Author Topic: Help Please: Arms of Sykes of Driglington & Sledmere  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please: Arms of Sykes of Driglington & Sledmere
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 April 12 14:33 BST (UK) »
If you are getting the blazons from Burke's General Armory be very wary because it cannot be relied upon.  From personal experience & research I have found one very detailed entry to be for (heraldically) "unlawful" Arms.

When time permits I will try to do some research in the various Arms associated with the name Sykes. 
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 April 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
A quick flick through Burke's Peerage of 1881 has the possible explanation that Richard Sykes, father of the 1st Baronet of Sledmere assumed in 1723 the crest A demi river deity rising from reeds, blowing a shell, and wreathed about the temples with wreaths, proper in lieu of the original "branded bull".

Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 April 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
I know in Scotland that with the tartan the the line coming down the kilt tartan is the male line and the one coming across is the female line
and that they combine the tartans of the two houses and come up with a new tartan and I beleive its the same with the shields and crests  maybe they do something similar in England with family crests.
marcie

Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 April 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
I know in Scotland that with the tartan the the line coming down the kilt tartan is the male line and the one coming across is the female line
and that they combine the tartans of the two houses and come up with a new tartan and I beleive its the same with the shields and crests  maybe they do something similar in England with family crests.
marcie

Crests in England (there is no such thing as family crests) unlike shields are rarely combined in any way.  Occasionally an individual may adopt the crest of a wife's father particularly if that family is more prominent.  This would involve a new coat of arms being granted.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 April 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
It seems that the Sykes of Sledmere and the Sykes of Driglington have exactly the same Coat of Arms but have different crest, does anybody why?

It is an individual who has Arms, not a family !

Have a look at
http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/Faq.htm

The final way to answer these questions = and ones like them in England and Wales - is to ask the College of Arms (and be prepared to pay!). Not only will they know who is entitled to which arms, they will also hold records of the granting of the arms (or may say, of course, that the person concerned has no right to arms at all). For Scotland it's Lord Lyon King of Arms.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan