Author Topic: Maynards sweet factory  (Read 19277 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maynards sweet factory
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 January 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
A warm welcome to rootschat  :).

Great you can offer information, perhaps the original posters will get notification of your post; when you have made 2 more posts you can exchange information & email addresses off forum by personal message.

ADDED: newcom3 was last online in Oct 2012, mofid42 in Mar 2016 & doingsomeresearch in Jun 2012 so they don't seem to be active on rootschat at the moment.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline CharlieGirl65

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 November 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'm aware this was a very long time ago and you may not even be on here any more but here goes! The photograph of the gentleman is of Charles Riley Maynard 1856-1926 who founded Maynard's Limited (confectioners) in 1896 and managed it until his death in 1926. He was my Great Great Grandfather and as far as I am aware, he had three sons and no daughters, Alfred Amos in 1884 who was Jt Managing Director, Joseph Douglas in 1902 Jt Managing Director of Maynard's and My Great, great Grandfather Charles Gordon who was the confectioner that invented wine gums. As I understand it, the family were strict methodists and he got into terrible trouble with Charles Riley when he took him the idea, as he had to convince him that they didn't in fact contain alcohol!

Charles Gordon had a son (My Grandfather who passed away recently at 96) and two daughters Diana and Valerie, neither of whom eloped as far as I am aware. The picture of the lady does look very like my Great Aunt Dan Dan though, so I am trying to find a picture of her to compare to yours. I am intrigued by the story and would love to know more!

My Great Grandfather's brother both had a daughter each, Judy and Joan born in 1918. I have no information about Judy but Joan married Conte Georgio de Galleani from Argentina. If you have found any more on the story I would love to hear it! Thanks Charlie

Hi back again with some good news and some bad! Bad is that I couldnt find a Dinah Maynard at all, the good news is that Charles Riley Maynard had 2 daughters Agnes( 1884) and Frances Mabel(1892).After re-reading the excellent download of the history of Maynards, only Mabel is mentioned, so there isnt much more I can add. There was several Frances M Maynards in the records of marriages as well as a death in Chichester in 1982.
Its possible that the photo is of Frances, and funnily enough my mothers name was Mabel (1911). Could she have been named after her as it seems she prefered to be called Mabel instead of Frances.The Maymards tended to use their second name. Charles Gordon, Joseph Douglas were two. I think the other photo is of either Charles Riley or his son Chas Gordon. I found the family in the1891 to 1911 censuses. Before that Chas Riley was living with his father Riley and mother Ann. According to the History, his brother Tom had little to do with the business and moved to South Africa. As far as I can tell they didnt have any shops in Weymouth, but in Brighton and around that area. Hope thats been of some help

Offline JackieSteelEwald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 July 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
This is such great information, I had saved the Maynard info posted earlier thankfully as the link doesn't seem to work now. My great-great grandfather was William Maynard, brother of Charles Riley Maynard.I have a copy of a Maynard family history compiled by Edwin Post Maynard Jr in 1971living in Brooklyn New York. They had hired two genealogists to help connect the Maynards in New York with the Maynards in London. I wonder if I might be able to track down more living desendents. I certainly would love to help with what I have.
Steel from London, Forde from Ireland, Kirkpatrick from Ireland, MacDonald from Tiree, Scotland, Maynard from London and New York, Clarke from England, Black from Iona, Scotland, Garlick from England

Offline johannakmh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 July 20 14:30 BST (UK) »
Charles was also my great-great-grandfather, so I think I must be related to both of you :) Charles Gordon was my great uncle, Agnes was my great grandmother.

I have done a fair bit of research on the line going back from Charles via the Spellers but the line stops at around 1740. Would be happy to share the data with both of you if you would like.

This is such great information, I had saved the Maynard info posted earlier thankfully as the link doesn't seem to work now. My great-great grandfather was William Maynard, brother of Charles Riley Maynard.I have a copy of a Maynard family history compiled by Edwin Post Maynard Jr in 1971living in Brooklyn New York. They had hired two genealogists to help connect the Maynards in New York with the Maynards in London. I wonder if I might be able to track down more living desendents. I certainly would love to help with what I have.

Hello I'm aware this was a very long time ago and you may not even be on here any more but here goes! The photograph of the gentleman is of Charles Riley Maynard 1856-1926 who founded Maynard's Limited (confectioners) in 1896 and managed it until his death in 1926. He was my Great Great Grandfather and as far as I am aware, he had three sons and no daughters, Alfred Amos in 1884 who was Jt Managing Director, Joseph Douglas in 1902 Jt Managing Director of Maynard's and My Great, great Grandfather Charles Gordon who was the confectioner that invented wine gums. As I understand it, the family were strict methodists and he got into terrible trouble with Charles Riley when he took him the idea, as he had to convince him that they didn't in fact contain alcohol!

Charles Gordon had a son (My Grandfather who passed away recently at 96) and two daughters Diana and Valerie, neither of whom eloped as far as I am aware. The picture of the lady does look very like my Great Aunt Dan Dan though, so I am trying to find a picture of her to compare to yours. I am intrigued by the story and would love to know more!

My Great Grandfather's brother both had a daughter each, Judy and Joan born in 1918. I have no information about Judy but Joan married Conte Georgio de Galleani from Argentina. If you have found any more on the story I would love to hear it! Thanks Charlie

Hi back again with some good news and some bad! Bad is that I couldnt find a Dinah Maynard at all, the good news is that Charles Riley Maynard had 2 daughters Agnes( 1884) and Frances Mabel(1892).After re-reading the excellent download of the history of Maynards, only Mabel is mentioned, so there isnt much more I can add. There was several Frances M Maynards in the records of marriages as well as a death in Chichester in 1982.
Its possible that the photo is of Frances, and funnily enough my mothers name was Mabel (1911). Could she have been named after her as it seems she prefered to be called Mabel instead of Frances.The Maymards tended to use their second name. Charles Gordon, Joseph Douglas were two. I think the other photo is of either Charles Riley or his son Chas Gordon. I found the family in the1891 to 1911 censuses. Before that Chas Riley was living with his father Riley and mother Ann. According to the History, his brother Tom had little to do with the business and moved to South Africa. As far as I can tell they didnt have any shops in Weymouth, but in Brighton and around that area. Hope thats been of some help

Offline johannakmh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 July 20 16:46 BST (UK) »

I forgot to say Jackie- I would absolutely love to see what you have from the family history! :)

Offline monxton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 October 20 22:03 BST (UK) »
Glad to see this topic resurrected. Unfortunately I have arrived too late for the "Maynards a History" document that was linked earlier. Would it be possible for someone who does have it to post it or forward it, please?

I am working on a tree for a friend, who is related to these Maynards. She is not a direct descendent, her ancestor is Charles Riley Maynard's uncle John Maynard (b. 1820).

Offline september_virgo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 August 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know this thread was from a while back - however I’ve only just found this search as it came up when looking for Maynards Sweet Factory - so worth a shot to see if anyone else comes across it!

I’m tracing my Nans history and as quite a secretive woman - it’s not been easy!!

Her name was Doris Maynard - whilst she wasn’t related to the Maynards - she did work in the North London factory! My mum always remembers her saying how people often thought she was related to them due to the surname and I’m pretty sure she would have played to this!
Her sister Edna Maynard, also worked there and apparently was nearly scalped when her hair got caught in the rollers! I’m guessing they would have likely worked there before WW2!

Does anyone know what happened to the factory during the war? Did it change its operation due to rationing and the war effort etc?