Author Topic: Thomas Harker, 1790  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Harker, 1790
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sherlynn, if you open the link that you found for family search you will see the marriage for Joseph Harker and Elizabeth Broadberry 6 January 1788 Arkengarth-Dale, York .  If that is indeed your Thomas, then there are his parents.
I'm sorry I have no idea where Arkengarth-Dale is in Yorkshire? I have found Arkendale which is near to York and my guess would be that this is one and the same place, hopefully someone with more localised Yorkshire knowledge will see this thread and put you on the right track with that. - good find by the way!

Add- The reason I was interested in the information for the death certificate is because it may give an age at death which would obviously then given a more accurate birth date

HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 18:24 GMT (UK) »
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64713
The above link is to the area known as Arkengarthdale in North Yorkshire.
Nothing to add really, name of local church given and dates given for births and burials.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 February 12 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sherlynn, if you open the link that you found for family search you will see the marriage for Joseph Harker and Elizabeth Broadberry 6 January 1788 Arkengarth-Dale, York .  If that is indeed your Thomas, then there are his parents.
I'm sorry I have no idea where Arkengarth-Dale is in Yorkshire? I have found Arkendale which is near to York and my guess would be that this is one and the same place, hopefully someone with more localised Yorkshire knowledge will see this thread and put you on the right track with that. - good find by the way!

Add- The reason I was interested in the information for the death certificate is because it may give an age at death which would obviously then given a more accurate birth date

I can't seem to find the marriage you are talking about.  When I open the page, there is just Thomas' father.  I would like to believe this is the same Thomas but without proof I guess I can't have hope that I did indeed find him.

I also have spent today searching for a death certificate and I can't find one.  Since he died in 1830, I am thinking that he was just probably buried on the farm and the marker has since disappeared.  I still want to go to the county courthouse maybe next week to see what I can find but for now, I think I hit a brick wall :( 

Will let you know what I find out. 

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 February 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64713
The above link is to the area known as Arkengarthdale in North Yorkshire.
Nothing to add really, name of local church given and dates given for births and burials.
 Brian

Very interesting link, thank you!  I just love history and if Joseph is Thomas's father, I now know where they were from  :)

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 February 12 11:27 GMT (UK) »
HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  I am keeping this for my records only as I can not prove anything yet but might give me something to go on.

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Studying South Staffordshire local railway history
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 February 12 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Awesome!  Did he ever move to the states? 

Hi Sherlynn
I checked my file and my Thomas Harker was father of my GGGmother Catherine Harker, but probably not relevant to your research.

As far as I know none of my family went out over the Atlantic, although I am partial to some Florida sun in St Pete.
Bartlett -  Hampshire via London to Northants
Rimes - Northants, Llandudno and Birmingham
Garrett - Northants
Thorneloe - Leics and Northants
Jackson, Powell - Staffordshire

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 February 12 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Awesome!  Did he ever move to the states? 

Hi Sherlynn
I checked my file and my Thomas Harker was father of my GGGmother Catherine Harker, but probably not relevant to your research.

As far as I know none of my family went out over the Atlantic, although I am partial to some Florida sun in St Pete.

Thanks for checking  :D  Right now, I could use some of that Florida Sun, really cold and windy today  :o

Offline lslibn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Now, for my GOOD news!!  My local library has a genealogy department and I found a link there for www.familysearch.org  I entered Thomas Harker and went through about 9 pages and found this:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJ9C-143

This may very well be him.  Christening 06 April 1790 and lists Joseph Harker as his father but no mother.

Hi Sherlynn,

You've probably already discovered this. The Thomas Harker you found on FamilySearch was buried on May 21, 1790: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/find/id?id=L1NV-9L2

I've also been searching for information about Thomas Harker, who is my 3G grandfather. It's been maddening! So far I've yet to find a birth record, emigration/immigration records, a marriage record, or a burial record. On August 7, 1820, the federal census enumerator in Brookville, Indiana ticked the column indicating that he was 26-45 years old, which would mean Thomas was born between 1775 and 1794. I did locate two General Land Office records dated November, 1822 for two parcels of land he purchased in Bartholomew County when the county was opened for settlement.