Author Topic: Maynards sweet factory  (Read 19460 times)

Offline Newcom3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maynards sweet factory
« on: Monday 13 February 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, trying to trace any photos, records and personal info on Maynards factory in North London near Stamford Hill from 1890`s  to the 1950`s. My Grandfather worked there during this time also 2 of my aunts.It was run by the Maynard family and they moved the factory from Islington some time in the 1890s.  :)
Scorah/Schorah in Yorkshire
Hannaford in Brixham, Devon
Samain in Holland and London
Somerville in Clerkenwell

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maynards sweet factory
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 12 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newcom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynards
The Wikipedia entry for Maynards says that Charles & Tom Maynard started making sweets in the kitchen of their home in Stamford Hill in 1880.  Says in 1906 they moved to a factory in Vale Rd, Haringey..a picture of which can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7382107@N04/1418276508/

Dazey

Offline Tsu

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ellen Rondeau 1885-1960
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Here's another one.

East London:
Happe/Hoppe (St. Georges in the East)
Stanley (middle name Thurston)
Rondeau (Spitalfields and Salford)
Jones (Bishopsgate - Thomas, Ostrich Feather Manufacturer)
Wood (London City)
McDermott (Londonderry and Stepney)
Upcraft (Bethnal Green)
Chidgey (Shoredtich)
Grim (Bethnal Green)
Row (Mast makers in Wapping)
Spurden (Stepney and Pancras)
Glibbery (Bishopsgate)

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
My MIL's mum worked there just after WW1. She had the rather exotic name of Ruth Cleopatra Stirling.....she's a family mystery, even my MIL knows very little about her as she wouldn't talk about her past.

I only found out she worked at Maynards after I applied to Harrods for her work details. She had worked at Harrods during WW1. Harrods archivist kindly sent me what they had which included a note to say her references were to be sent to Maynards.

Does anyone know if  Maynards have an archive and if so where?
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 12 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Weren't Maynards taken over by Cadbury or was Maynard's Wine Gums a different company.  If so they are now owned by Kraft but any archives may still be with the remains of Cadbury in this country.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newcom3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for all the comments and photo. Sorry about the delay in replying but Ive been away.
Maynards has changed hands several times since the 1960s, but they were the company that invented Wine gums. My grandfather said that he and Mr Maynard (never said which one) were the ones who started them. I know he had an important job in the factory as he was a sugar boiler.That entailed boiling the different sugar mixtures to get the correct consistency for the different sweets. Whether  he did invent wine gums or not he certainly brought plenty of "mis-shapes" home for us to have.I dont think the factory is there now, but I havent be to that part of London since a child. I hope there are still some archives around as I would like to see them. :)   Jan
Scorah/Schorah in Yorkshire
Hannaford in Brixham, Devon
Samain in Holland and London
Somerville in Clerkenwell

Offline ziksby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bye and bye our little clocks will cease to tick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 March 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Between 1972 and 1986 I worked for Zodiac Toys, a retail chain of 80+ branches which were a division of Maynards. I have copies of the Maynards company Newsletter and during the '80s it contained a history of Maynards in serial form. Unfortunately Maynards were taken over before it was completed, but I have the copies that contain all the early years of the company up to 1960. When I have a moment I'll scan the pages and post a link here so that anyone interested can read them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Alfrick. Worcestershire - Jones<br />Bidford on Avon, Warwickshire - Pettifor, Bennett<br />West Felton, Oswestry - Mansell

Offline ziksby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bye and bye our little clocks will cease to tick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 March 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link to a 'History of Maynards'
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12269599/Maynards%20-%20a%20History.pdf
Alfrick. Worcestershire - Jones<br />Bidford on Avon, Warwickshire - Pettifor, Bennett<br />West Felton, Oswestry - Mansell

Offline doingsomeresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to a 'History of Maynards'
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12269599/Maynards%20-%20a%20History.pdf

Hello . Hope you didnt mind me downloading the History and thank you very much  I wonder whether you can tell me if Mr Maynard had a daughter ? I am advised that my Grandfather's brother ran off with the daughter (I believe it was daughter ?) and they either got married or lived together in a house in Weymouth Dorset.

Thanks