Author Topic: Maynards sweet factory  (Read 19278 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Maynards sweet factory
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 June 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
hi

Have you any idea of the dates of the "runaway event" taking place?

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline doingsomeresearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 June 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
hi

Have you any idea of the dates of the "runaway event" taking place?

R

Hi. Some time around 1930/40's "ish" am trying to get more precise info. Apparentyly my Granduncle had around 15 shops (I believe Maynard ones ) around the South Coast ,Weymouth,Bournemouth etc. From what I know the House they lived in was at 31 or 35 Greenhill Weymouth with a green roof (its still there) and her name might have been Doris Maynard .  Thats about all I know at moment but would be great if anyone knows more.

Thanks

Offline Newcom3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 June 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi I didnt realise any other people were interested in  Maynards, and yes there was a daughter as my aunts worked with her in the factory. I have some photos of her but unfortunately they`re somewhere in the loft (where most things end up when not needed). Ill try and find them if anyone wants to see her. She was very pretty, and my aunts were her best friends. Both of them were born in the early 1900`s, I think she would be about the same age, so I think late 1920`s early 30`s is more likely for her to have run off.
Scorah/Schorah in Yorkshire
Hannaford in Brixham, Devon
Samain in Holland and London
Somerville in Clerkenwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 June 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I didnt realise any other people were interested in  Maynards, and yes there was a daughter as my aunts worked with her in the factory. I have some photos of her but unfortunately they`re somewhere in the loft (where most things end up when not needed). Ill try and find them if anyone wants to see her. She was very pretty, and my aunts were her best friends. Both of them were born in the early 1900`s, I think she would be about the same age, so I think late 1920`s early 30`s is more likely for her to have run off.

Hello  . Very interesting.  My Grand Uncle was born in 1905/6 . I am not to sure of the correct story but he was connected somehow with Maynards in the Weymouth/Bournmouth /South Coast area and I dont know if these 15 shops were his but I think so . I am still trying to pin down the full story but I believe the daughter may have been called "Doris" but not too certain. Apparently my Grand Uncle was a bit of a philanderer .   Would be very interested to know more about what you know
that might tie up with my Grand Uncle .If you manage to find your photos then that would be great.

Thanks

Offline Newcom3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Found one photo of  the daughter but her name was Dinah, according to my mum`s memory, as its written on the photo. My mother is dead now so Ive no way of telling if its correct. I also have a photo of Mr Maynard. again not which one .Im going to try and find the family on Ancestry, let you know what I find.

Offline Newcom3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 June 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi back again with some good news and some bad! Bad is that I couldnt find a Dinah Maynard at all, the good news is that Charles Riley Maynard had 2 daughters Agnes( 1884) and Frances Mabel(1892).After re-reading the excellent download of the history of Maynards, only Mabel is mentioned, so there isnt much more I can add. There was several Frances M Maynards in the records of marriages as well as a death in Chichester in 1982.
Its possible that the photo is of Frances, and funnily enough my mothers name was Mabel (1911). Could she have been named after her as it seems she prefered to be called Mabel instead of Frances.The Maymards tended to use their second name. Charles Gordon, Joseph Douglas were two. I think the other photo is of either Charles Riley or his son Chas Gordon. I found the family in the1891 to 1911 censuses. Before that Chas Riley was living with his father Riley and mother Ann. According to the History, his brother Tom had little to do with the business and moved to South Africa. As far as I can tell they didnt have any shops in Weymouth, but in Brighton and around that area. Hope thats been of some help

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 June 12 17:28 BST (UK) »

Hello

Thanks very much for the info. I am not able to get a complete picture of my Grand Uncles past but what I understand is that he had about 14/15 shops on the South Coast area although not sure about in Weymouth. He lived with the Maynard lady at 35 Greenhill, Weymouth. I looked up that address on Land Registry and all I found that was not modern so far was,quote;
A Conveyance of the land in this title and other land
dated 15 May 1925 made between (1) The Right Honourable Seymour
Edward Frederic Earl of Wilton (The Sixth Earl) (2) Alan Lowther
Grant and George Henry Drummond (Trustees) and (3) Elizabeth
Hawkins (Purchaser) contains covenants details of which are set
out in the schedule of restrictive covenants hereto.

I believe my Grand Uncle may well have been a Chaffeur to the Maynards at some point from what his niece (my mum)  has told me.   Anyway appreciate your information thanks and will post if any more comes to light from my side.

regards

Hi back again with some good news and some bad! Bad is that I couldnt find a Dinah Maynard at all, the good news is that Charles Riley Maynard had 2 daughters Agnes( 1884) and Frances Mabel(1892).After re-reading the excellent download of the history of Maynards, only Mabel is mentioned, so there isnt much more I can add. There was several Frances M Maynards in the records of marriages as well as a death in Chichester in 1982.
Its possible that the photo is of Frances, and funnily enough my mothers name was Mabel (1911). Could she have been named after her as it seems she prefered to be called Mabel instead of Frances.The Maymards tended to use their second name. Charles Gordon, Joseph Douglas were two. I think the other photo is of either Charles Riley or his son Chas Gordon. I found the family in the1891 to 1911 censuses. Before that Chas Riley was living with his father Riley and mother Ann. According to the History, his brother Tom had little to do with the business and moved to South Africa. As far as I can tell they didnt have any shops in Weymouth, but in Brighton and around that area. Hope thats been of some help

Offline DuncanW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 June 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out the relationship with the Maynards and my own family. My grandmother said that she remembered going to visit an aunt and finding her sons were making sweets in the kitchen. This would have been before the invention of the Wine Gums themselves. I understand that the family ran a confectioners shop in East London, making many of the sweets themselves. At that time, my grandmothers name was Kate Elfreda (sometimes spelt Elfrida) Speller, born 1870 and later married to Edward Lawrence Burt.
Many thanks

Offline Spellerberg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 January 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My mum who is now 95 was brought up in Maynard cottage before they moved to the flat over the garage in Vale Road.  My grandad starting working for the first Mr Maynard when he was 14 years old driving Mr Maynard around in his horse and carriage, later Mr Maynard bought a car and he became his chauffeur, until eventually becoming the manager of Maynard garage.
My grandads name was Fred Spellerberg and worked for Maynard all his working life when he eventually retired The then Mr Maynard bought a flat that my nan and grandad lived in for the rest of their lives.
My mum has many stories and photographs that she would love to share, she would be more than happy to answer any questions that anyone has.