Author Topic: Fenwick, Ayrshire - Was this murder?  (Read 10230 times)

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick, Ayrshire - Was this murder?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 June 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the interesting history.  Both the Plantation and the famine could be motivators for our Lundies as well, I guess, of family ties at other times.  I have been looking for reasons  why they might have moved back to Scotland in 1805, but texts so far have only discussed further migration from Ulster to the new world.  But I might come up with something yet.
Re Inch, I did see it but was giving it further thought.  I think you are right that it is a strong possibility which should not be overlooked.
Concerning James, nothing on Ancestry had popped up about him so I did not have him in my tree until you mentioned him.  Is it possible that he is not a sibling, but the son of another Lundie family?  Fingers crossed your friend might find out more.  I don't really have proof of birth for any of the siblings.
For Hugh Lundie I have born 1779, married 26 Jul 1814 Elizabeth Johnston in Galston, married 1830 Margaret McConnel in Fenwick, married 19 Nov 1835 Caroline Ballantyne in Gorbals, died 26 July 1857 • Houston and Killellan, Renfrewshire (this from Ancestry trees only, no source)
Elizabeth's death record said he was a labourer, 1815 birth cert for son John says labourer. 1859 marriage cert dtr Caroline said her father Hugh Lundie was a farmer. Son John's 1869 death cert says farm servant. Caroline's death cert says 'contractor'.
I've seen a lot of wedding certificates where the father's profession was made somewhat grander than reality, so I guess something like that was happening here.
(Also I've seen a lot of mindless copying on Ancestry and while I've been sometimes guilty myself, I do try to evaluate things.)
I don't want to exhaust you! So maybe we can start with Hugh and do Caroline next time?
Best regards.

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 June 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Antigo,

I have the 1814 marriage record for Hugh and the following:

1815 birth record for John
1830 marriage records (2different towns)
1835 death record for Margaret
1851 census record (likely)
1857 death certificate
If you want any if these I will send

The 1835 newspaper report of Margaret´s death records him as a farmer.
The 1851 census says ‘retired farmer’. Interestingly he is called Mathew in this. I will send it.

I don´t have any proof of birth for any of them , only calculations from other documents.
 :D
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline Monty Dog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Just started researching Lundie/Porter families.
Janet Lundie is my 3x great grandmother. The information about the Fenwick suicide/murder and all the information about the family coming over from Ireland is very useful. I just wonder if there
is any new information available. Thank you.

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I assume you mean Janet Lundie, sister of Hugh Lundie who was the husband of the woman who died in Fenwick.  Concerning that death, the Ayr Advertiser in August 1835 reported that a "precognition has been taken by the civil authorities... which is to be forwarded to Crown Counsel.  A subsequent entry in a legal record reported "no proceedings" against Hugh by which I assume that accidental death was thought to be the cause and no case was made against Hugh.

Through RootsChat I came into contact with someone who shared with me the wealth of information she had found on the Lundies which I have incorporated into Ancestry.com tree.  Are you researching on Ancestry?

Offline Monty Dog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's right. Janet and John Porter.
Yes, I do have an Ancestry subscription. I haven't checked out Lundie/Porters/Henderson's etc., yet.
If you're willing to share your information I'd be very grateful.
Thank you for replying so promptly, I've not used roots chat before but it certainly seems to get results.

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hugh Lundie is the direct ancestory of the family I am researching.
I'd be very pleased to share the information I have.  I've done a lot of my own research from afar but am grateful to those who shared with me and, of course, there is no point in reinventing wheels as there will always be plenty of other points to spend time researching.
My tree is private at the moment, only because it is still a work in progress and I don't want to unleash any errors on an unsuspecting world (I've seen a lot of silly copying of silly assumptions on Ancestry).
If you are willing to give me your Ancestry username, I can use it to send you an invitation through Ancestry.

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 March 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monty Dog,

I am also related to Janet Lundie, through her brother Robert, my direct ancestor.
Almost all the available info on the Lundies is on Ancestry. It is proving difficult to find anything prior to their arrival in Scotland although we can verify they came from Armagh and they were weavers so the 1796 Linen lists help to narrow down their place of origin.
Get in touch if you think I can help at all.
Good Luck!
Norma
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline Monty Dog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 March 20 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Antigo and wattnb,

How exciting two new 'cousins' in one week.
My user name on Ancestry is McSand65.
Husband's out today walking on a windy mountain somewhere in Spain so I'm going to read and note all the info you have on here.
Many thanks for sharing.

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 March 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monty Dog.  Have sent Ancestry invite to you.  Let me know if it works and if it is fulfilling.  'Cousin' to us, wattnb, was a true guiding ligt, full of and willing to share research gains and information, a real pro at discovering documents and information. I was lucky to find her and trust you will be too.