Author Topic: Frasers of Cruivend 1841  (Read 1971 times)

Offline RodF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frasers of Cruivend 1841
« on: Saturday 11 February 12 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Tasmania,

I am trying to track down my GG Grandfather Alexander Fraser who we believe emigrated to Tasmania in 1855.  There are many Alexanders but based on his birthdate of March 10 in 1834 and baptism records we think the most likely Alexander was a boy living with his parents Peter and Margaret in Cruivend in 1841.

In Tasmania, Alexander was a carpenter.  He died at an early age in 1869 and little detail remains of him.  (My GG Grandmother was Ann McDonald who with her parents Lachlan and Jane came from Laggan, arriving in Tasmania in 1855).  We think Alexander used the St Andrew's Immigration Society based in Launceston Tasmania but there seem to be no surviving records from that society in relation to individual immigrants.

The Cruivend possibility is not proven but is the most likely and worth more research as we have no definite details on Alexander's life before he came to Tasmania.  Has anyone studied Fraser families in Cruivend at about that time? If so I would certainly welcome any suggestions as to local records or other researchers who have an interest in this family. My hope is to find some other indication of an emigration.  I note there was also a Fraser family headed by William Fraser in Cruivend in the 1841 census - not sure if they are related.

Regards
Rod Fraser
Beech Wednesfield

Offline MattFM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frasers of Cruivend 1841
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hello, I descend from the William Fraser who was head of his household in Cruivend in 1841, through his son Alexander.   This has recently been proven by DNA.  My mother's GEDmatch is A448289 if you wanted to see if you matched with her.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frasers of Cruivend 1841
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 01:47 BST (UK) »
A DNA test is a good idea to try to connect these two families.  :)