Author Topic: Mathison in Berwick-upon-Tweed Parish Baptism records  (Read 5543 times)

Offline juniorhack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mathison in Berwick-upon-Tweed Parish Baptism records
« on: Sunday 19 February 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,First post! I'm researching the Mathison(spelling may vary)of Berwick upon tweed/Holy island/Kyloe etc...The earliest I can find is John Mathison b1811 Cheswick(or Ancroft).
               Can anyone help?

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Berwick-upon-Tweed Parish Baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 12 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi juniorhack

Welcome to rootschat  :)

We'll need a bit more to go on if you have it.  The baptism for John also falls into the Barrington period so should have mother's maiden name and where both parents were born.  Do you have this information?

Christine

Offline juniorhack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mathison in Berwick-upon-Tweed Parish Baptism records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry,don't know parents names,I suspect they may be John M. b1771 and Jane b1774,but have no evidence to support this.He had siblings,Jane b1818,Mary b1818, Margaret b1811 and Thomas b1816.Thanks.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Ancroft C of E:

John Matthison baptised 24 Oct 1809 1st son of Thomas Matthison of Cheswick, native of East Ord, Parish of Tweedmouth by his wife Jane daur of John Watson of Unthank, Farmer, Native of Beal, Parish of Holy Island, born 27 Sep 1809

Margaret Mattison born 8 Jan 1808, baptised 29 Jan 1st daur of Thomas Mattison, same details as above.

I don't know if these are yous or not.  The Cheswick seems to match

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juniorhack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I think you may be right! One of Johns children had the middle name of Watson.
           One thing that puzzles me,is the year of birth,I know about census records being rounded up or down but I would have thought to the nearest round figure,it would appear Johns age was consistently wrong all his life!
           Many thanks for the info,how would I go further back as I want to find out if the reputed Norwegian ancestry is true!

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
The ages were rounded down.  A person listed as 20 could be 20,21,22,23,24. 
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Probable baptisms of some of Johns siblings at the United Presbyterian Chapel in Spittal.

Jane Mathewson, daughter of Thomas Mathewson and Jane, his wife, Chiswick, Parish of Ancroft and County of Durham, born June 27th and baptized July 23rd 1811.

Thomas Mathison, son of Thomas Mathison and Jane, his wife, Cheswick, in the Parish of Ancroft, County of Durham, born 15th and baptized 25th March 1814.

Robert Mathison, son of Thomas Mathison and of Jane, his wife, of Cheswick in the Parish of Ancroft, County of Durham, born 4th, baptized 18th May 1816.

How about this baptism at the same Chapel in Spittal, given Janis info that Johns father Thomas was a native of East Ord.

Thomas Matheson and Marjory Matheson in East Ord had a child born Sept 18th and baptized Febr 22nd 1770, called Thomas.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline juniorhack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Janis and Alan,Brilliant work, many thanks,I expected spelling variations but not as many as that! Cheers Pete.

Offline reubencat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Ancroft C of E:

John Matthison baptised 24 Oct 1809 1st son of Thomas Matthison of Cheswick, native of East Ord, Parish of Tweedmouth by his wife Jane daur of John Watson of Unthank, Farmer, Native of Beal, Parish of Holy Island, born 27 Sep 1809

Margaret Mattison born 8 Jan 1808, baptised 29 Jan 1st daur of Thomas Mattison, same details as above.

I don't know if these are yous or not.  The Cheswick seems to match

Janis

Hi Janis, I think I might be a descendent of the John Watson, farmer of Unthank, that you have found. I am almost certainly related to his daughter Jane via the Matthison connection. The most far back ancestor on my family tree is Ralph Watson, farmer of Unthank, Tweedmouth who was born in Beal around 1779. I have also found two Adminstrative bonds that connect the Watson and Matthison families to a farm at Fenham near Beal. However I can't find any further information on the John Watson you mention above through web searches. So I wondered how you came across it?  I would really love to identify Ralph's parents and siblings, so any suggestions about where to look would be most, welcome.
Best wishes, Reuben