Author Topic: Jane McNaught, CASTLE DOUGLAS 1823 - 1846  (Read 22193 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jane McNaught, CASTLE DOUGLAS 1823 - 1846
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 12:47 GMT (UK) »
The refence to Causeyend may have changed over the years (from the 1700s). Spellings of place do vary sometimes.

The are some Causey* refs here www.kirkcudbright.co/placesearch.asp?PlaceSearch=cause Can't say whether these connect in anyway though to what you have found. The name may also refer to a dwelling (house/cottage etc) so may be harder to place without more info.

Monica

Added: Apart from George's entry in 1778, there is also a likely sister Agnes in 1776 in Kelton (might be a possible further check on place names if any are given).
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 08:18 GMT (UK) »

Added: Apart from George's entry in 1778, there is also a likely sister Agnes in 1776 in Kelton (might be a possible further check on place names if any are given).
I may have confused families here, but just in case it's Garmory you were referring to:
Agnes Garmory b 1776 was daughter of a William Garmory according to her marriage registry to Samuel McLandsburgh/Landsborough. She was Samuels second wife, and she died in West Derby LAN in 1848.
I have a hunch we're after the same bunch - but haven't gotten past William.
Pat

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 March 12 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica & Pat
Sorry, I seemed to have confused things by going on 2 strings.  Haven't come across an Agnes GARMORY yet.  Let me summarise this! Samual (born c 1739) married 2nd wife Janet WHITE (born c 1750) and had Catherine in ?1784 in KIRKCUDBRIGHT.  Janet would have been 34 yrs old.  This fits with the 1841 census &  Catherine's death reg.  According to Matt, Catherine had 6 siblings (Adam, Samual, Anne, Andrew, Margaret & Robert).  Further Catherine's brother Adam married Jane CLARKE & had 6 progeny (Nicholas, Samual, Robert, Jane, John & Janet (died 1864)).  Is this how you interpret the data or am I confused still?  Samual's 1st wife was Margaert SHARPE & they had one child Margaret (died 1787, 12 years after her mum).
Can't wait to hear your opinions.
Best rewgards
Rob
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 March 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

I can follow that  ;D Pulls together well everything found so far by everyone.

Thought you would find this interesting from the Stent Rolls and mention of both Samuel and Adam Garmory www.kirkcudbright.co/historyarticle.asp?ID=5&p=19&g=3

Regarding first marriage of Samuel to Margaret Sharpe, I think there looks to also have a been a daughter Janet Garmory who married a William Stevenson in 1793 in the county (her christening shows on IGI on 3 Feb. 1771 Kirkcudbright). Not familiar with this programme but you have www.ourfamtree.org/browse.cfm/William-Stevenson/p93850

Monica

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 March 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Pardon me, I seem to have gotten mixed up there - never mind :)

But, I am after these KKD families - Urr, Balmaghie, and Parton (for future reference):

Shennen/Shannon/Shannen, Janet m pr bef 1752, Wm Gledrie (children: John 1752, David 1754, Wm 1761, Janet 1763, Andrew 1767, Mary 1771)

McNaught/McKnight, Robert, alive in 1827, s/o Janet Gledrie 1763 (Janet later m John McCartney and had two daus).

McLandsburgh/McLandsborough/Landsborough, Samuel, m1 Mary Gledrie b 1771 (children: Wm 1795, Andrew 1797, John 1798, Janet 1800, Mary 1803, Euphemia 1805, Hannah 1805, Agnes Kissock 1810).

Samuel m2 Urr KKD 1815, Garmory/Germerie/Gomery, Agnes, b 1776 Parton d 1848 West Derby LAN (children: Samuel 1816, Isabella 1819, Marion 1819, m James Gledrie s/o Capt John Gledrie and Jane Eilbeck). Agnes was dau of a William Garmory.

BTW, Garmory is somehow associated with, or a derivative of, the Montgomery name.
A fair portion of these folks are mentioned in John Gledrie 1827 Castle Douglas KKD testament and ended up in Liverpool LAN.

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 March 12 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thanks for the link to the Stent Rolls.  I could only find Adam GARMORY (Carrier).  I looked a number of times but couldn't spot Samual.  Haven't followed up on the link re Samual & Margaret SHARPE.   I will get there.
Cheers Rob

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 10 March 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat
My research does link with any of yours (yet).  There appears to be a lot of 2nd marriage in the 1700 & 1800s.  There may be a link there, especially with so many surnames being the same/similar.
Happy hunting
Rob

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 March 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Rob,

This is the entry I saw which I thought might be your Samuel (same link as above for Stent Rolls):

Burgh of Kirkcudbright - Personal Stent Roll, 1779:

9th Class - at 2d.
Samuel Garmory, carter.

Monica

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 March 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat
Apologies.  Must have had a'boy' look! 
1.  I have been using the whyte board to piece Jane McNaught's family together.  As mentioned previously, the ages of George & Catherine McNaught are incorrect on the 1841 census.  George was born in 1778 at Causeyend (?early name for Castle Douglas), Kirkcudbrightshire.  The census has him as 60 year old inn keeper, should be 63.  Catherine McNaught (ne Garmory) was born 1784 in Kirkcudbright, Kirkcudbrightshire.  The census has her as 40, should be 57.  Is this likely as the 1851 census has Catherine (65 yrs) at the same address as a lodging house keeper?  I know we have gone over this but there is a huge age discrepancy.

2.  The other thing is where is James Henderson, Jane's husband at this time?  Jane (18) is cohabiting with son George (16/12) & sister Margret (15).  James would be 28 years of age and probably a journeyman painter.  He was born in Parton (1813) to Andrew Henderson & Agnes Cunningham.  In the 1851 census he is living in Cotton Street, Castle Douglas as a painter employing 1 man with mother Agnes (69), 2nd wife Christina Muirhead,  Agnes (7/12) & Jane's son George (11).  On the 1861 census he is living in King street.  I have searched & searched and don't where to look next.   Help?
Cheers
Rob