Author Topic: Green Coat of Arms & Crest  (Read 6023 times)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Green Coat of Arms & Crest
« on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, i have recently found this Coat of Arms in my file to do with the 'Green' Family, whom i am a direct descendant from. In an email, the coat of arms was said to belong to either Rev. George Rowney Green or Rev. George Clark Green, i can't remember and the email has been deleted.

I was wondering if anybody could find out who the Coat of Arms belonged to, would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

GenealogistSykes

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Green Coat of Arms & Crest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 12 12:39 GMT (UK) »
The fact that the coat of arms includes an escutcheon of pretence (the small shield in the centre) usually means that the wife of the person bearing the arms was herself armigerous.  After her death the small shield would have been removed and any children would have quartered the two sets of arms.

This means that this coat of arms would have been relatively short lived and only have belonged to a single person.  I can't find any Green association even with the horse's head crest.  However the motto is documented as being used by a Green.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Ah i see, that's quite interesting. I wonder if this would be any help?

This is the description of the arms off one of my family trees:

"Party per fers vert and azure on a chevron or three torteaux. All between three castles argent - Crest: a horses head argent rising from a mural crown gules."

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
That is the blazon of the coat of arms without the escutcheon.  It is thus the coat of arms before the marriage which may also have been adopted by his heirs if they decided not to quarter the shield.
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 17:41 GMT (UK) »
oh right i see, that is quite interesting. Is there any other way of finding out who it belonged to?

Maybe the coat of arms is of another family, and maybe whoever owned it combined and merged the coat of arms, crest and moto together.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 12 19:35 GMT (UK) »
maybe the coat of arms was made up using different crests and shields from the different families associated with the Green family, like relations. ??

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
The coat of arms as illustrated is in fact constructed from three families.  As I said previously the escutcheon will have come from the wife's family and also shows that the arms will be extinct on her death as it also shows that her father had no male heir.

If you look at the escutcheon you will see that it is quartered.  The top right and bottom left quarters as viewed will have come from a female line at some time in the past.  When the shield illustrated is inherited by the eldest son and quartered the original Green shield will appear top left and bottom right and the quarters of the escutcheon one each in the two remaining quarters with the female quarter bottom left.

The evidence seems to point to the coat of arms having been granted and constructed by the College of Arms.  As a last resort they would try to trace it in their records but this would be extremely expensive, costing a number of hundreds of pounds and could still fail.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 March 12 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh i see, well i have actually seen one of the parts of the quartered arms on a monument designed by Sir Tatton Sykes.

The top left and bottom right of the quatered coat of arms is the arms of the hall family meaning that the coat of arms belonged to Emma Elizabeth Helen Hall the wife of Rev. George Clark Green.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 March 12 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Found out that the other coat of arms belonged to the family of 'Oldfield' who married into the Hall family.