Author Topic: William James SMITH - Goulburn - Drowned in 1869 Aged 15 mths  (Read 2267 times)

Offline smithy67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William James SMITH - Goulburn - Drowned in 1869 Aged 15 mths
« on: Monday 13 February 12 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find out some more information about my ancestors child that drowned in 1869. I found the following article in the newspaper online but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to get the details of the inquest. I am hoping it will have some details of his parents.
The following is part of the article:

Child Drowned.-On Sunday last Dr Waugh held an inquest at Darby Murray's Flats on the body of a child named William James Smith, aged fifteen months, son Charles Smith, a German farmer living in the neighbourhood.
 :)
His mothers name was Margaret (nee Davis) They were married in Goulburn in 1854, if anyone has any further information about them that would be fantastic.
Thankyou
 :)
Smith, Lovett, Warby, McEwen, Kellett, Moffatt, Purdy, Mould, Thickness

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: William James Smith - Goulburn - Drowned in 1869 Aged 15 mths
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smithy67,
  Welcome to rootschat  :) :)

On ancestry the inquest report just says "accidentally drowned".  These are provided from NSW state records.
   I will ask a moderator to move this query to the query board.  I'm afraid that you posted this on the resources board.

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome from me as well ;D

I dont have a lot to add except his (Charles Smith) original name would have been most likely "Schmidt"  ;)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welcome from me too (or would that be three)  ;D

Sadly here is the digitised newspaper report for the tragedy  :(

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/30579960  Queanbeyan Age 9 December 1869.  The article is attributed to the Goulburn Herald.  Perhaps that newspaper would be in the National Library, but not digitised.

Yes, as Neil said, Smith would be Anglicised from the German.   It may be that Charles became a Naturalised British Subject, and if in NSW, then perhaps he is listed on the NSW State Records Office Indexes.   There is one specifically for Naturalisations.

Here's the main link : http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives   There is a Charles John SCHMIDT however, that chap sought naturalisation in 1870 and you mention that the parents were married in 1854.

On the NSW BDM online index there is in the Early Church Records for the marriage of Charles SMITH and Margaret DAVIS for 1854, Vol 41B, line 863.   

At the new historic records section of familysearch that C of E marriage is recorded in the parish register at St Saviour's Goulburn, 29 May 1854.   The bride's mother's name has been transcribed as Mary GEARY.

https://familysearch.org/

Are you after information about Mary Geary?  Or just information about Charles and Margaret ?

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Further info

NSW Electoral Roll 1870  THE ARGYLE
Charles SMITH, leasehold, at Towrang, Murray’s Flats.  (So if that is HIM, then he was a British Subject by 1870)

NSW Electoral Roll 1878  THE ARGYLE
Charles SMITH, leasehold at Towrang, Murray’s Flats.

Walter Samson & Co., New South Wales National Directory 1867 – 1868
Smith, C, Murray’s Flats (So if that is HIM, then perhaps he was a British Subject by 1867)

I think there's some more research needed  :D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline smithy67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William James SMITH - Goulburn - Drowned in 1869 Aged 15 mths
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Thankyou very much for your replies. This is my first time using this sight so I will have to try and work out the correct place to post.
I will have to look into some of that info given which is great, thankyou. Some of the info I have is:
I have their death certificates which confirms they were married in Goulburn.
Charles was born in Germany, had been in Aus for 27 yrs and died at Murrays Flats, aged 50, parents unknown.
Margaret was born in Parramatta, died age 44 in Goulburn, buried Murrays Flats but Parents listed as Thomas Davi(e)s and Mother Caroline Unknown surname.
I found a baptism record for Margaret Davis in St John, Parramatta, 1839, Mother Mary Davis, father not stated.
So not sure what is going on there and why it says Mary Geary on her marriage certificate, but she was only 15 at the time so thought maybe Mary Geary was a friend giving consent for her mother?
I did find a Charles Smith naturalised in 1867 but age and place of residence don't match up, so not sure if him.
Anyway, thanks again and I will keep searching.
Cheers. :)
Smith, Lovett, Warby, McEwen, Kellett, Moffatt, Purdy, Mould, Thickness

Offline oldy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: William James SMITH - Goulburn - Drowned in 1869 Aged 15 mths
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 November 19 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smithy67  - Charles Smith and Margaret  Davis are my g g grandparents. my email: bernice63@tpg.com.au