Author Topic: Welsh Emigrants To Patagonia  (Read 22180 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Emigrants To Patagonia
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
Fantastic cheers Sam, Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
I hope they did not have a hard time during the Falklands War. Not their fault!

Patagonian Welsh is the name given to the Welsh language as spoken in Y Wladfa, the Welsh settlement in Patagonia, Argentina, specifically in the province of Chubut. Teachers are sent to teach the language and to train local tutors in the Welsh language, and there is some prestige of knowing the language, even among those who are not of Welsh descent.The Welsh education and projects are mainly funded by the Welsh Government, British Council, Cardiff University and the Welsh–Argentine Association. In 2005 there were 62 Welsh classes in the area and Welsh was taught as a subject in two primary schools and two colleges in the region of Gaiman. There is also a bilingual Welsh–Spanish language school called Ysgol yr Hendre situated in Trelew and a college located in Esquel. As of 2016, there are three bilingual Welsh–Spanish schools in Patagonia.

Wikipedia

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks barryd
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 April 19 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Dierdre

You can do a name search online at https://cemla.com/buscador/

I would just type in the surname in the "Apellido" box and copy the I am not a robot number visible at the bottom of the search box and click "Buscar".

The new website doesn' seem to like first names (Welsh anyway) in the"Nombre" box, so just leave this blank an it wil bring up all those listed under the surname searched.

They may of course have converted the surnme into an equivalent Spanish version or incorrectly transcribed a name. 

I have a printed copy of all the names if you're stuck.

Best Wishes
Sam

Hi Sam, this has been brilliant thanks, great to know the family definitely travelled on the Vesta.

Looking for one other family but they don't appear as Jones :) I've tried a number of alternatives, and even Jon* and J* but nothing comes up.

Would you be able to check your list for Humphrey P Jones (born 1853), wife Annie (1852), and children David (1873), Humphrey (1879) and Richard (1881). The family (without Richard, born later in 1881) were on the 1881 census in Newton in Makerfield in Lancashire, but in Patagonia by the birth of son Samuel in 1885.

Many thanks, Deirdre

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Dierdre

No luck I'm afraid, definitely not on the Vesta and the surname with 24 variations of possible spellings has not picked them up either on the CEMLA site search. I would have said they in 1882 and early 1883 alone, such as the : Orion, Holbein, Maskylene (3 sailings at least just in 1882), Handel, Galileo (3 sailings at least in 1882) and the Archimedes. These exclude any ships that saailed from ports other than Liverpool which would have been the nearest to Newton in Makerfield.

Looking at Humphreys original occupation, have you considered whether they may have emigrated to the US and gone to Patagonia from there ?

I have however found some small mentions, possibly of Humphrey P Jones (and maybe his son) in "Y Dravod" and identified his Chacra (farm) on the September 1886 Chacra Map.

In 1886 at least, his name appears on teh Chacra map at Chacra number 105 (under 112 Thomas Pugh's chacra). According to a list in the National Library of Wales of the names of the Farms in "Y Wladfa" (the Welsh settlement), His f arm was called "Y Bont" (The Bridge).

A Humphrey Jones is mentioned on 12th Dec 1919 in the Colony's newspaper (Y Dravod) https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4024351/4024356/25/HUMPHREY%20JONES

The article basically says that he was one of a few of the children of the valley to have visited the far flung outpost of Deseado (where some Welsh settlers had moved to)  on their journey further south. It says that  one of these was Humphrey Jones, previously of Trelew. He had been a driver on the Trlewe toMadryn line (assume it is the railway) for many years, but had left that about two years ago. He was on his way as a car driver to Punta Arenas in Chile and they wished him a successful trip.

19th Nov 1915 a Humphrey Jones sailed into Porth Madryn (Puerto Madryn) on the Camarones from Buenos Aires. https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4022529/4022530/2/HUMPHREY%20JONES

Having trouble uploading Chacra map sorry. Will try again with that.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the Image showing Humphrey P Jones's Chacra (Farm) Y Bont (The Bridge).

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam, thanks for all the info. I hadn’t thought about them going to the USA first given the relatively short gap between the births of sons Richard and Samuel, but i’ll have a look thanks.

Think the 1915 and 1919 Humphrey must be the son.

Thanks again Sam, Deirdre

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 22 April 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the Image showing Humphrey P Jones's Chacra (Farm) Y Bont (The Bridge).

Thanks Sam, i have a farm reference in a marriage document too so will check that out as well.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 22 April 19 20:22 BST (UK) »

Thanks Sam, i have a farm reference in a marriage document too so will check that out as well.

Hi Sam, Humphrey’s son David was still of farm number 105 when he married Cecilia Morley in 1900, Cecilia (or Pryscillia as she was named on her marriage papers) was of number 130. The witnesses were from 4 other farms. Could i be cheeky and ask if you could let me have a copy of the farm map including 130 (if you have it of course). No rush 😀. Or would the maps be available online anywhere?