Loughgall – living in the villiage, there’s a good chance he was a tradesman or merchant who might show up in directories? No other Barrs in the area.
John Greenwood, Ballymagerny, Loughgall
John Greenwood, Lislasley, Loughgall
Elizabeth Greenwood, Lislasley, Loughgall
Thomas Greenwood, Derryscollop, Clonfeacle
Isaac Greenwood, Edenderry, Seagoe

There are some digitized Parliamentary Papers on the web that include some gunpowder sales records. David Greenwood from Kinnego bought gunpowder for shooting birds on 20 Jan 1835 in Moy. Kinnego borders Lislasley.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 March 12 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Some other Greenwoods I think link back to the Loughgall area:

Thomas Greenwood m. Eliza Murray
14 Feb 1850, Armagh registration district
Likely the Thomas Greenwood who lived in Derryscollop – lots of Murrays around there.

John Greenwood m. Esther Hatton/Hatten/Hattan
17 Sep 1845, Loughgall
This is the John Greenwood in Lislasley on Griffiths. Records for some of their children in Ontario and others as part of an immigration cluster in Ware, Massachusetts that includes many families from the Charlemont area.

Ann Greenwood, d/o Joseph m. James White, s/o Thomas
9 Dec 1852, Loughgall
This family had several children in Armagh before settling in Ontario. Ann Greenwood White’s death registration names her mother as Elizabeth Smith.

Rachel Greenwood, d/o Joseph m. Thomas Greenwood, s/o John
22 Oct 1867, Belfast
The marriage was in Belfast but I think this family could be very relevant. The birth of their first child was registered in Loughgall suggesting ties to the area and then they moved to Ontario. Thomas Greenwood’s birth date of 5 Nov 1846 makes him possibly the eldest child of John Greenwood and Esther Hatton of Lislasley. If John Greenwood named his eldest son Thomas then there’s a very good chance that his father was named Thomas and he could have been a brother of your Joseph. Rachel Greenwood was probably some sort of cousin of her husband’s and that opens up many research possibilities!

The above Greenwoods who went to Ontario were closely clustered in the Garafraxa area. I took a look for other Irish Greenwoods in this area and found an Elizabeth Greenwood born in Ireland around 1843 who married an Irish-born Joseph Hall. Her death registration lists her parents as Joseph Greenwood and Elizabeth O’Connell. I also found a James Greenwood born in Ireland around 1831 whose death registration lists his parents as Joseph Greenwood and Elizabeth McConnell. James and Elizabeth Greenwood settled in the same place so I’m guessing they were siblings despite the variation in their mother’s name. James Greenwood married Mary Geffs who was born in Canada but her parents were married in Loughgall. I believe that her father was a blood relation of mine and I’ve researched her before which explains why Greenwood seemed familiar when I saw it here:)

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 September 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
I've been going through Chelsea Pensioners' records for soldiers from Clonfeacle and Loughgall and remembered this thread when I found a Greenwood.

Samuel Greenwood served from 1802 - 1816. His discharge record says he was about 35 so he was born about 1780. The most significant thing is that it says that he was born in Loughgall Parish in or near the town of Charlemont. That fits your family's geography exactly and places them there much earlier than Tithe Applotments.

Samuel Greenwood's trade was Carpenter and it says he was 5 feet 9.5 inches with light brown hair, blue eyes, and a fresh complexion.

Offline ozirishmum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 13 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so please feel free to point me in the right directions!

I am trying to trace Eliza Greenwood from Tyrone (I know this is for Armagh, but I had conflicting research to suggest she was from Armagh).
Eliza born 1833 to parents William Greenwood and Anne Smith.
Eliza was sent to Australia on the Earl Grey in 1848. The history after her arrival seems easy enough to find, but going back to find out where her family came from and what happened to them is proving difficult.
Any help would be appreciated!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 March 13 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi ozirishmum,
                     The Earl Grey was the first ship to sail taking girls from Irish workhouses to Australia between 1848 and 1850. See http://www.irishfaminememorial.org/en/orphans/ships/
Both her parents are shown as dead and the report states that she cane from Moy on the Tyrone/Armagh border. The great Irish famine took place between 1845 and 1850 so her parents may have died of hunger or, more likely, from one of the diseases associated with the famine.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 March 13 00:13 GMT (UK) »
The townlands discussed earlier are all in Armagh but they could be considered "Moy". I've often seen people from these townlands say they were from Moy on records like passenger lists or military enlistment. I'm sure this is your family.

You may not be able to positively identify more family members but you can learn about the place and it's history. Note the earlier record of a marriage between Joseph Greenwood and Elizabeth Smith. Smith wasn't all that common in the area so good chance of being the same family. That Joseph Greenwood lived in Lislasley and there were Smiths in the neighbouring townland of Aghinlig.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 January 14 02:17 GMT (UK) »

Birth Cert for David b. 16 Apr 1863 states parents marriage - 1854 November 10th, Loughgall, Co. of Armagh, Ireland

Birth Cert for Joseph b. 9 Dec 1872 states parents marriage - 1854 November 9th, Loughgall, Co. Armagh, Ireland

Birth Cert for Isabella b. 26 Sep 1877 states parents marriage - 1854 November 11th, Parish of Loughgall, Ireland

I am from Scotland and I am not sure how to go about viewing on-line or getting copies of Northern Irish certificates

I don't know how I missed it earlier but I was just doing some Greenaway research and spotted this on familysearch:

9 Nov 1854, Loughgall
Joseph GREENAWAY s/o Thomas married Isabella DUNBAR d/o John.

The full certificate will have residences, occupations and witnesses so you should definitely get it since it's obviously the right one.

Now Greenaway in Armagh is a whole other story...