Author Topic: Thomas Harker, 1790  (Read 5493 times)

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Harker, 1790
« on: Monday 20 February 12 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I'm Sherri and I am from the US.  I have been researching my family and have gotten to this person who is my great-great-great grandfather.  All I know is he was born in 1790, maybe in Yorkshire.  Can anyone point me to where I might find something about him?  Is this an impossible task at hand?

Thank you,
Sherri

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Harker, 1790
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 12 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,,,And welcome to the forum ;)

Do you have any more info that could help ?  who did he marry?  what were the childrens names and when were they born?  do you have his date of death?   please tell us as much as you know,this will help us to help you  ;D
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 12 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome!  All I know is what year and where he may be from. He moved to the states probably around or before 1820. He married Rebecca Carter who was from South Carolina.  He died 4 Jan 1830 and had two sons, Simon (my g-g-grandfather) and James.  Spelling of Simon's name is sometimes found as Simeon. He is buried somewhere in central Indiana.  I have a couple leads that I am going to check on..that is all I know.

I guess I would really like to find out his actual birthdate and maybe his parents but I am afraid I may be asking too much.

Thank you!

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 12 07:28 GMT (UK) »
There are 21 Thomas Harker's baptised in Yorkshire circa 1790 on the IGI,  unless you know where in Yorkshire he came from?  Simeon may be a clue, you could look through the 21 entries on the IGI putting in 1790 and 5 years search, see if any of them had a father called Simeon.  Good luck from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  I will check into that today.  No one in my entire family has any clue where he was from.  I was hoping that if I find his grave, maybe that will give me some clues.  I can track his wife's family back another 2-3 generations. I would just love to know more about him.

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Studying South Staffordshire local railway history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sherlynn

I have a Thomas Harker b 1796 in Northamptonshire ( a few miles away from Yorkshire !!) and family from him in Oundle in Northamptonshire, but probably no use to you
Bartlett -  Hampshire via London to Northants
Rimes - Northants, Llandudno and Birmingham
Garrett - Northants
Thorneloe - Leics and Northants
Jackson, Powell - Staffordshire

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sherlynn

I have a Thomas Harker b 1796 in Northamptonshire ( a few miles away from Yorkshire !!) and family from him in Oundle in Northamptonshire, but probably no use to you

Awesome!  Did he ever move to the states? 

I didn't realize how many Harkers there were.  I knew in high school that my name was English but to now have proof is wonderful!

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a warm welcome from me too.  Taken from the non-conformist registers arethe baptisms for the children of Simeon Harker  ( occupation - miner) and his wife Betty at the Low Row Indpependent Chapel in Swaledale, Yorkshire (sorry no idea where Swaledale is, but hopefully someone else may!) which may be of use to you.
William Harker 5 October 1797
Mary Harker 7 July 1800
Sarah Harker 2 July 1804
Alice Harker 22 Jan 1807
Simeon Harker 12 August 1809
For the baptism of Simeon (jnr) & Elizabeth  residence is given for parents as Heights Near Gunnerside, Swaledale
Elizabeth Harker 4 May 1811
James Harker 12 December 1812
Simon Harker 12 December 1812
James is 3 years old and Simon 3 Weeks when baptised and the parents abode is given as Brownsey, Swaledale, Yorks
Whilst I appreciate there is no reference to Thomas as a son of Simeon, I noticed that the name is spelt as you have said Thomas's son's name was spelt - Simeon, so maybe a place to start looking.  Given the dates - maybe Simeon was an uncle ?

HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline sherlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 12 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information.  I am seeing that given names are being used over and over so maybe I should start searching for James too. 

I am also waiting to hear from Thomas's wife's family to see if they know anything.
I haven't given up hope yet :)

This is such a friendly place, again I want to thank each and every one of you!