Author Topic: What Church  (Read 6105 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What Church
« on: Saturday 14 May 05 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
any body know what religion would you be if your family were orangemen  in Belfast and where would the church records be 1842-48
thanks
audrey

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
Re: What Church
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 05 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Have a lovely time the both of you

I would think they would be protestant and do you know which church? or what area in Belfast

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 05 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hei Audrey,

I hope I may share Steve's comment that you have a lovely time.

Your family would have been members of either the Established Church (Anglican/Church of Ireland) or of the Presbyterian Church or a branch of Presbyterianism.

Best Wishes,  Christopher

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 05 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Stevenson
well I have spent the week on a Wilde goose Chase in Clonfeacle I only have one cousin left she is 81 and she said great grandfather William  was born ulster I am totally convinced I am on the right track with the William found in Ballinderry 1851 all she could tell me was my McKnight's were in the orange order all the census for cumberland give his place of birth as Belfast until I got the 1861 last week where he was living as a lodger with a  place of birth which did not exist which I translated to Clonfeacle Tyrone  all I know he was married in a registry office in Cockermouth a church would of helped but nothing that simple for my family as I only have a week I don't want to waste time chasing rainbows
audrey

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 05 17:58 BST (UK) »
Audrey

Just a though you could telephone Dublin to find any record of his birth etc and I know if you pay more they do it quicker

Or check with the orange order but I have been waiting months...........

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 05 18:30 BST (UK) »
Why Dublin ?

PRONI is only a few miles from where you are staying Audrey.

This man is probably the wrong family although appears to be an Orangeman.
www.grandorange.org.uk/press/Orange-Standard/2001-Standard/0103-March2001/article3.html 

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 05 18:42 BST (UK) »
Why not - wots up with Dublin then?

::)
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 05 19:24 BST (UK) »
I do have a few phone numbers trouble is all info I have is
William McKnight and the details of his father David McKnight a farmer and William although he gives his age as 25 in 1869 on the 1901 census he gives his age as 49 and to top that I can find no death for him so cant confirm an age from that been told getting a birth might be difficult as it was 1842-1844
this is only one of three lines in Ireland yet to start on the ones Enniskillen probably dead myself when some one gets round to them if anyone takes this on when I pop my clogs
audrey

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 05 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

LOL... you could rope in your grandchildren now and show them the ropes.

I was thinking more of marriage cert for them ,might give you more to go on, and yes ages seem to change all the time or they didn't name the child born until the christening.
Good luck...someone will come up with something soon

Regards Steve